Nice Job, Hard Art & Quagmire Quest - Three map series by UpperKEES

Started by UpperKEES, April 01, 2010, 03:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

Quote from: Blaze on July 17, 2010, 12:24:56 AM
Both.  :)

Thanks.

Quote from: L'ythelle on July 17, 2010, 01:30:02 AM
I don't think drewling is a word in English. It could mean "a baby drew", much the same as a duckling is a baby duck, so you could save it for your next fantasy novel. I wonder what a drew looks like.  ???

If you typed your text into your word processor, could you copy and paste it into the map editor? Then you would have the benefit of spell check.

Thanks you as well. I've done that before (copy/paste from Word), but I think I became a bit lazy....

Quote from: F0R on July 17, 2010, 05:21:22 AM
i drewl for your blood

Play The Gravedigger. ;)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

wessew

Fish all day sleep all night

The smoking revolver

There is always a I in team

wessew

drives my friends nuts so im used to it
Fish all day sleep all night

ontheworld

UpperKEES

Title:
Hard Art 1: Horsemen
Difficulty:
Expert Only
Creeper type:
Land only
Remarks:
My first map in the Hard Art series. Your initial space is limited and the emitters can be hard to cap due to their location, although their intensity isn't very high. See intro text for more details.

Description:
This is part 1 of a 10 map series called 'Hard Art', inspired by well known artists (from both the real world and the creeper world).

I'll start with my favorite artist, known for his regular divisions of the plane and his 3D illusions.

ARTIST: M.C. Escher
TITLE: Horsemen
MATERIAL: lithograph & woodcut
YEAR: 1946
DIMENSIONS: 37.5 x 29.2 cm

The emitters will increase their frequency after 6, 9 and 12 minutes, but their intensity will stay the same.

Download page:
Hard Art 1: Horsemen
Comments page:
Comment here please
Full size screen shot:

Based on:

Title:
Hard Art 2: Envy
Difficulty:
Hard
Creeper type:
Land only
Remarks:
Based on a painting by Miss Melissa.

The more envy (green), the creepier it gets. Make sure the survivors won't become a victim of envy.

Description:
This map is based on a painting by Miss Melissa, probably the best known artist in the Creeper World. Not (yet) because of her works, but just because she's a very good and regular player as well.

Her paintings (for sale!) are very suitable to be translated into a CW map, so I've decided to use another of her works for a future one.

The more envy (green), the creepier it gets. Make sure the survivors won't become a victim of envy.

ARTIST: Melissa Dumais
TITLE: Envy
MATERIAL: acrylic on canvas
YEAR: 2009
DIMENSIONS: 50.8 x 40.6 cm

Download page:
Hard Art 2: Envy
Comments page:
Comment here please
Full size screen shot:

Based on:

Title:
Hard Art 3: Color Planes
Difficulty:
Hard
Creeper type:
Land only
Remarks:
This map contains 2 new types of emitters. The first kind will only start when the creeper has reached a certain level and the other type can be prevented from starting by keeping it safe for a couple of minutes. How many emitters will be active? It's all up to you!

Based on a painting by Piet Mondriaan.

Description:
Piet Mondriaan is well known for his art experiments and is considered to be the pioneer of modern art. Most of his works consist of straight lines and only use black, white, grey and the 3 primary colors.

This map is also an experiment, because it contains 2 'new' types of emitters that you can control yourself! (See below for more info.)

Every plane with the same color has its own characteristics:

Level 1, WHITE: contains upgrades or techs.

Level 2, GREY: contains emitters capped by a wall element. These walls will only dissolve when the creeper level above that plane is 2 elevation layers thick, so better prevent that! When the creeper levels go down again (below 2), the wall will stop dissolving, even when the creeper still touches it. Once the wall element has dissolved completely the emitter (intensity 2, interval 0.1 sec) will start.

Level 3, YELLOW: these planes are the same elevation level as the dark grey borders, so they are actually a little larger than it seems.

Level 4, RED: these planes also contain emitters capped by a wall element (except for the one with Odin City). The walls will start to dissolve immediately when the creeper touches them, but the emitters (intensity 8, interval 2 sec) will only start after 8 minutes. If you manage to keep the wall intact during the first 8 minutes, you are safe and the wall won't dissolve any further, thus capping the emitter for the rest of your game!

Level 5, BLUE: these planes contain normal, rather weak emitters (intensity 1, interval 0.5 sec). These are the only emitters that will emit creeper from the start of the game.

So it's up to you how many emitters you will be fighting! You'll notice that mortars and capped emitters don't go very well together, just like with 'normal' emitters, so pick their location carefully.

Please let me know what you think of this concept.

