Creeper World 3 keeps crashing

Started by TheBobCat, October 06, 2013, 12:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBobCat

I just bought creeper world 3, downloaded it and installed it. However when i try and play it, it comes up with a 'oops' message saying the game has crashed.

Can i get help with this problem.

Grauniad

For us to help you, you have to give us some information. Our crystal ball is notoriously inaccurate. :)

What helps is if you tell us what machine you have (Windows/Mac), what OS, whether it's 64- or 32-bit, what version of the game you downloaded, what specific error message you get and any associated crash or dump files that you have available.

You can open your Windows file explorer and type %appdata%\CreeperWorld3\ in the address bar. Look in that folder for a log file and any other files mentioning "crash" or "dump" (.dmp).

If you can also tell us what steps you took to install, what directory and whether you have rebooted, which anti-virus and firewall products you have, whether you checked your graphics drivers for currency, etc. that is also helpful.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

TheBobCat

I am using windows - 64 bit, I just bought CW3 about 30 mins ago so the latest version.

The game is located here C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 3, i have tried rebooting and i cannot attach the Crash.dmp beacuse the format is not supported. :(

Hopefully this is enought to solve the problem.

Michionlion

Quote from: TheBobCat on October 06, 2013, 01:31:39 PM
I am using windows - 64 bit, I just bought CW3 about 30 mins ago so the latest version.

The game is located here C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 3, i have tried rebooting and i cannot attach the Crash.dmp beacuse the format is not supported. :(

Hopefully this is enought to solve the problem.
Right-click on the crash.dmp file and select 'send to .zip', then attach that zip.  You should also be able to attach the log, as that is in .txt format.  Not much we can do if we don't have information besides tell you to reboot and check for updated drivers.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

knucracker

I would make sure your graphics drivers are up to date, and try both the 32 and 64 bit versions.  These crashes are almost always related to GPU driver problems....

TheBobCat

Here is the crash.dmp, hopefully you will be able to see it.

Michionlion

Okay, using the windbg tool to open the file, I get this:

Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.12.0002.633 X86
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [C:\Users\Saejin\Desktop\crash.dmp]
User Mini Dump File: Only registers, stack and portions of memory are available

Symbol search path is: *** Invalid ***
* Symbol loading may be unreliable without a symbol search path.           *
* Use .symfix to have the debugger choose a symbol path.                   *
* After setting your symbol path, use .reload to refresh symbol locations. *
Executable search path is:
Windows 7 Version 7601 (Service Pack 1) MP (4 procs) Free x86 compatible
Product: WinNt, suite: SingleUserTS Personal
Machine Name:
Debug session time: Sun Oct  6 13:46:42.000 2013 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: not available
Process Uptime: not available
This dump file has an exception of interest stored in it.
The stored exception information can be accessed via .ecxr.
(1d30.1d34): Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)
eax=00000000 ebx=07720aa8 ecx=00000000 edx=00eeb898 esi=07720a68 edi=0036a524
eip=777a0c42 esp=0036a1e4 ebp=0036a1f4 iopl=0         nv up ei pl zr na pe nc
cs=0023  ss=002b  ds=002b  es=002b  fs=0053  gs=002b             efl=00200246
*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found.  Defaulted to export symbols for ntdll.dll -
ntdll!NtGetContextThread+0x12:
777a0c42 83c404          add     esp,4
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Grauniad

THis seems to be the same problem as another has had with a rights issue on the path to the installed file.

Try installing it in a different location where you are sure you can create and write to a file.

TheBobCat

I just tried installing it to a bunch of diffrent places and restarting but i still get the error message.

Also, what do you mean when you say 'you can create and write to a file.'

Michionlion

Quote from: TheBobCat on October 06, 2013, 03:18:34 PM
I just tried installing it to a bunch of diffrent places and restarting but i still get the error message.

Also, what do you mean when you say 'you can create and write to a file.'

You can put something into the file and then save it.  For instance, creating a .txt file and then writing 'something' in it, and then saving.
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

knucracker

"Access violation - code c0000005 NtGetContextThread+0x12"
That's basically a very generic crash.  If I look around at other support threads, it gets blamed on everything...  sound drivers, GPU quality settings, bad RAM, Windows UAC settings, not running in compatibility mode, running in compatibility mode, the particular GPU and GPU driver, etc.

I would definitely try both the 32 and 64 bit versions of the game to see if you get lucky with one.  There was an alternate download link in the email you received.  That has a 64bit build available.  You could also try bringing up the windows Event Viewer and watch it when you start the game.  That might shed some light on any misbehaving drivers.

TheBobCat

I've tried both versions of the game (32 & 64 bit) and it is still crashing, i also updated my drivers but i'me still getting the crash. is there anything else i can try?

Grauniad

Did Windows Event Viewer shed any light on new error events during an attempted  startup of the game?

I know this is getting to be a lot of shots in the dark, but could you please install Piriform's Speccy - the Free version is sufficient - and post the specifications it lists for your system?

Best way is File -> Save Text File and the attache the resulting .txt file as an attachment to a reply on this thread.

TheBobCat

Here is the speccy text, as for event viewer i couldn't understand any of it.

Grauniad

Quote from: TheBobCat on October 07, 2013, 10:37:47 AM
Here is the speccy text, as for event viewer i couldn't understand any of it.

Ok, the speccy thing doesn't highlight anything helpful... :(

as for event viewer, do you now understand the output? or do you not know how to figure out what errors to look at - Event viewer is kind of complex.

To start it, click on Windows Start (thankfully you still have Win 7!) and type Event Viewer.

When it starts up, choose Windows Logs

Check the Application, and Security and Systems trees.

Now try to run CW3.

Check the above three trees again and note any events that has a red exclamation mark or a yellow warning triangle. We need the event is and event description.

Here's a sample of one of these from my logs. I powered my router off earlier this morning. :)