When 6 GB/s SATA just isn't enough

Started by Grauniad, August 06, 2013, 04:55:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grauniad

So you want a really, really fast PC? Then you will lament the slow-as-molasses 6 Gigabyte/second theoretical limit on accessing your hard drive. And 512 Gigabyte SSDs are just so... 2012?

Well rest easy. Kingspec has recognized your "need for speed" and have announced the monstrous 2 Terrabyte PCI-E Multicore SSD.  To get there, they bolt 8 of their 240 Gigabyte MLC NAND SSD drives together in a RAID 0 configuration, then give it a  LSI SAS2008 SAS controller (6Gbps SAS/SATA, 8x PCI-E interface).

"Why", you ask?

Well, first feast your eyes on this object of desire...

For really large capacity coupled with high speed transfer rates, good old SATA interface doesn't quite cut the mustard anymore.

Provided you have large files - like maybe a CW3 video - then here is a performance chart:

Price? you ask. Well, as someone once said, if you have to ask, you probably can't afford it. But it's available on eBay for a mere $2,950,77

Techradar also has a nice review.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

CobraKill

How 'bout the Fusion.io ioDrive Octal?

1.3 million IOPS and 6.7Gbs read and write for the 10.24 Tb version. If you want one, it'll cost you around $100,000. :P

I beleive MadMag has an OCZ RevoDrive 3 X2 which has similar specs
Never trust a computer that doesn't fit through your nearest window.

Blaze

I have no idea what is going on here.
I just know that I have a 6 GB/s SATA cable for my hard drive and nothing goes over 5 MB/s no matter what it is.
It averages at 2 MB/s mostly. :'(

This is talking about moving files around that is, I honestly don't know what the SATA cable really does.
In fact, what does it do, and how can I speed up file movement in my computer?

I have a lot of music that I need to put into my music folder from my download folder that isn't my download folder, and it's going to take forever... :-\

CobraKill

That's you HDD's fault. The SATA cable carries 6 Gigabytes per second to the CPU and memory. It's how the Hard Drive and the rest of the computer interact. So when playing games and such, your HDD puts as much data as it can read across the cable. The fact that it's so slow is because of your HDD being slow, it has to read all the data, then write it back on to the HDD, and if your moving it, delete all the original data after it's copied. My only advice is to defragment and make sure your HDD is working right. If it's an SSD, enable TRIM and clean it out.

Blaze

Quote from: CobraKill on August 07, 2013, 01:10:00 AM
That's you HDD's fault. The SATA cable carries 6 Gigabytes per second to the CPU and memory. It's how the Hard Drive and the rest of the computer interact. So when playing games and such, your HDD puts as much data as it can read across the cable. The fact that it's so slow is because of your HDD being slow, it has to read all the data, then write it back on to the HDD, and if your moving it, delete all the original data after it's copied. My only advice is to defragment and make sure your HDD is working right. If it's an SSD, enable TRIM and clean it out.

It's a stock 1TB HDD, and defragments once a week.
I guess I'll just deal with the long wait time of moving that music, going to do it after I find a lighter weight music player program.
I have so much music that when I rapidly scroll through my all music playlist I'll freeze it up for a few seconds to a minute...
That way I'll have to rebuild all of my playlists anyhow, which moving that music will break most of them as it is. ::)

I know it's off topic, but if anybody has a suggestion of something better than Windows Media player for music let me know.
Probably through PM to keep this thread clean. ;)

MizInIA

Quote from: Blaze on August 07, 2013, 08:19:11 AM

I know it's off topic, but if anybody has a suggestion of something better than Windows Media player for music let me know.
Probably through PM to keep this thread clean. ;)

umm... pretty much anything.  :)

thepenguin

Quote from: CobraKill on August 07, 2013, 01:10:00 AMIt has to read all the data, then write it back on to the HDD, and if your moving it, delete all the original data after it's copied.
If data is being moved, then all it requires is a slight change to the file access tables, not the gymnastics you mention (unless you are copying between drives, in which case you are correct).  It's copying a file that will take forever, not moving it.  I have moved files of ~30GB in a matter of seconds.
We have become the creeper...

CobraKill

Quote from: thepenguin on August 08, 2013, 10:02:36 PM
Quote from: CobraKill on August 07, 2013, 01:10:00 AMIt has to read all the data, then write it back on to the HDD, and if your moving it, delete all the original data after it's copied.
If data is being moved, then all it requires is a slight change to the file access tables, not the gymnastics you mention (unless you are copying between drives, in which case you are correct).  It's copying a file that will take forever, not moving it.  I have moved files of ~30GB in a matter of seconds.

Well, oops. I was being stupid I guess.

I found stuff that trumps all of this.

How about using software to setup a RAM Drive (Or just purchasing a PCI-E Ram drive, if you want to spend 5000+)

Performance is pretty massive too:

Using even better RAM would make this even faster

thepenguin

Quote from: CobraKill on August 09, 2013, 12:18:20 AM
Well, oops. I was being stupid I guess.
I found stuff that trumps all of this.
How about using software to setup a RAM Drive (Or just purchasing a PCI-E Ram drive, if you want to spend 5000+)
Performance is pretty massive too:{Image}
Using even better RAM would make this even faster

What Software did you use to set that up?
We have become the creeper...

CobraKill

Its not mine because I only have 4Gb of RAM. It comes from a program called SoftPerfect RAM Disk 3.3.1. I read it on a reveiw of 12 RAM disk softwares.

Review: http://www.raymond.cc/blog/download/?did=93