Some useful SSD background

Started by Grauniad, October 09, 2013, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grauniad

This article in Tom's Hardware discusses some Intel SSDs, but by reference and inference, it touches on a number of design factors that may be considerations for any other SSD out there, things like performacne, durability, reliability and so forth.

Good reading for anyone wanting to build a solid background knowledge of SSD facts.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Grauniad

Here is a very handly index to many different SSDs and reviews about them.  http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

Grauniad

For grins, watch the Newegg video unboxing the Samsung 840 EVO 250GB.

When Paul removes the cover from the SSD, prepare to be astounded...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147249

Grauniad

Came across some very useful SSD numbers today.

One is Anandtech's  calculations for the Samsung 840 Evo drive in various capacities.

The other was an estimate (by OCZ) of their new Vector 150 SSD.

Now clearly, this is not apples-to-apples, but it is worrying. If I was OCZ, I'm try and address this somehow.'

There was a time that OCZ was a very well-respected name in high-performance components, but they made some critical missteps with SSDs and it just doesn't seem as if they can recover.

Grauniad

Perhaps some foreground information as well. :)

Here's a leaked Intel Roadmap that indicates that Intel will announce 2TB SSD drives in 2Q2014. That's Summer, next year.

Also interesting is the PCI-e drives (Apart from the now-defunct OCZ, no other manufacturer had consumer-grade PCI-E SSDs - not that these are, they are  enterprise-grade if one looks at the endurance factors quoted.) Actually, the article expressly notes that these are enterprise grade, with high durability and long retention spans.

All-in-all a really good read is one is interested in SSDs.

On that, I bet few of you knew that an unpowered SSDs will not retain data on it indefinitely. I think on consumer-grade data begins to deteriorate within a few months if the SSD and firmware on the device is not powered and able to refresh the memory states.