Main Menu

Dual Monitors

Started by Blaze, September 03, 2013, 12:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grauniad

Blaze. Who makes it? Optiquest or Viewsonic?
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Blaze

Quote from: Grauniad on September 04, 2013, 03:40:03 PM
Blaze. Who makes it? Optiquest or Viewsonic?

I believe Optiquest does...
I think it's made by them and called the Q7 or something.

I'm not entirely sure, the monitor is not in my possession at this time, but will be in time.
Whenever my mother gets around to bringing it here, so no estimated date. :D

Blaze

I hate double posting, but I was told to before since editing doesn't properly bump the thread, and this is an update.

Got the monitor today, went out to a few stores and none had the proper adapter cord I needed.
So I found one on Amazon, 69% off. Instead of paying $25 I get to pay $7.67 and it has free shipping.
Reviews are great too, didn't see any issues others had with it.

The only downside is I need to wait for shipping which is about ten days.
Not an issue considering how much I save. :D

Even better since it's coming from my money, which is $60 saved up from birthday cash.
Of course it's not on a card, so my dad is ordering it and I'm giving him the cost back from my money.

Edit: Just ordered it, discount went up to 77% dropping it to $5.66, however added $2 to shipping, meaning I saved one cent. ::)
However, my dad refused to take the money, saying he'll come get it if he needs it, which won't happen.
I know because he's done this before.

I pushed it, but he wouldn't take it there, even though he has to spend about $200 on the car he is getting me to get it cleaned.
He already spent $100 to get the title and temporary tags, has to spend more to get it cleaned since he is getting it for free from a hoarder.
More of this on the "What did you do today...?" topic.

Blaze

Adapter arrived today!

However it wouldn't plug in all the way due to the bulky plastic cover on the DP side, so I had to file the plastic down to get it to plug in.
Afterwords it wasn't working right so I rebooted, but decided to update my mouse/keyboard/audio driver control program, and now it's busted again and won't show up.

Meaning my mouse DPI is maxed out and moving ten pixels at a time...

Anyhow, anybody know how to set up a different wallpaper on the second display?
It's showing my current wallpaper, and I was hoping I could use my massive wallpaper collection on cycle on the second display while showing only one on my main display.

I've gotta go do some chores and reboot my computer again and hope my driver program works again, I don't want to have to fix it all over again, so I'll check back in a little bit.

Edit: Does uh, does anybody know how to get a smell out of plastic?
I got the monitor back from my mother, who smokes various things, and this thing reeks...

I've scrubbed what I could, and it still smells... :-\

Edit 2: Did a bit of research since I got a minute to, and looks like I need a program for the different backgrounds thing.
Oh well, whatever works.

Grauniad

Blaze.. updating posts means we don't see them.. :) I'll look into this in a few and see if I have any answers.  Smoke is terrible, you can hardly get it out and believe it or not, it will even cover some inside parts. Just keep it in a well-ventilated area and over time the smell will diminish. You could on a clear day put it on the porch. Should take no more than two weeks.

From everything I hear, trying to clean it could do more harm than good.

Get your Mom to stop smoking, it's really bad for her health.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Cavemaniac

Quote from: Grauniad on September 19, 2013, 03:46:53 PM
I'll look into this in a few and see if I have any answers.  Smoke is terrible, you can hardly get it out and believe it or not, it will even cover some inside parts. Just keep it in a well-ventilated area and over time the smell will diminish. You could on a clear day put it on the porch. Should take no more than two weeks.

What he said!

You may find that an odor neutralizing product like Febreze may help - but I'd certainly only apply it gently to the outside plastic with a cloth. For heavens sake don't spray it - you run the risk of causing damage. This stuff saved my life when I lived in the UK where everyone still smokes - I used to put it on everything.

On a related note: I was once told that a molecule of cigarette smoke is bigger than the gap between a Hard disc and it's read head - so smoke can do massive damage to a hard drive.

Sounds like an urban myth, but there was probably some truth in it years ago.

Interestingly, I noticed that 'dry powder' fire extinguishers are no longer used in office environments in the UK - insurance companies got sick of replacing computers that had sucked in the powder after an extinguisher had been deployed!
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Blaze

Quote from: Grauniad on September 19, 2013, 03:46:53 PM
Blaze.. updating posts means we don't see them.. :) I'll look into this in a few and see if I have any answers.  Smoke is terrible, you can hardly get it out and believe it or not, it will even cover some inside parts. Just keep it in a well-ventilated area and over time the smell will diminish. You could on a clear day put it on the porch. Should take no more than two weeks.

Yeah I know updating posts doesn't properly bump the thread, I updated that post after posting it, it was a new post so I figured people would see it still. ::)

Anyhow, I used a good cleaner on the base of it and I don't smell it anymore, since it smelled the worst on the base.
I suspect she had her ash tray there or something and she never cleans those, probably knocked it over a few times or something.
And trust me, we've tried, and now that she is no longer living with us (Us being my Dad sisters and I) since the divorce, she won't even make an attempt.
But that's a story for another time, probably not for these forums I suspect.

In other news, despite the little hiccup of the plastic cover being too big, everything is working fine, and I'm now able to put all those wallpapers I collected over the years to good use. :D
However I can't host games despite doing the same thing as last time, only difference is we changed bundle plans (slightly faster internet and cut some other stuff), same provider though (U-Verse).

I'm still looking around, but I may make a dedicated thread here since I have no clue what is going on with it. :-\

Quote from: Cavemaniac on September 19, 2013, 04:10:34 PM
Interestingly, I noticed that 'dry powder' fire extinguishers are no longer used in office environments in the UK - insurance companies got sick of replacing computers that had sucked in the powder after an extinguisher had been deployed!

Just how many fires broke out in offices for them to make the decision? :D

teknotiss

perhaps you mum could try an electric cigarette/nicotine vapouriser? a few of my customers have switched and it's much nicer going into their homes and not smelling of smoke when i leave (bit off topic i know ::))
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Blaze

Quote from: teknotiss on September 19, 2013, 06:32:41 PM
perhaps you mum could try an electric cigarette/nicotine vapouriser? a few of my customers have switched and it's much nicer going into their homes and not smelling of smoke when i leave (bit off topic i know ::))

Yes, it is off-topic, but allow me to end it with this.
She is beyond quitting, she's done so several times but has taken it back up.
And I never said what she smoked. ::)