Main Menu

Audio Jack Broke

Started by Blaze, January 19, 2014, 11:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blaze

So, somehow I managed to bust the front audio jack for my Tower.
I can get my headphones plugged in, however the audio is very quiet, much too quiet for my liking.

I tried using the rear audio jack that is straight to the motherboard, however oddly that one has ceased function at some point at the same time.
Windows did update, might have done it, that's not the issue though.

The issue is I managed to break my front audio jack, all that is broken is the little metal ring on the outside of it, and trying to place it back in did nothing.
I'm currently running on a bandaid fix, using external speakers plugged in the broken jack with the metal ring on the plug for the speakers for stability.

I have music, it's loud enough for me, but there is feedback from the speakers. Which is slowly killing my sanity.
The question of this thread is as follows.

How. Do. I. Fix.

Music is one of the main things that keeps me going, keeps me motivated for much of anything, and though this bandaid fix is working, there is no telling for how long.
Fiddled with it for half an hour just to get it where it is...

I don't care if I have to take my computer mostly apart to switch the audio jack with a working one, I just need it fixed. Without feedback. :'(

Blaze

Well if all goes well I'll have a permanent fix.
My fingers hurt, but it's worth it. And it was also worth keeping that old tower around.

Now to install it in place of the old jacks and find a way to feed it to the front of my computer.
It's going to be unsightly, but I don't really care.

I now realize I should have maybe waited to make this thread, but it's too late now.

Blaze

Well it took a little bit, but I took the old tower's port.
Pulled the metal case away from the plastic case, undid the plastic casing's clips and got the audio ports out.

After that I plugged it in, ran the cords through the back and it's half way up the side of my computer that faces the corner of my desk and wall.
Now to get tape that'll hold it up so it's not pulling the cord down.

Anyhow, all is right again. I should have waited to make this thread but I was in a panic. :D

Flabort

half hour before asking for help, then 25 minutes more and you find a solution.
That's good, actually, first because you knew you can't always find the solution, second because you actually found the solution!
Means that you're probably very good at what you do, unless you happen to do manual labor.

I'd panic too if I couldn't hear anything. I don't think I've had your problems, but I apparently have a larger budget for headphones than any other hardware. :p
My maps: Top scores: Sugarplum, Cryz Dal, Cryz Torri, Cryz Bohz (Click fetch scores, page courtesy of kwinse)

Blaze

Quote from: Flabort on January 20, 2014, 12:12:56 AM
half hour before asking for help, then 25 minutes more and you find a solution.
That's good, actually, first because you knew you can't always find the solution, second because you actually found the solution!
Means that you're probably very good at what you do, unless you happen to do manual labor.

I'd panic too if I couldn't hear anything. I don't think I've had your problems, but I apparently have a larger budget for headphones than any other hardware. :p

I could hear stuff, but it wasn't what it should be.
And my sister gave me the idea to swap the jacks, my fingers still hurt from prying apart metal and plastic tabs that held the old ones in. ::)

Either way, this whole time I've just been listening to music enjoying the good mood fixing the issue gave me.

Grauniad

Quote from: Blaze on January 20, 2014, 01:23:22 AM
my fingers still hurt from prying apart metal and plastic tabs that held the old ones in. ::)

A small toolkit is a good idea.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Blaze

Quote from: Grauniad on January 20, 2014, 09:47:58 AM
Quote from: Blaze on January 20, 2014, 01:23:22 AM
my fingers still hurt from prying apart metal and plastic tabs that held the old ones in. ::)

A small toolkit is a good idea.

Got any suggestions?
I have a small pack of small screw drivers, but I had forgotten about those.

Grauniad

This or something like this is a good starting place.  Or you can just buy a few small pliers (needle-nose and one with a bent nose to complement your existing tools.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-55-Piece-Computer-Tool-Black/dp/B00004Z6XS/

Blaze

Quote from: Grauniad on January 20, 2014, 01:37:41 PM
This or something like this is a good starting place.  Or you can just buy a few small pliers (needle-nose and one with a bent nose to complement your existing tools.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-55-Piece-Computer-Tool-Black/dp/B00004Z6XS/

Out of price range at the moment, but bookmarking for when I can get it.
Thanks, should be really useful.

I've just been using my hands or an 11in1 screwdriver. :D

Grauniad

Blaze

Quote from: Grauniad on January 20, 2014, 06:20:48 PM
Bookmark this slightly cheaper and equally good one. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004Z6N6/

Done, thanks.
I'll be sure to pick one of these up before doing my next build.