Custom Map #494: Emergency Landing. By: Sorrontis

Started by AutoPost, January 01, 2017, 12:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorrontis

Quote from: ColonelSandersLite on January 05, 2017, 08:36:56 PM
[...]
To solve the particle color thing in the future, you should mention it in the mission description at a minimum.  Alternatively, a dialog at the beginning of the mission.  Something like:
"Sensor Officer:  Sir, I advise we switch our readouts to show particle durability instead of speed. (Menu->Graphics->Particle Coloring->Health)"

That's a good idea. I'll steal it!
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

GoodMorning

It was given to you, and therefore cannot be stolen. In any case: "Borrowed (without permission), on a permanent basis."
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Sorrontis

Quote from: GoodMorning on January 05, 2017, 09:11:11 PM
It was given to you, and therefore cannot be stolen. In any case: "Borrowed (without permission), on a permanent basis."

Haha! Fair enough.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

D0m0nik

Sorry Sorrontis but also not a fan of the shark at all, it is literally a waste of space as it gets in the way and as a shark it should have a lot more bite! (Although I am a fan of it's aesthetics  ;))

Sorrontis

Quote from: D0m0nik on January 06, 2017, 01:28:16 PM
Sorry Sorrontis but also not a fan of the shark at all, it is literally a waste of space as it gets in the way and as a shark it should have a lot more bite! (Although I am a fan of it's aesthetics  ;))

Actually. It makes for a great dopple ship  ;)

GoodMorning

Finished, not hard but long, and with a bit of starting trickery.

Spoiler

I gave up on the big gun, and just rammed the ship from behind when it came.

Also, the lifetimes on those tough-particle Emitters again make them easier to take with particle beams than actual guns.
[close]

I wonder what the end would be like if you actually attacked the top, rather than the Progenitor, but I can't be bothered replaying to find out. (Why is it there, by the way?)

Sorrontis

Quote from: GoodMorning on March 03, 2017, 12:37:35 AM
Finished, not hard but long, and with a bit of starting trickery.

Spoiler

I gave up on the big gun, and just rammed the ship from behind when it came.

Also, the lifetimes on those tough-particle Emitters again make them easier to take with particle beams than actual guns.
[close]

I wonder what the end would be like if you actually attacked the top, rather than the Progenitor, but I can't be bothered replaying to find out. (Why is it there, by the way?)

The truth? It was too tough without the Prog.

GoodMorning

I just tested, and the final base fell just as easily as the forefront Emitters.

Spoiler

Omnis to the sides (only for the cannons), then let the Doppels and the big ship sit in the middle being useless. Charge up, and have enough particle beams to hold the storm off an amped CombatLathe as it takes out the Emitters first, and the other structures later. Lifetimes mean that the perticles don't build up to fatal levels. Finally, retake the middle (ramming is quite satisfying), clean up the plasma, grab the other ship plans, mire everything, (completionism) and then lathe the Progenitor.
[close]

So I'm now interested in what ye who play for time did if not doing that to the Emitters?

Lisimba

The start was great.
Spoiler
I figured out I could relocate after losing once. But if you wouldn't realize you can escape to the bottom right I imagine it would be very frustrating. Still, it's a hard mode map... I'm not sure a hint would or wouln't be warranted.
[close]

After that,
Spoiler
I never bothered retaking the center as it wasn't needed. I would have liked to, bit of a victorious comeback after being chased off, but it would actually complicate things having to spend the energy to hold it, and having new doppels pop up at the top while fighting there. Better to just let the enemy sit on it and stay out of my way. Perhaps it would have been better if the doppels were built mid or top left? You couldn't get at them there at the start anyway but you could then wipe them before the final assault.
[close]

In the end,
Spoiler
progenitors almost always seem like an anticlimax to me. There's a heavily defended enemy base, a load of emitters spewing particles, patrols, etcetera... and I just rush the side a couple of times with omnis and all of it falls. On one hand it feels like I've skipped part of the map, on the other hand it would feel like I'm being inefficient if I would ignore it and try it another way, and I don't like that either.
I find the best and most satisfying use of progenitors is to blow everything to hell once you finish the final assault and would otherwise get in a mop up phase.
[close]

But even with the criticism it's still a pretty good map, 7/10.