ARTIST: Piet Mondriaan
TITLE: Composition with Color Planes and Gray Lines 1
MATERIAL: Oil on canvas
YEAR: 1918
DIMENSIONS: 60.5 x 49 cm

Download page:
Hard Art 3: Color Planes
Comments page:
Comment here please
Full size screen shot:

Based on:

Title:
Hard Art 4: Impossible
Difficulty:
Hard
Creeper type:
Land & Air
Remarks:
Is this impossible cube impossible to you? Don't worry too much about the spores; there will be only 1 from each side and you have 6 minutes to prepare. After about 1 hour 6 of them will arrive from the top, but you should be finished by then.

Based on a detail of a work by M.C. Escher.

Description:
M.C. Escher is not only well known for his regular divisions of the plane (like Nice Job 22: The Artist and Hard Art 1: Horsemen), but even more for his impossible buildings and other structures. Most of these are rather hard to depict as a CW map, unlike this simple cube (also known as a Necker cube), which is based on a detail from his famous work Belvedere (see below).

Please note that every 3 minutes one spore will arrive from each direction, starting at 6 minutes playing time. Emitters will increase in strength (both intensity and frequency) after 2, 4, 6 and 8 minutes.

ARTIST: Maurits Cornelis Escher
TITLE: Detail from Belvedere
MATERIAL: lithograph
YEAR: 1958
DIMENSIONS: 46.2 × 29.5 cm

Download page:
Hard Art 4: Impossible
Comments page:
Comment here please
Full size screen shot:

Based on:

Detail of:

Title:
Hard Art 5: X-Ray Visor
Difficulty:
Hard
Creeper type:
Land only
Remarks:
This map is based on a painting by Alexander Betts (better known to us as NNR_Alex), who got inspired by the computer game Metroid Prime. I undid his work and turned his art back into a game again.

You'll be looking at your own hand through the X-ray visor. Literally a knuckle cracking map!

Description:
This map is based on the painting 'X-Ray Visor' by NNR_Alex, who is not only an artist, but also a very persistent player of my CW maps.

Creating his work he was inspired by the computer game Metroid Prime. Main character Samus Aran can use this visor upgrade to spot invisible enemies, areas and items. It also allows her to see through human flesh, thus showing the skeleton of her hand when she lifts her arm.

Every 2 minutes (starting after 10 seconds) the visor will need to recharge. This will temporarily blur your vision, which can be prevented by using the appropriate equipment.

Your weaponry is currently not available however. Like in many computer games you start with an empty inventory. Besides fighting skills you'll also need some puzzle skills to gather all of it and activate the rift.

ARTIST: Alexander Betts
TITLE: X-Ray Visor
MATERIAL: oil on wood
DIMENSIONS: 42 × 29.7 cm

Download page:
Hard Art 5: X-Ray Visor
Comments page:
Comment here please
Full size screen shot:

Based on:

UpperKEES

Title:
Hard Art 6: The Screams
Difficulty:
Hard
Creeper type:
Land only
Remarks:
You will probably need every type of unit to stop these screams; a mirrored version of the famous painting The Scream by Edvard Munch.

Although you'll find some details about the emitters in the opening text don't expect to beat this map on your first try.

Description:
This map is based on a mirrored version of the famous painting The Scream by Edvard Munch. He probably created this work after observing a blood red sky due to the 1883 eruption of the Krakatoa volcano when overlooking the Oslo-fjord.

The emitters are located underneath each totem and will increase in frequency at 3, 6, 9 and 12 minutes of playing time (their intensity of 5 will stay the same).

The emitters near the water will start after 30 seconds and the two bottom ones after 1 minute.

After 6 minutes the person on the left will scream very loud and both people will keep responding to each others screams every minute.

TITLE: The Scream
ARTIST: Edvard Munch
MATERIAL: Oil, tempera & pastel on cardboard
YEAR: 1893
DIMENSIONS: 91 x 73.5 cm

Download page:
Hard Art 6: The Screams
Comments page:
Comment here please
Full size screen shot:

Based on:

Title:
Hard Art 7: Blue Studies
Difficulty:
Expert Only
Creeper type:
Land only
Remarks:
Blue + yellow = green when mixing paint. Can you do that? You'll start off with quite some blue, but the amount of yellow will increase during the first 10 minutes, so make sure you've got your defences up in time! Emitters can be capped by 3 blasters, although one of them can't be capped forever...

Description:
Kandinsky was like Mondiaan one of the pioneers of modern art and compared colours with music.

I wasn't able to use the original colours (see map comments) and keep this map playable, so I transferred it into shades of blue and made the map more interesting by playing with the emitter frequencies; between minute 2 and 10 these will increase gradually.

Make sure you get your defences up quickly and use your limited space as efficient as possible!

