Terrain Subcells

Started by Sqaz, November 06, 2011, 06:18:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.H

Isn't there a packet limit(ignoring crystals on this one) because the packets cause major lag? Complicating that by nine times either means an insane limitation in packet limit or extreme lagg. SO perhaps the packets should just travel through the centre of it, if the terrain block has 3 subcells or more that allow the packet to cross from one side to the other then it will just use the same pathing as before, but travel through the centre of the block(even if there is terrain), this will break immersion but at least we don't have lagg. But overall I don't think this idea will be implemented, or work smoothly.
Good evening/morning/night/afternoon
You are now reading my signature...
Stop reading IT!

Cavemaniac

Quote from: Mr.H on December 28, 2011, 07:59:51 PM
Isn't there a packet limit(ignoring crystals on this one) because the packets cause major lag? Complicating that by nine times either means an insane limitation in packet limit or extreme lagg. SO perhaps the packets should just travel through the centre of it, if the terrain block has 3 subcells or more that allow the packet to cross from one side to the other then it will just use the same pathing as before, but travel through the centre of the block(even if there is terrain), this will break immersion but at least we don't have lagg. But overall I don't think this idea will be implemented, or work smoothly.

Hmm.

Don't packets already work on a 3x3 subcell system?

I'm sure I've seen packets hit creeper, be destroyed, then the new batch get rerouted by just a tad to avoid the creeper as it's height (level) increases.

That and I've seen packets 'squeezing' along the roof of a cavern almost completely flooded with creeper.

Or I could just be imagining it - I'm currently suffering from sleep deprivation. Anybody want an affectionate but noisy cat?
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Kithros

Quote from: Cavemaniac on December 29, 2011, 02:01:48 PM
Quote from: Mr.H on December 28, 2011, 07:59:51 PM

Hmm.

Don't packets already work on a 3x3 subcell system?

I'm sure I've seen packets hit creeper, be destroyed, then the new batch get rerouted by just a tad to avoid the creeper as it's height (level) increases.

That and I've seen packets 'squeezing' along the roof of a cavern almost completely flooded with creeper.

Or I could just be imagining it - I'm currently suffering from sleep deprivation. Anybody want an affectionate but noisy cat?

Packets will only move through the centre of every cell - for instance, if you had a cell with a single subcell in the middle of it, packets will not be able to move through it.  Terrain on a subcell level (if it were possible hypothetically) would probably result in the same thing - but in most maps the effect creeper has on it will be negligible unless there are awkward pin fields involved, whereas terrain could get very confusing in some situations.

CobraKill

While there would be complications, I think this is the best thing that could happen (from my standpoint) to Creeper World 2
Never trust a computer that doesn't fit through your nearest window.

Kithros

Quote from: CobraKill on December 29, 2011, 03:28:51 PM
While there would be complications, I think this is the best thing that could happen (from my standpoint) to Creeper World 2

The most important issue - what if terrain simply does not store the data to be specific to certain subcells? There isn't really any way around that without recoding everything to do with terrain, nevermind all kinds of issues that could confuse new players with weird pathing issues and firing through walls and stuff like that (admittedly that could potentially be just left as is, but would be very sloppy).