Started by AutoPost, December 20, 2011, 05:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #574: Trapped

Author: SmileyCoder

Desc:

North Korean

SmileyCoder

I see my map is getting quite a bit of downvotes, and im guessing its because people have trouble completing it.

First off, the purpose with this map is to make a game that never reaches the state where you are done building reactors, and simply wait for the last creeper to get killed. Therefore you are constantly building and moving.

The intention of the map is to keep the player constantly alert, and keep it interesting to the end.

But since people are strugling, I will give a few pointers:
Spoiler

• Read the initial dialoque, for vital points
  • Every 4 minutes you will be bombared so badly, that you need to move to the next room
  • Every 4 minutes, a new "fresh" room will be opened up for you, giving you space to move
  • I suggest using pause a bit at that time, though it is possible to complete game without using pause
  • Premark the digging sites of the next room, before the phantoms are fired, to make the move easier
  • You need to build up fast, and make sure to make techdomes.
  • Be sure to increase your maximum energy storage, this will make it easier to move from room to room
  • One of the conversion bombs is meant to die. You can't do anything to prevent it. I added it for a bit of "Ohh noooo feeling" and extra stress  ;D
  • Dont spend energy fighting the creeper, set your blasters to only fire on creeper, until your are the last room
  • Remember goal is not to kill off creeper, goal is to save the capsules

[close]
Best of luck with your game,
TheSmileyCoder

TheSmileyCoders YouTube channel feat. tutorials on using Treeviews in Access
I might have promised fool proof, but I never promised user proof.

PurpleYouko

I liked it a lot. :D

It makes a nice change to have to think about how to survive and progress.

I played it for the first time yesterday and made it through the first 4 chambers then made the mistake of digging the wrong ground up by the launcher tech and got killed by the creeper it released. lol
That will teach me to check before digging.  :(

I'll try again a little later when I have the time.

SmileyCoder

Thank you for your feedback!

Spoiler
All the entombed creeper is marked by a different type of ground
[close]
TheSmileyCoder

snowmaker (JM)

The gameplay is unique and fun. Keep it up  :)

Kithros

It's potentially possible to break this map by destroying all your buildings  and flying the LS back to the previous room just before the phantoms launch - by doing this, you can then fly back, build a microrift, and then build a microrift on the other end of the next room to reach the following room, build another microrift etc. to get a vastly faster time than should be possible.

EDIT: Oh, and it's possible to get more or less screwed over if the conversion bomb gets hit by a phantom - I really don't feel like killing off the creeper normally so that's pretty much where I'm stopping.

SmileyCoder

1 conversion bomb is intended to die. The other is protected by a field moving away creeper if it lands on the bomb.
TheSmileyCoder

SmileyCoder

Ok, I retract the previous statement partially. If you do not have any buildings or units (besides the Liberty ship and the conversion bomb) then roughly half the phantoms will hit the CB and half the LS. This is more then the field protecting the CB can handle. In test I have made sure that the field protecting the CB could handle at least 3 phantoms hitting it.

It would seem its simply your approach that is flawed. Your attempt at breaking the map cannot succed.
TheSmileyCoder

Kithros

Quote from: SmileyCoder on December 21, 2011, 04:18:06 PM
Ok, I retract the previous statement partially. If you do not have any buildings or units (besides the Liberty ship and the conversion bomb) then roughly half the phantoms will hit the CB and half the LS. This is more then the field protecting the CB can handle. In test I have made sure that the field protecting the CB could handle at least 3 phantoms hitting it.

It would seem its simply your approach that is flawed. Your attempt at breaking the map cannot succed.

Playing normally can screw over the conversion bomb also if you get unlucky - and probably more importantly, my strategy can still work but only if you're lucky enough, which means the best strategy for this map is to hope you get lucky.

EDIT: Oh, and as far as my approach being 'flawed', good luck beating my time if you think that.

SmileyCoder

Impressive that you were able to break my design.

I still say it must have taken quite a bit of luck.

Not only do I believe you need to keep the CB alive (I suppose I could be wrong), but you also need the phantoms to strike the points between the rooms in order to break the AC barrier (which is there to prevent 1 gateway from digging the next room)

If I as an editor could have more control over dig packets (Like turning off a gateway or selfdestructing a gateway) it would be easier to control.

If you can make a map with the same concept, but can find a way to prevent it from being broken, I would really like to hear about it!
TheSmileyCoder

NickHounsome

Good map. It took a few saves, I'm pretty sure I couldn't have done it without pause and I panicked and made a bolt for the last pod which meant I had to go back and get the one before last the long slog way after killing off the phantom emitter.

Not sure where you intended the conversion bomb to be used but I guess I picked right.

A general tip for strugglers: If you're going to dig out creeper ground then surround it with shields first.

SmileyCoder

TheSmileyCoder

Kithros

Quote from: SmileyCoder on December 22, 2011, 02:20:49 AM
Impressive that you were able to break my design.

I still say it must have taken quite a bit of luck.

Not only do I believe you need to keep the CB alive (I suppose I could be wrong), but you also need the phantoms to strike the points between the rooms in order to break the AC barrier (which is there to prevent 1 gateway from digging the next room)

If I as an editor could have more control over dig packets (Like turning off a gateway or selfdestructing a gateway) it would be easier to control.

If you can make a map with the same concept, but can find a way to prevent it from being broken, I would really like to hear about it!

Actually, I used microrifts since there was nothing stopping me from rebuilding in the same room after the phantoms hit (since the phantoms hit the previous room), and then just built a microrift on the other end of the next room (gateway dig packets can use microrifts also). Instead of using phantoms it would probably be better to just use a really powerful emitter with a starting delay at the same space as the gateway, and to be safe you should probably have had the anti-creeper wall behind the terrain to actually be entombed within the terrain - then you can teleport the anti-creeper out when you want the dig packets to be sent out.

There's a kind of interesting thing about this, because you can dig through entombed creeper terrain, but gateways are not able to send packets through entombed anti-creeper. On a tangent there's another interesting thing that can be done with this that allows gateways to only dig through terrain from one side if you entomb anti-creeper only on the other side of the terrain to improvise a way to make gateways prioritize digging through certain areas first, but not particularly relevant to this specific case.

SmileyCoder

Thank you (Kithros) for your feedback.

I favour the phantoms over the titan emitter, since I believe it creates a higher sense of urgency wathching the cloud of phantoms approaching.

I should have just disabled the microrift :P
TheSmileyCoder