ARTIST: Wassily Kandinsky
TITLE: Colour Studies
MATERIAL: oil on canvas
YEAR: 1913
DIMENSIONS: 56 x 71 cm

Download page:
Hard Art 7: Blue Studies
Comments page:
Comment here please
Full size screen shot:

Based on:

Title:
Hard Art 8: Mooon
Difficulty:
Hard
Creeper type:
Land only
Remarks:
As usual the start may cost you a few tries, but after that you'll find yourself in the middle of an interesting technical fight.

This is my second Hard Art map based on a painting by Miss Melissa (the other one being Hard Art 2: Envy).

Description:
This is my second map based on a work by Miss Melissa, who also is a very good CW player.

Fight you way through the moons and intersections of lines to reach the totems. All emitters (of intensity 5) can be capped by just one blaster and will increase their frequency after 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 minutes.

ARTIST: Melissa Dumais
TITLE: Mooon
MATERIAL: acrylic on canvas
DIMENSIONS: 40.6 x 50.8 cm

Download page:
Hard Art 8: Mooon
Comments page:
Comment here please

Full size screen shot:

Based on:

Title:
Hard Art 9: Firebirds
Difficulty:
Expert Only
Creeper type:
Land only
Remarks:
Up for a real challenge? Good, because you'll need some stamina for this one.

Last map in the Hard Art series and about as tough as the first one. Strategical choices will be more important however and bad decisions will be punished severely. See the opening text and comments for some tips.

Description:
This is the last map in the Hard Art series. It's a complete remake of Nice Job 22: The Artist (which turned out a bit easier than I intended and could be finished within 10 minutes).

Changes include:
- Shifted the entire map 1 block to the left to make it perfectly symmetrical.
- Changed colors and added enhanced graphics (which will be the case for all of my future maps).
- Decreased the starting time of the delayed emitters; they now start after 9, 15 and 18 minutes of gameplay.
- Increased the intensity of all emitters slightly.
- Relocated all emitters one block to the left or right to make them less annoying. They now flood the adjacent higher elevations less during the first part of the game and are easier to cap (without your blasters getting damaged).
- Removed the two pre-built structures.
- Added three more upgrades and changed their location.

The main difference in gameplay is that you will need to cap most emitters to be able to finish the map. One blaster is still enough for each of them, but only when this blaster doesn't get distracted by nearby creeper. If you don't take this into account before the first increase at the 9 minute mark your entire network may collapse.

Don't focus on blasters too soon however; your primary defence should consist out of mortars that you may have to send on a bombing run to clear some terrain. Make sure you plan the layout of your network well, so you'll have some space left to add blasters later on. Your choice of weapons and their placement will be crucial!

When you find this map is too hard, you may want to play Nice Job 22: The Artist. The comments for that map also contain a lot of hints that can be applied to this one. You might need them, because this is going to be a rough ride. I sure hope you're up for a challenge!

No need to tell more about M.C. Escher I guess, as you've probably already read enough about him when playing some of my other maps. He's my favorite artist!

Well, I hope you enjoyed playing my hard art maps. Starting next week it's time for something completely new....

ARTIST: Maurits Cornelis Escher
TITLE: Two Birds
MATERIAL: Pencil on paper
YEAR: 1938
DIMENSIONS: 22.8 x 24.3 cm

Download page:
Hard Art 9: Firebirds
Comments page:
Comment here please
Full size screen shot:

Based on:

Also please have a look a my Quagmire Quest series; these maps are even better! 8)

UpperKEES

I've added a new map, Hard Art 2: Envy.

Click the link above to play, or see the 125th post of this topic for more details.

Please note that the high score tables for my maps won't be updated until August 13, when Roccologic returns from his holidays.

UpperKEES

I've added a new map, Hard Art 3: Color Planes.

Click the link above to play, or see the 125th post of this topic for more details.

Please note that the high score tables for my maps won't be updated until August 13, when Roccologic returns from his holidays.

UpperKEES

Quote from: ontheworld on July 30, 2010, 05:05:36 AM
how where you able to make sure that the 8/2 emitter will always stay capped after the 8 minutes?

See here.

UpperKEES

After a short break I've added a new map, Hard Art 4: Impossible.

The high score tables for my maps have been updated! Thanks to Roccologic! :)

UpperKEES

I've added a new map, Hard Art 5: X-Ray Visor.

UpperKEES

I have decided to publish my new map next week now the new update (version 0572) has been released and encourage everybody to play some of the 3.6 million Chronom maps! :)

SPIFFEN

I would like to see you post an map again soon ,
i dont play all of them , but i do miss you posting them =)
So plz dont wait to long before you post an new map .
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

UpperKEES

Thanks for missing them Spiff. :)

I have a new one ready (only have to set a score for it), but I've been rather busy playing the Chronom maps for the tournaments lately. Because many people participate I figured custom maps would be played a little less for the time being. I might upload it tonight though.

Edit: it's not gonna happen before Tuesday as I don't have time this weekend.