Custom Map: Hard Art 6: The Screams

Started by AutoPost, October 07, 2010, 03:53:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: Hard Art 6: The Screams

Author: UpperKEES

Desc:
You will probably need every type of unit to stop these screams; a mirrored version of the famous painting The Scream by Edvard Munch.

Although you'll find some details about the emitters in the opening text don't expect to beat this map on your first try.

UpperKEES

Title:
Hard Art 6: The Screams
Difficulty:
Hard
Creeper type:
Land only
Remarks:
You will probably need every type of unit to stop these screams; a mirrored version of the famous painting The Scream by Edvard Munch.

Although you'll find some details about the emitters in the opening text don't expect to beat this map on your first try.

Description:
This map is based on a mirrored version of the famous painting The Scream by Edvard Munch. He probably created this work after observing a blood red sky due to the 1883 eruption of the Krakatoa volcano when overlooking the Oslo-fjord.

The emitters are located underneath each totem and will increase in frequency at 3, 6, 9 and 12 minutes of playing time (their intensity of 5 will stay the same).

The emitters near the water will start after 30 seconds and the two bottom ones after 1 minute.

After 6 minutes the person on the left will scream very loud and both people will keep responding to each others screams every minute.

TITLE: The Scream
ARTIST: Edvard Munch
MATERIAL: Oil, tempera & pastel on cardboard
YEAR: 1893
DIMENSIONS: 91 x 73.5 cm

Download page:
Hard Art 6: The Screams
Full size screen shot:

Based on:

More art:
See here for more maps about art (and jobs) ;)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

UpperKEES

Oops, now I read back my own text I should clarify something: there are NO emitters underneath the two totems at the bottom. With "the two bottom ones that start after 1 minute" I meant the emitters on the hills next to the arms of the screaming men....

By the way: credits to our Norwegian Spiffen for suggesting this painting!

Edit: typo.

L'ythelle

Just in time for Halloween. Maybe that isn't as big a holiday there as it is in the US.

UpperKEES

Quote from: L'ythelle on October 07, 2010, 02:29:41 PM
Just in time for Halloween.

Yeah, these guys look a bit scary, but I'm sure they're terrified themselves.

Munch wrote in his diary (January 22, 1892): "I was walking along a path with two friends — the sun was setting — suddenly the sky turned blood red — I paused, feeling exhausted, and leaned on the fence — there was blood and tongues of fire above the blue-black fjord and the city — my friends walked on, and I stood there trembling with anxiety — and I sensed an infinite scream passing through nature."

One theory advanced to account for the reddish sky in the background is that Munch had observed an effect of the powerful volcanic eruption of Krakatoa in 1883: the ash that was ejected from the volcano left the sky tinted red in much of eastern United States and most of Europe and Asia from the end of November 1883 to mid February 1884. This explanation has been disputed by scholars who note that Munch was an expressive, rather than descriptive painter, and was therefore not primarily responsive to literal rendering. Alternatively, it has been suggested that the proximity to the site of the painting of both a slaughterhouse and a madhouse may have offered inspiration (source).

Quote from: L'ythelle on October 07, 2010, 02:29:41 PM
Maybe that isn't as big a holiday there as it is in the US.

Nope, we indeed don't 'celebrate' that here, but I'm familiar with the scary movie (obviously also based on this painting).

RichieRich

Thanks UpperKEES, a pretty straightforward one in that, not too hard to get a solid defence up.

Nice and hard to get upto the top corners. Will do it again, hopefully more efficiently...

Fisherck

Finally!! Another map! I was already thinking of not doing the chronum tournament (because of stupid homework ::)), but this settles it. I have to try to give you a run for your money ;D. And anyways chronum maps just do not compare to custom ones.
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

UpperKEES

Quote from: RichieRich on October 07, 2010, 08:47:48 PM
Thanks UpperKEES, a pretty straightforward one in that, not too hard to get a solid defence up.

Nice and hard to get upto the top corners. Will do it again, hopefully more efficiently...

Thank you as well for picking this map up that quickly. :) It's indeed not that hard (my last few were maybe a bit too rough), but you still need to think about your defence. And yeah, the top is the tricky part....

Quote from: Fisherck on October 07, 2010, 09:29:42 PM
Finally!! Another map! I was already thinking of not doing the chronum tournament (because of stupid homework ::)), but this settles it. I have to try to give you a run for your money ;D. And anyways chronum maps just do not compare to custom ones.

Oh no! I don't want to keep you out of the Chronom tournament with this map! Better postpone playing this one or do the tournament maps during the weekend when your homework is done. I hope it will rain that much that you won't be able to run.... ;) The Chronom maps indeed are a lot easier, but the competitive element of a tournament makes up for that.

snowmaker (JM)

Well, that was fun  ;D Holding off the screamers was easy. The difficult part for me was the top assault. I think I needed more energy production and a couple of more drones... oh well, maybe I will try again.

Thanks Kees for a fun map  :D

UpperKEES

Quote from: snowmaker (JM) on October 08, 2010, 07:19:26 PM
Well, that was fun  ;D Holding off the screamers was easy. The difficult part for me was the top assault. I think I needed more energy production and a couple of more drones... oh well, maybe I will try again.

Yeah, the screamers were a bit harder during testing, but I didn't want to make a map that would be too frustrating, so I adjusted them.

Spoiler
Drones indeed help a lot for the final totems (and so do battery powered blasters).
[close]

Quote from: snowmaker (JM) on October 08, 2010, 07:19:26 PM
Thanks Kees for a fun map  :D

Merci! :)

snowmaker (JM)

Yeah, the screamers were a bit harder during testing, but I didn't want to make a map that would be too frustrating, so I adjusted them. Drones indeed help a lot for the final totems (and so do battery powered blasters).

[/quote]

I didn't have enough batteries the first time and I got impatient  ;)

UpperKEES

Quote from: snowmaker (JM) on October 08, 2010, 10:15:36 PM
I didn't have enough batteries the first time and I got impatient  ;)

Heheh! A lack of power can indeed be frustrating once you already started fighting, because it's pretty hard to add more reactors when you need all energy to maintain your position. And regarding patience.... that's probably the only thing more important than energy when playing CW! ;D

Fisherck

Round one done, but I think I can get a better score. I am going for round two now. ;)

EDIT: There we go, from a 10:30 to a 9:30. Maybe I will keep the top score for a little while. ;D
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

NNR_Alex

Ah yeah, we studied this painting in my art history class, sadly I don't think it was on the actual exam, but we did talk about it, and the lines from his journal were mentioned in class as well.  Something else that we mentioned this painting could be about would be a sense of isolation, the man that's screaming and his friends that don't respond to his distress. (of course now that it's mirrored it's not so much isolation anymore, makes me wonder why they are screaming at each other) "I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!"

UpperKEES

Quote from: Fisherck on October 09, 2010, 10:19:18 PM
Round one done, but I think I can get a better score. I am going for round two now. ;)

EDIT: There we go, from a 10:30 to a 9:30. Maybe I will keep the top score for a little while. ;D

Great time Fish! 8) That could indeed last for a while....

Quote from: NNR_Alex on October 10, 2010, 04:24:25 PM
(of course now that it's mirrored it's not so much isolation anymore, makes me wonder why they are screaming at each other) "I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!"

Yeah, it seemed the best way to make it fit as rotating was no option. No idea what they are yelling about either; it could be the nasty sky.... ;)