Enemy Build Packets vs. Solid Terrain

Started by Laxyak, February 14, 2022, 05:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laxyak

Hi, I'm new to the forum, but I've been playing CW1&2 since forever. I recently downloaded CW2 for the umpteenth time and wanted to try custom maps. Unfortunately, I've run into an issue that seems to be common among custom maps: enemy build packets vs. solid terrain. I'm guessing this used to be a regular tactic that map makers used back in the day. I'm sure it worked out great, but it seems to be broken now. Perhaps the newest version of the game doesn't allow this to happen anymore.

(There's a terrain piece with a rock in it, which cannot be broken by the player. Then there's the blue "x" that means a gateway is going to break down that terrain piece. However, the terrain piece does not get broken, and the map is unwinnable.)

I'd really like to play these maps, but they appear to be broken now. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thank you for your time.

Builder17

Quote from: Laxyak on February 14, 2022, 05:07:47 AM
Hi, I'm new to the forum, but I've been playing CW1&2 since forever. I recently downloaded CW2 for the umpteenth time and wanted to try custom maps. Unfortunately, I've run into an issue that seems to be common among custom maps: enemy build packets vs. solid terrain. I'm guessing this used to be a regular tactic that map makers used back in the day. I'm sure it worked out great, but it seems to be broken now. Perhaps the newest version of the game doesn't allow this to happen anymore.

(There's a terrain piece with a rock in it, which cannot be broken by the player. Then there's the blue "x" that means a gateway is going to break down that terrain piece. However, the terrain piece does not get broken, and the map is unwinnable.)

I'd really like to play these maps, but they appear to be broken now. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thank you for your time.

From what I read here, I assume that the gateway capable of sending packets (not all gateways can send packets), has a path to the solid block with blue X in it.

But maybe there is some AC blocking it from reaching there? :) Has it happened on multiple maps or just a specific map?

Laxyak

Quote from: Builder17 on February 14, 2022, 12:41:35 PM
From what I read here, I assume that the gateway capable of sending packets (not all gateways can send packets), has a path to the solid block with blue X in it.

But maybe there is some AC blocking it from reaching there? :) Has it happened on multiple maps or just a specific map?

The path between the blue X and the gateway that makes packets is clear of all obstacles including anticreeper. I even opened the map in the editor to make sure. The problem is happening with at least two or three maps I tried. I can tell you which maps, if that will help.

Karsten75

Quote from: Laxyak on February 14, 2022, 03:32:09 PM

The path between the blue X and the gateway that makes packets is clear of all obstacles including anticreeper. I even opened the map in the editor to make sure. The problem is happening with at least two or three maps I tried. I can tell you which maps, if that will help.

It would be helpful (always) to include as much information as you have. In this case, the names (numbers)  of maps that you believe have this issue.

Also, I'm very curious as to which steps you followed to download, install, and open an existing map in the editor?

teknotiss

Quote from: Laxyak on February 14, 2022, 03:32:09 PM

as Karsten says knowing the maps would be useful as we can try to repeat the error.

let us know what maps it is happening for you on and we can see what happens when we play them.
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Laxyak

The maps I had issues with are #1967 "Tri Chamber" and #2323 "Multitasking." To test with the editor, I simply downloaded straight from the website rather than through the game launcher.

Oh, wait. I modified map 2323 to have more blue Xs, and that seemed to help. I guess the issue was PEBKAC. Lol!

Karsten75

Quote from: Laxyak on February 15, 2022, 06:50:04 PM
The maps I had issues with are #1967 "Tri Chamber" and #2323 "Multitasking." To test with the editor, I simply downloaded straight from the website rather than through the game launcher.

Oh, wait. I modified map 2323 to have more blue Xs, and that seemed to help. I guess the issue was PEBKAC. Lol!

Thanks for the self-diagnostic :)

I can tell you conclusively that 1967 worked as intended. One indestructible marked with a blue "X" and one packet dispatchedfrom the "inactive nest destroyed it.

Care should be taken to a) not destroy the next that emits enemy dig packets, and b) the entire path should be free of other obstructions *and* anti-Creeper