Main Menu

Dual Monitors

Started by Blaze, September 03, 2013, 12:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blaze

One thing I wasn't looking at when picking my video card (Radeon HD 7770) was multiple monitor capability.
It supports up to six, apparently, and I should be able to get a spare monitor.

So I was thinking on setting up for dual monitors, I just want to know what it takes, like anything I need to buy for connections, and what the draw backs are.
I'm mainly looking at performance issues while playing games, though I don't plan on rendering the game on the extra monitor if I can help it.

Figured I'd ask here since I know the community better. ::)

Grauniad

Simple enough. Make sure your 2nd monitor supports one of the connections available on the back of the graphics card.

Plug it in and then use Catalyst Control Center (CCC) to define how you want to use the two monitors.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Blaze

My Graphics card has two USB slots on it next to the plug for the monitor.
Using the main slot for my current monitor, and the only other connector that fits is the one on my motherboard, which when this was plugged into my motherboard I had no feed.
Looks like I'll have to go with a USB adapter, if that exists...

I don't even have the monitor, it was given to my mother in exchange for the one I use now which is much better, since she needed one for work purposes.
However she no longer works from home thus probably doesn't use it, so chances are I can get it back, just gotta contact her.

When I told my dad this, he said it probably wouldn't work since they have the be the same size, while I don't believe this to be true, but I am unsure.
I want to be sure it'd work before doing anything, so covering all worries I have.

Grauniad

Post the specific make of your GPU card. Post the specific make/model of both displays.

There are no USB ports on the GPU card, they'r either HDMI or DisplayPort. You can get adapters to convert, but I've never used those, so I won't be able to advise much on what to get as an adapter.

I'm running my system on two monitors of different size. So does Virgil IIRC.

dlbushman

I currently run 2 monitors at home, one from my video card, and the other off the motherboard.  I had to go into the BIOS to set it to always activate the motherboard monitor first, because my system kept freezing up when I just plugged it in.

Seems to work OK, but I get a lot of video card remnant, or small little boxes that look like they're glued to the screen.  It gets worse when I play graphics intense games like WoW or Diablo, and it happens on both monitors.  Perhaps I'll post some screenshots here when I get home with more exact system specs.  I've been meaning to post something about it on the WoW tech support forums to get some insight, but I haven't yet.  I've tried several different things (fully updated drivers, older drivers, both for the video card and cpu), nothing seems to work.

They are different sizes as well, the one off the video card is my main one, a 24" widescreen LED.  The one off the motherboard is an older 17" LCD, which only has the standard blue monitor cable.  My video card only has 2 HDMI outputs.

Anyway, I would recommend running them both off the video card, and not doing what I have now, it just causes problems.

Blaze

Quote from: Grauniad on September 03, 2013, 10:22:50 AM
Post the specific make of your GPU card. Post the specific make/model of both displays.

There are no USB ports on the GPU card, they'r either HDMI or DisplayPort. You can get adapters to convert, but I've never used those, so I won't be able to advise much on what to get as an adapter.

I'm running my system on two monitors of different size. So does Virgil IIRC.

They must be HDMI then, that's what I get for looking in the dark at 7:20 a.m in the morning. ::)
I'll have to get the make/model off the other one, but the make/model for my current display can be gotten now.
I just need to figure out where it is, so I'll get back to you on that once I find it...

It's right on the back, going to be a pain to read with how it's set up.

Got it, HSG1108, I'll make a call and try to get the other one soon.
Looked again and my display card has an HDMI and one DP port on it.
I wonder if my current monitor can use one of those instead to free up the other port for the other monitor.

It has a DVI port but I do not have a cord for that and it'd use the same slot it's in now.
Currently using that old big blue plug monitors use. :D
No slot for an HDMI cable or anything of the sort.

If I do a dual setup I'll need an adapter.

