Main Menu

Gaming mouse

Started by Blaze, December 02, 2013, 11:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blaze

So my current mouse is starting to finally die off, often double and even triple clicking when I only click once.
Seeing as it's that time of the year, I'm looking for a new mouse, looking right now as a matter of fact.

I figured I'd ask here and get some additional input.
All I'm looking for is the left/right/wheel buttons, and two right side thumb buttons.
Has to be about five inches long (my current one is about 4.7/4.8 inches and is perfect), as I use palm grip.

And, most of all I'm trying to find one that also has on the fly DPI adjusting, and it must be wired as well.
So I don't have to deal with switching my in-game settings when I want to snipe, or want to fight close range. :D

Blaze

Apologies for the double post so soon, but I'm currently looking at the Logitech G500S.

Normally I wouldn't double post, but Grauniad has told me several times to just do it since it shows as an update, or something. :D

Grauniad

Blaze, sorry, I know precious little about gaming mice. Maybe someone else can help you out.

Newegg does have a feature where you can sort a category such as "gaming mouse" by number of reviews or by the highest rated products.  The one you listed shows only 6 reviews - so either very new or not a popular choice.

Amazon also shows bestsellers in a category and that is also a useful way to determine a good product.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Grauniad

This may help you decide: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6855/capsule-review-logitechs-g100s-g500s-and-g700s-gaming-mice

Breaking my own recommendation, I am editing this to add this interesting page:  http://www.engadget.com/products/logitech/mice/

Blaze

Despite all I've read on it, and looking at several others, I really like the G500S, it's got all I want.
I'll keep looking around, but in the end it seems I'll end up going for this mouse.

Found it on Amazon, 32 reviews, 18 of which are five stars, 12 are four star reviews.
One three star and one two star reviews, both of which due to their personal preference as I read it.

It's also on the most popular's first page, though on the second to bottom row.
Of course I'll keep looking, but unless I find something that calls to me as well, then this will be it.

Grauniad

The Anandtech reviewer indicated that the G500 (precursor to the G500s) was his favorite as well, so it's seems a good choice for you. Happy hunting.

Blaze

Quote from: Grauniad on December 03, 2013, 01:34:31 AM
The Anandtech reviewer indicated that the G500 (precursor to the G500s) was his favorite as well, so it's seems a good choice for you. Happy hunting.

Thanks, I've been playing a lot (and I mean a lot) of Planetside 2 lately, the mouse seems really good for FPS type games.
Add on the three DPI profiles, means I can have level one be for sniping, second be for standard medium/close range, and third for Aircraft.

Even though I suck at flying. ::)

Again though, going to look for a few more days, made too many mistakes when I just went for something finding out later there was something better...

Grauniad

Quote from: Blaze on December 03, 2013, 02:38:30 AM

Again though, going to look for a few more days, made too many mistakes when I just went for something finding out later there was something better...

Very wise.

Grayzzur

I have a G700 myself and love it. It has more buttons than you're after. It can be wireless or wired. When you plug the cable in, it charges the battery and does data-over-wire. When you unplug it, it's wireless. I also have an older G5 mouse (not 500, just 5), my previous gaming mouse, which I think is an old predecessor to the G500S you're looking at. It has the adjustable weights and such, and is also a nice mouse. I mainly upgraded to the G700 because I wanted more buttons on my mouse.

On the gaming profiles, most Logitech mice seem to follow the pattern of 3 DPI profiles out of the box, and up to 5 customized profiles with the software drivers.

The big thing for me on mice is the shape and how it fits my hand. My hands are a little big, and I've tried Razor mice, but they just feel "wierd" in my hand. I don't like the way my hand sits on them and my fingers hang over the shape of their buttons. Logitech mice feel right to me, so I tend to stick with them primarily for that reason.

Best Buy is a nice place to try out a mouse if you're not 100% sure you want it. I bought the aforementioned Razor mouse from them, and returned it with the reason "I don't like it, it doesn't fit in my hand."
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

Blaze

Quote from: Grayzzur on December 03, 2013, 10:51:18 AM
I have a G700 myself and love it. It has more buttons than you're after. It can be wireless or wired. When you plug the cable in, it charges the battery and does data-over-wire. When you unplug it, it's wireless. I also have an older G5 mouse (not 500, just 5), my previous gaming mouse, which I think is an old predecessor to the G500S you're looking at. It has the adjustable weights and such, and is also a nice mouse. I mainly upgraded to the G700 because I wanted more buttons on my mouse.

On the gaming profiles, most Logitech mice seem to follow the pattern of 3 DPI profiles out of the box, and up to 5 customized profiles with the software drivers.

The big thing for me on mice is the shape and how it fits my hand. My hands are a little big, and I've tried Razor mice, but they just feel "wierd" in my hand. I don't like the way my hand sits on them and my fingers hang over the shape of their buttons. Logitech mice feel right to me, so I tend to stick with them primarily for that reason.

Best Buy is a nice place to try out a mouse if you're not 100% sure you want it. I bought the aforementioned Razor mouse from them, and returned it with the reason "I don't like it, it doesn't fit in my hand."

I'll have to check out Best Buy to see if they have the mouse so I can try it.
And I thought about to G700S, but it has more buttons than I'd ever use, along with the wireless aspect, something else I'd never use.
I also like the display on the G500S that shows what DPI profile it's on.

So I figured save a little bit and go for the G500S.

I've got a Razer Deathadder right now, took some getting used to but otherwise suited my needs.
The one thing I hated about this one is the texture, it's smooth on the side, and might as well be on the top.

Oddly enough the one we were going to buy had two side buttons, and a textured side.
I don't know why the model we got was different, but I didn't have a decent working mouse so I just dealt with it, as it was far better than what I had at the time.

Blaze

After looking around some more I couldn't find anything that called to me more than this mouse, so I decided to go for it while the sales are still holding.
Once it gets here I still have to wait for Christmas before I can use it anyhow. :D

Grayzzur

At least this time of year most places give you until the end of January to return things!
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

MadMag

Blaze

Thought somebody would enjoy this.
The multi-click issue is getting worse, first two tabs would open when I clicked once.
Then three, and just now was four tabs.

I wonder how long until ten. :D
In other news, mouse just got cleared to ship and should arrive shortly.
Then I just have to wait until the 25th to use it...