The Sync-war has started

Started by Grauniad, January 06, 2014, 06:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grauniad

I wrote about [ur=http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=15100.0l]Nvidia's G-Sync technology[/url] and how it would tie entire platforms to Nvidia Technology.

Well, at CES 2014 AMD announced Freesync and demonstrated it on off-the-shelf laptops. Let the gaming commence!
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Grauniad

A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Flabort

In your linked Freesync article, it states that the Xbox One and PS4 should already have support for this technology. But does not mention the Wii U.
Which has a AMD GPU, so shouldn't it also be able to support this technology as well? From this specs guide:
QuoteWii U graphics are powered by a newer generation of AMD's ATI graphics processor (GPU). Little is known about the Wii U graphics chip, but it will be based on AMD's recent Radeon HD design, and it will be made at 40nm. The graphics and CPU are expected to share the same memory (RAM), but will also include its own frame buffer of 32 MB. The Wii U graphics technology means that this will be the third time Nintendo works with ATI for the console GPU. The Wii U graphics processor has been in development since 2010, according to reports, and it's based on the Radeon HD 5000 series technology. For more, check out the Wii U GPU page.

Granted, however, I don't understand enough of this technical talk to fully grasp the concept. However, I do understand that this battle is going to be... tense. And games will get better graphics and worse gameplay again as a result, as developers have to spend more time working with the graphics engines and have less time for innovation and level design.

Sorry, small derail, but do you remember Wario's Woods? Awesome game, very fun, with cute (pixely) graphics, but most importantly, unique. I look at today's market, and take 5 random picks. All basically the same, just different levels of gore and firepower. Sorry, I'll let you return to your regularly scheduled hardware talk.
My maps: Top scores: Sugarplum, Cryz Dal, Cryz Torri, Cryz Bohz (Click fetch scores, page courtesy of kwinse)

miquelfire

The Wii U might be using a design before the compatible Freesync tech. Or it supports it, but because of how much of a flop it's been, the article write just didn't care.