MizInIA

get a hdmi to DVI cable. DVI is just HDMI without the audio. so naturally the have an entirely different looking plug. :) they also make DP to HDMI and DP to DVI cables. using the DVI port on your monitor should/may give you a better picture.

Blaze

Quote from: MizInIA on September 03, 2013, 01:01:51 PM
get a hdmi to DVI cable. DVI is just HDMI without the audio. so naturally the have an entirely different looking plug. :) they also make DP to HDMI and DP to DVI cables. using the DVI port on your monitor should/may give you a better picture.

Without audio? You'll have to expand on that for me...
I think we have an HDMI cable somewhere, if I get the proper adapter I could set it up, and use the other plug for my second monitor.

MizInIA

Quote from: Blaze on September 03, 2013, 02:16:09 PM
Quote from: MizInIA on September 03, 2013, 01:01:51 PM

Without audio? You'll have to expand on that for me...
I think we have an HDMI cable somewhere, if I get the proper adapter I could set it up, and use the other plug for my second monitor.

Basically HDMI and DVI speak the same language. The difference (other than how the port looks) is HDMI also carries audio in the same cable as the video. that is why TVs use HDMI where computer monitors traditionally use DVI. newegg and amazon both have hdmi to dvi cables for under $10 and I saw an HDMI to DVI adapter for $2.10 on amazon.
i don't know what resolution monitor you have but to cloud the waters there is also single link and dual link DVI (just buy the dual link and it will work on either.) the difference being dual link has more pins so it can carry more data and operate at higher resolution. wikipedia does a good job explaining it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

here is an article that explains the ports pretty well and isn't to geeky.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/32524/whats-the-difference-between-hdmi-and-dvi-which-is-better/

Grauniad

Please, help us to help you.

Who made your Radeon card? MSI? what specific model number does it have? Is your monitor a Hannspree?

Here is how I use Speccy to get everything about my graphics quick and easy:

Grauniad

The very best place on the Internet to buy cables is monoprice.com. Use the PriceBlink coupon to get the employee discount (same price for one as if you ordered 50 in bulk).

You only need dual-link DVI if you go over 1920x1080. The price and bulk is substantially more since it has all those extra wires.

Blaze

Quote from: Grauniad on September 03, 2013, 03:49:11 PM
Please, help us to help you.

Who made your Radeon card? MSI? what specific model number does it have? Is your monitor a Hannspree?

If memory servers right (I almost fell asleep not ten minutes ago mind you) PowerColor made my card.
I don't know where I'd get the model number, presuming on the card itself.

Last second search brought this up, it's the exact newegg entry I bought the card from.
PowerColor Radeon HD 7770

My monitor is indeed a Hannspree.

Attached file of Speccy, snipped out just the graphics section.

I can get the model number and other information from the other monitor tomorrow, just let me know what you need off of it.

Quote from: Grauniad on September 03, 2013, 03:52:45 PM
The very best place on the Internet to buy cables is monoprice.com. Use the PriceBlink coupon to get the employee discount (same price for one as if you ordered 50 in bulk).

You only need dual-link DVI if you go over 1920x1080. The price and bulk is substantially more since it has all those extra wires.

I'll take a look at that website if  I can't find something in a nearby store.

And my current resolution is 1920x1080, would adding a second monitor count as going over 1920x1080?

MizInIA

Quote from: Grauniad on September 03, 2013, 03:49:11 PM
Is your monitor a Hannspree?

sorry all I could think of is this.

MizInIA

Quote from: Blaze on September 03, 2013, 04:15:30 PM

And my current resolution is 1920x1080, would adding a second monitor count as going over 1920x1080?
that is a restriction of the cable so no adding a second monitor doesn't count.

Blaze

Other Monitor's model number is VS10807.
Attached a picture I found online of how the monitor looked, just a simple front view.

Mainly did that because while looking around for a confirmation picture I came across a model that was said to be using the same number but looked slightly different.
The picture I attached is how mines looks.