Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: siege

Author: krew

Desc:
my first attempt at making a map..
Can you survive the spore wave?

cvtfwlbt

Thank you for your map, krew! I think you could have made two maps instead of just one: this being your first map, I suppose that you decided to throw together some ideas you had in mind, but the spore wave feels very disjoined from the rest of the game. First time playing, I thought that surviving the wave was the challenge and that I'd just have to put Thor squarely on top of the emitter, but then the "second map" began. I don't think I'll try this again, but it surely had some tuning and fixing behind it.

(Actually, in a way, it made me think of the "Rooms" maps from CW2)

Frozty

I didn't know what to make of your "two maps" comment before I played this, cvtfwlbt, but now I do.

I think the spore wave idea is incredibly clever, unique, and was a fun challenge to figure out the first time.  I don't remember seeing anything like that in the 400+ maps I've played.

The "second" map, well, I'm just at a loss.  After realizing that Thor alone wouldn't do it (first time ever I think in all the games I've played that Thor wasn't the overwhelming end to a map), and eventually with time away from me, I just started sandboxing . I'm pounding it with Thor, and 2 dozen mortars, and the original two bombers, and not making a dent.  50+ blasters dropped together into the box as well - nothing.  Maybe a slew of bombers?  At this point, it's beyond entertaining anymore to see just how much I can throw at it to equal the emitter (I've never built a map, so I don't really what the mathematical limits are, if any), unless there is some trick that I'm missing.

cvtfwlbt

The spore wave idea has been used before: Dad for example made a whole set of maps around the concept, but the difference is that in most other maps, once you clear the creeper, the map is over, or the waves are more frequent and you have to set up a defence. Here, while indeed fun to solve, it was more like an experiment, like "ok, you've solved this, let's get to something completely unrelated". That's why I think two maps could have been a good idea -and the reason of the reference to the CW2 maps.

As for how to beat the "second map"... well, I'll leave this to you: I'm sure you'll beat this one too! It's a matter of trying different things until it works ;) I actually had 30 mortars, plus the blasters, and nothing.... but I'll warn you: the worse part is not defeating the creeper, but connecting the 4 separate totems!

Frozty

>but I'll warn you: the worse part is not defeating the creeper, but connecting the 4 separate totems!

Well, I think I'll pass then.  There are more old CW1 maps for me still to play than I'll ever be able to finish.

I've never played CW2 or CW3.  Worth it? I do like the basic simplicity of CW1... I took a brief look at CW2 years ago and didn't care for it as much.  CW3 looked awesome on the surface, but maybe a little complicated and too much for the old computer I play CW1 on. I haven't looked at either again literally for years.