Ramming and sacrifice

Started by GoodMorning, May 14, 2017, 05:56:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RrR

How much energy do shields take to run? And how does this compare with the cost saved by taking less damage?

GoodMorning

A shield is 15eps to run, half of the resupply rate of the ship. This cost is constant no matter how many shield modules are present. For comparison, a Reactor is 1.5eps.

The following can withstand standard particle storms more-or-less indefinitely, but collapses quickly when punctured or Stunned.

The short answer is that each active Shield effectively represents another identical "ghost" ship on the same location, sharing the damage (but powered by the 15eps drain on the "real" ship).

Rams have a completely different set of needs to to other ships: More engines, protected, and a large nose. It's worth noting that the rebuild time of a large nose can be significant, and that a wide nose is something is a disadvantage, as a ran should be aiming for a CM/MK7/fighter-base, and therefore nearby destruction is wasted effort.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

cooltv27

wait, more shields doesnt increase the drain rate?
uh oh here comes the creeper, QUICK GET SOME BLASTERS READY! wait, wait, wai, FIRE! IM ON FIRE! NO, NO, NO, GET AWA (the rest was taken by the creeper, taken back and eaten)
I has a youtube channel youtube.com/user/cooltv27

GoodMorning

Running one shield module has the same cost as running ten shield modules. So the cost per module drops off, as 15eps/(count) per module, giving 15eps/count * count = 15eps.

I don't recall what the energy store of a shield module amounts to, but shields have higher priority for power than do lasers.

As a side note, this means that a "block of lasers ship" (with enough to counter a particle stream) that is hit by a single cannon shot, activating the shield, can suddenly have insufficient power to run the lasers. The ship then takes more hits from particles, causing the shield to stay up, and can be (has been) destroyed quickly.

tornado

Since thus has such a High discussion rate, I'm going to go design a ship designed to ram the heck out of stuff.
Do give constructive criticism. I don't like it, but I can work with it.

If I remember correctly we want either very precise(one module, precise), or wide enough/storng enough to just walk through enemy lines.
I think I can work with both of those.
Now CEO of Particular Endeavors. http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=23752.new#new
We apologize for all inconveniences that we caused.
Quotefirst, you have to imagine a very big box, fitting inside a very samll box.
then, you have to build one

cooltv27

I recently built a ship with 18 reactors and [I dont actually know the number] shield modules
its capable of ignoring struct, emergent, and some of those really annoying turrets that sometimes exist
uh oh here comes the creeper, QUICK GET SOME BLASTERS READY! wait, wait, wai, FIRE! IM ON FIRE! NO, NO, NO, GET AWA (the rest was taken by the creeper, taken back and eaten)
I has a youtube channel youtube.com/user/cooltv27

D0m0nik

For me there is nothing attractove about a ship which is almost invincible, where is the challnege?

FOXX

It's all about balance.
If you have strong ships -> make the enemy stronger.
But at one point you can't get any Bigger/Stronger.
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!
Including  CUSTOM MODULE MAPS & SHIPS

GoodMorning

Anything can be broken, and the larger the ship, the costlier a mistake. Also, speed running requires that as much as possible be done before the behemoth builds. Preferably the entire map.

Keeper Decagon

Quote from: FOXX on May 22, 2017, 04:57:54 PM
It's all about balance.
If you have strong ships -> make the enemy stronger.

That's kinda my philosophy when it comes to map design. That's why, as ShadeofDead always says, the ships in my maps tend to "cheat", gaining way faster regen and energy recuperation to make them viable opponents whilst still giving stronger ships to the player. Steamrolling is thereby mitigated.

Just wanted to throw that out there. :P
"For me, there is no honour or glory. No praise to be had for what I do. I fulfill my purpose for the protection of all... neither of us are going to make it out of here alive." - ?? ??, 145th CE