Custom Map #989: Challenges: Ring of Death

Started by AutoPost, March 27, 2012, 03:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kithros

Quote from: J on June 29, 2012, 02:53:54 AM
Does that mean another downvote? Will get me to 80 then :D
Try to build as many reactors as fast as possible, nullify the emitters quickly and build some launchers in meantime. You shouldn't use blasters to kill that ball if you have some energy left, build another launcher instead. Turn double speed on and you should have enough time to kill it.
Quote from: Kithros on June 21, 2012, 02:28:29 AM
The 7 minute time is 100% definitely hacked, considering there's creeper on the left side of the map that's unreachable and won't die until 9:56. The other times should be possible if you build up reactors quickly and such, but don't take the 7 minute time seriously.
The creeper at the left is killed when you kill the emitters, and you can do that before 9:56 (haven't tested if it is possible to kill them that fast)

Well, for me it definitely didn't die when the emitters died - I killed the emitters well before that (I didn't actually play through killing all the creeper in the dense ball though).

Helper

This one is beating my brains out (what little there are).

I can get all of the Emitters before the 10 minute mark, dig tunnels and build Reactors/Tech Domes and all the Blasters in the world, but still can't beat the "20 minute" surprise.

This is a fun game and I voted it 'up', but would sure like to know the trick to finishing off (or preventing) that mass at 20 minutes.

ea3401

Helper

Sorry - dumb typing mistake on my part.
I meant to type "Launchers". I think I ended up with about 30 of them beating on that giant ball of blue goo.

teknotiss

well it's been a while but i think i went for repulsors and shields in on two sides with as many launchers as i could fit into the "caves" i had carved out. LS on one side and a bunch of weapons on the other. it took a few goes to get right but i was looking to kill the lower emitter and start the base building fast, while killing the other 3 perimeter emitters.
i had a 1 square entrance for the weapons and a 2 square entrance for the ls. covered by a few blasters and repulsors backed up by launchers you can ride out the creeper explosion. not the fastest method, i know, but it worked.
good luck and hope it helps  8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Helper

Hmmm...
Do you leave the 4 main Emitters intact?
I saw a reference up above about some "AC" being created if certain conditions are met, but I've been taking out all 8 Emitters - so that doesn't happen.

Thank you both for posting. I know it's an oldie, but I've been working my way back through them while I'm waiting for new maps to get published.

Helper

J

When you take out one of the strongest emitters (not those on the corners) an AC emitter will start teleporting its AC to the center, and a little burst of AC will also come in then.

Helper

J - thank you for posting.

Are you saying to take out just one of the strong Emitters?
I've been getting all 8 of them (4 strong, 4 weak) before the 10 minute mark, but still unable to overcome the 20 minute surge.

My fleet of Launchers will substantially reduce the mass of Creeper, but it eventually overwhelms me. I've been playing from a saved game, but might restart from scratch and build more secure tunnels for protection.

J

Try to build reactors as soon as you get some dry land (best is to move to the bottom left or right I think). Keep building your reactors as fast as possible and when you have energy left slowly start building launchers while building more reactors. After building some reactors this should be your priorities:
1. taking out all emitters
2. building reactors
3. supplying launchers
4. building launchers

Helper

I'll give that a try.
I've been burying the LS in a tunnel and trying to protect my Reactors & Techs.
Maybe just need to be more aggressive and go into full assault mode.

More later - thanks.

ea3401

Quote from: Helper on July 13, 2012, 08:33:47 AM
I'll give that a try.
I've been burying the LS in a tunnel and trying to protect my Reactors & Techs.
Maybe just need to be more aggressive and go into full assault mode.

More later - thanks.

It's important, not to waste any valuable terrain here. Should look like this after 10 minutes:

Helper

Aha!
I was doing all tunnels to prevent the Creeper from accessing the Reactors/Techs.
Very excellent and will give that a try.