Custom Map: Hard Art 2: Envy

Started by AutoPost, July 25, 2010, 11:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: Hard Art 2: Envy

Author: UpperKEES

Desc:
Based on a painting by Miss Melissa.

The more envy (green), the creepier it gets. Make sure the survivors won't become a victim of envy.

UpperKEES

Title:
Hard Art 2: Envy
Difficulty:
Hard
Creeper type:
Land only
Remarks:
Based on a painting by Miss Melissa.

The more envy (green), the creepier it gets. Make sure the survivors won't become a victim of envy.

Description:
This map is based on a painting by Miss Melissa, probably the best known artist in the Creeper World. Not (yet) because of her works, but just because she's a very good and regular player as well.

Her paintings (for sale!) are very suitable to be translated into a CW map, so I've decided to use another of her works for a future one.

ARTIST: Melissa Dumais
TITLE: Envy
MATERIAL: acrylic on canvas
YEAR: 2009
DIMENSIONS: 50.8 x 40.6 cm

Download page:
Hard Art 2: Envy
Full size screen shot:

Based on:

More art:
See here for more maps about art (and jobs) ;)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Miss Melissa

hehe, looks better than my painting. im gonna go try it out now. thanks  :)

Miss Melissa

Great map! def had to restart a few times, but im gonna try that again. im sure i can cut a few mins off.

fraterpotens

Very fun.  I seem to be a little slow though.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Miss Melissa on July 25, 2010, 11:59:44 PM
hehe, looks better than my painting. im gonna go try it out now. thanks  :)

Thanks, I'm glad you're happy with it, but I don't agree. I really missed gold in my color spectrum.... ;) I hope you don't mind I used grey instead of white for the lower horizontal and vertical bars, because I wanted to keep the map playable as well (otherwise it would have been hard to distinguish level 2 and level 3). I almost always have to improvise a little, but I tried to keep the painting as original as possible. The same goes for the dimensions: I had to stretch the picture a bit and compensate the circles afterwards to keep them round.

Quote from: Miss Melissa on July 26, 2010, 02:21:10 AM
Great map! def had to restart a few times, but im gonna try that again. im sure i can cut a few mins off.

Spoiler
I needed some restarts (at least 4) myself to obtain this time. During testing my time was something like 18:50. I'm still not sure whether it's better to use flying mortars or drones to keep the pods alive.
[close]

Quote from: fraterpotens on July 26, 2010, 02:34:30 AM
Very fun.  I seem to be a little slow though.

Thanks! Your speed and completion times will improve a lot when you play more hard maps. When I started this game my times were awful (> 45 minutes for rather easy conquest maps) and I wouldn't have been able to complete the maps I make myself now. With some experience you'll find out what priorities to set. In the comments of my other maps (especially the Nice Job series) you'll find quite some useful tips that can be applied to many other maps as well.

snowmaker (JM)

Fun map! I do like the idea of increasing the creeper frequency as the game continues. I think next time I will go through the middle instead of the top  ;D

UpperKEES

Quote from: snowmaker (JM) on July 26, 2010, 12:56:16 PM
Fun map!

Thanks! :)

I do like the idea of increasing the creeper frequency as the game continues.

Yeah, I've used that for about 6 of my maps, but I actually forgot that I did it for this one as well (I finished it a while ago)! :D

Spoiler
The frequency increases happen at 4, 8 and 12 minutes (and the intensity also increases slightly this time).
[close]

I think next time I will go through the middle instead of the top  ;D

Heheh! :D

Spoiler
I did it the other way around; first I went through the middle, but the last attempt I went over the top.
[close]

snowmaker (JM)

I think next time I will go through the middle instead of the top  ;D

Heheh! I did it the other way around; first I went through the middle, but the last attempt I went over the top.
[/quote]

I noticed that I could safely hold the center emitter with three blasters. Then use a mortar or two to keep the corner emitters at bay.

BTW, I didn't even bother trying to cap the bottom right emitter, that may have been a mistake  :-\

UpperKEES

Quote from: snowmaker (JM) on July 26, 2010, 02:29:19 PM
I noticed that I could safely hold the center emitter with three blasters. Then use a mortar or two to keep the corner emitters at bay.

Spoiler
True, the center needs 3, the others just 2.
[close]

Quote from: snowmaker (JM) on July 26, 2010, 02:29:19 PM
BTW, I didn't even bother trying to cap the bottom right emitter, that may have been a mistake  :-\

Spoiler
Hmmm, that's the first one I cap, but I didn't cap the center one last time.
[close]

NNR_Alex

lasted a little over 10 minutes with 3 drones playing defense one mortar keeping the base safe, and two blasters to work on advancing.  The sad part, one of the drones had just finished refilling and was almost to the pod that got destroyed.

UpperKEES

I assume you had a deficit causing your drones to refuel slowly?

Spoiler
I use only 2 drones (simultaneously) and the pods never got in danger. When you target number 1 in a deep part between the left and the top pod and number 2 in a deep part between the left and the bottom pod you should be fine, but you can't wait too long after refuelling them. The right pod will be save because of you mortar. I would add a second mortar later on to be able to expand your terrain, which will be more effective than the blasters.
[close]

Spoiler

But before you advance first build up as much energy as the available space allows. Use the blasters mainly to cap the emitters and in tight area's. Having some storage might help you to supply enough fuel for the drones (if you're able to keep it filled up).
[close]

I hope this helps; let me know if you get stuck again.

F0R

UpperKEES you gotta use the painting that is showed you that my friend did +)

RichieRich

Thanks UpperKEES & of course Miss Melissa

That was a fun map and nice for a change to be able to get going so quickly in your maps. I expected it to be harder.

Having said that though, I'd say I failed half a dozen times before I got a time in. TBH it probably saved me posting a really slow time - I kept losing the survivors on the left by not paying attention.

Interesting in the scope for different ways of doing it - evident in the comments above.

I actually didnt use any blasters (and only 3 mortars and 3 drones) until I launched into the middle after making six. I actually only capped the middle and top right in my second time.

Happy with my time - which I think I could shave a minute or so off but that is about it.

Liking this series UpperKEES. Thanks for the time and effort.

Miss Melissa

Quote from: UpperKEES on July 26, 2010, 10:24:44 AM
Thanks, I'm glad you're happy with it, but I don't agree. I really missed gold in my color spectrum.... ;) I hope you don't mind I used grey instead of white for the lower horizontal and vertical bars, because I wanted to keep the map playable as well (otherwise it would have been hard to distinguish level 2 and level 3). I almost always have to improvise a little, but I tried to keep the painting as original as possible. The same goes for the dimensions: I had to stretch the picture a bit and compensate the circles afterwards to keep them round.

i dont mind at all, it looks great!
thanks for putting so much time and effort into making my art fun and come alive.  :)
ive gotten some PM's about my art and would like to add some of my other paintings here (if thats ok with u).. just as soon as i have time and someone can let me know how i can post pics here without them being online already.  :P