Custom Map #149: Column. By: Sorrontis

Started by AutoPost, October 12, 2016, 07:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #149: Column

Author: Sorrontis
Size: 32x500

Desc:
Well, this is a tight squeeze. Good luck, it's a tough one.

chwooly

I am sure there is some stupid little trick to this map but honestly the micromanagement that seems to required is making this map the worst map I have played to date. I can't count how many times I have had to rebuild ships. It is just not a fun map for me

Thanks for making it but honestly not having any room to maneuver just makes it an exercise in rage quitting
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

Sorrontis

Quote from: chwooly on October 12, 2016, 08:40:03 PM
"...an exercise in rage quitting"

Fair point.

So, micromanagement is a no-no for you chwooly. :D Thanks for playing.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

chwooly

Quote from: Sorrontis on October 12, 2016, 09:10:40 PM
Quote from: chwooly on October 12, 2016, 08:40:03 PM
"...an exercise in rage quitting"

Fair point.

So, micromanagement is a no-no for you chwooly. :D Thanks for playing.

So far this and map 47 are the only 2 maps I have not beaten, I have enjoyed every other one you have made and I appreciate the time you invested in making them.

27 downloads, 1 score.

Cheers.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

D0m0nik

Quotestupid little trick

Quote27 downloads, 1 score.

Cheers.

Chwooly, not sure if you mean to but your posts sometimes come across a little aggressive and possibly even rude.

I do agree this is a very difficult map though and it certainly won't be for everyone. In fact it will be for a very small number of people but there does need to be maps of every level of player and as long as someone can beat it then it is a positive contribution to the game.

I personally cannot beat this map at this sitting but I will not doubt be back for another shot!

Sorrontis

The stupid little trick:

Spoiler

Don't start at the bottom. There's somewhere more important to start.
Spoiler
That cannon is quite destructive, don't you think. It would be a shame if the Particulate lost control of it.
[close]
[close]
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Doug

Fun map! Took a couple of tries to get started but now I'm just stuck at the end. All six ships lined up attacking the particle flood within inches but I cant seem to knock enough of it back to get a shot at the emitter:/

Sorrontis

Quote from: Doug on October 13, 2016, 05:07:54 PM
Fun map! Took a couple of tries to get started but now I'm just stuck at the end. All six ships lined up attacking the particle flood within inches but I cant seem to knock enough of it back to get a shot at the emitter:/

Spoiler
If you're there. Pause. Remove some Amp gems from tech, and place them on the ships that will use them best.
[close]

Sorrontis

10 Ratings (Average 2.9 :o), 3 Completed Plays.  ??? Either people don't like this map, or people really don't like this map.  :-\

svartmes

I'm surprised I'm currently at first place on the highscore with only 3 people on it, I honestly did not have that much trouble with this map. It looked ridiculously hard at first but was a pretty straightforward march. I guess most people give up early as seeing all those particles can be pretty daunting.
Spoiler
The cannon to me was a no-brainer, always look for the best starting position.
[close]

Imho this map kind of highlights one of the shortcomings of this game though. Even though I now have about 80 hours playtime in this game and judging by the scoreboards am one of the better players out there, there's still so much about this game I don't really understand. For example the emitters can seem random at times. I don't know how powerful they are and when or why this value changes. I hope Virgil will add mouse-over info text, like with the emitters in cw3, in upcoming patch.
Sure I could probably read up about the specific mechanics in the wiki or here on the forums but I don't feel that one should have to (and I never did in the cw games), imo everything you need to know should be in the game.

chwooly

Quote from: D0m0nik on October 13, 2016, 02:46:03 PM
Quotestupid little trick

Cheers.

Chwooly, not sure if you mean to but your posts sometimes come across a little aggressive and possibly even rude.

I do agree this is a very difficult map though and it certainly won't be for everyone. In fact it will be for a very small number of people but there does need to be maps of every level of player and as long as someone can beat it then it is a positive contribution to the game.

I personally cannot beat this map at this sitting but I will not doubt be back for another shot!

Unfortunately I have never mastered the art of communication with others, It is not my intention to be rude or aggressive. I just type it the same way I would say it.

I am not sure what I can do to change that perception at this point.

Cheers
― Robert A. Heinlein

Sorrontis

Quote from: chwooly on October 14, 2016, 07:56:01 PM
Quotestupid little trick

Cheers.

Unfortunately I have never mastered the art of communication with others, It is not my intention to be rude or aggressive. I just type it the same way I would say it.

Cheers

No worries mate. I could care less if you were a little aggressive, as long you weren't insulting. :D

Doug

Quote from: Sorrontis on October 13, 2016, 06:58:21 PM
10 Ratings (Average 2.9 :o), 3 Completed Plays.  ??? Either people don't like this map, or people really don't like this map.  :-\

Some of my favorite maps in good ol CW3 were the ones I tried to beat dozens and dozens of times. There is quite a bit of satisfaction in figuring out that one trick to beat a map. Equally impressive if you manage to stump so many people!

chwooly

Quote from: Sorrontis on October 14, 2016, 08:47:59 PM
Quotestupid little trick

Cheers.

Cheers

No worries mate. I could care less if you were a little aggressive, as long you weren't insulting. :D

Thanks, And just for the record, By stupid little trick I meant some thing that was obvious and I was not smart enough to figure out. But I do see how that comes across rude online.  :o :o
― Robert A. Heinlein

Sorrontis

Spoiler
Quote from: chwooly on October 14, 2016, 09:07:58 PM
Quote from: Sorrontis on October 14, 2016, 08:47:59 PM
Quotestupid little trick

Cheers.

Cheers

Thanks, And just for the record, By stupid little trick I meant some thing that was obvious and I was not smart enough to figure out. But I do see how that comes across rude online.  :o :o
[close]

Yep, that's how I took it.  ::) ??? :P