PCMCIA Express Graphics Card

Started by CobraKill, November 23, 2013, 01:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CobraKill

Alright, I've done some searches and I'm turning up nothing, so I figured I'd try asking before I give up. I just got a new laptop that is fast but had integrated graphics: Intel HD 4000. My laptop has a PCMCIA Express slot (ExpressCard) and I was wondering if anyone has seen a graphics card you can buy and stick in their. I know you can buy adapters to plug in full powered cards but I want one that'll be portable.

If I can't my second option would to be to look for the NVIDIA NVS 5200M that my laptop can have and see if I could put it in myself, even though I highly doubt I could find one or get it installed, I have some OEM connections.
Never trust a computer that doesn't fit through your nearest window.

Grayzzur

Laptops are tricky when it comes to upgrades.

From what I can tell, PCMCIA video cards were a niche market about 10 years ago and they don't make them anymore.

If there's an nVidia or AMD video card option specifically for your laptop, that is your best bet, I think. Assuming it's something that can be plugged in, and not something that's optional when you order it new and gets soldered on.
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

Grauniad

I was very surprised when you mentioned the PCMCIA graphics option in chat, since I've never heard of it. In fact PCMCIA cards are legacy also, and has largely been superseded by Express Cards. See this Wikipedia article.

Give us the make/model of your laptop and I can have a look if the manufacturer's website has information on it. If it is a Dell, the best way to get information is the Service Tag number.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

CobraKill

My dad said it was a PCMCIA Express Card. I took a better look at it this morning and it's actually an express card. Also when I looked at at Dell's website, there weren't any ExpressCard options for it. I'll search a little more today and also have my dad ask the guy who got me my laptop. Otherwise I'll open it up and check if the GPU is slot or it's soldered on.

Laptop: Dell Latitude E6530

Grauniad

Hmm...  there are no indications whatsoever that the card is an aftermarket add-on.

Your PC will be perfectly fine for games like CW3. I played it on the much older HD graphics on my i5-2500K.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

CobraKill

I don't think I'm going to be able to find anything. I'll have my dad ask one guy but otherwise I'm stuck with integrated graphics. Mind you, it's much better than my old one, but it could be better.