My Linux/SteamOs build

Started by Grauniad, January 09, 2014, 09:49:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grauniad

I'm *this* close to starting to build a machine to run either Linux or SteamOS by buying this case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163195

This will be a radical departure for me. About a year ago I built my first "small" PC in the Bitfenix Prodigy case. That was an interesting exercise and I learned a lot about working in smaller cases. While I was overall satisfied with the build, I felt that on retrospection, I could have done a better job of it.

So if I start this time, I intend getting the case first, all by itself, then spending some time studying that case and planning my build and seeing what can go where.

I'm not sure whether I'll use the additional machine with my current keyboard/monitors with a KVM or what I'll do. Hopefully if it morphs into a SteamOS machine it'll get to where I can connect it to the living room TV - but that will also present some interesting "challenges" - for one thing, I am already over-committed on HDMI ports and I don't know of many TVs that come with more than 4 HDMI inputs. Right now I need about 7. So I may also along the lines start investigating a HDMI switch.

Anyway, I'm typing this in lieu of actually buying the case right now and will use this thread to track my progress (or lack of it).

Edit: Interestingly enough, it is one of the few times when it will make sense to buy this through Amazon, since I get free 2-day shipping on Amazon and it's $5 cheaper there. So saving the shipping (this is not eligible for my much-loved Shoprunner - too heavy I think) and the $5 price differential makes it cheaper on Amazon than avoiding State sales tax that Amazon charges.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Grauniad

Found this image - I'm thinking it's just *stupid* to put such a humongous cooler in that Silverstone case. :)

The image link takes one to the Guru3D review.

MizInIA

how about this? WAY better than an HDMI splitter and better sound quality. :)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3JX17S8905

Grauniad