Custom Map #349: The puzzle

Started by AutoPost, October 20, 2011, 07:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #349: The puzzle

Author: xing

Desc:
All the creeper is getting teleported into the box All you have to do is fill the box with anti-creeper

DethbyIT

I really liked this concept, but will have to play around with containing/eliminating the Creeper from that top Emitter.
Obviously the solution is to NOT beat on it with launchers.
My repulsors generated all of the AC I needed, but then stopped.
Not sure what I did wrong.

Thank you for a fun game.
dbit

Grauniad

I couldn't solve this. But then, I'm notoriously bad with this "creeper into anti-creeper" thing.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Kithros

There are quite a few solutions that will allow you to get 2147M creeper into one subcell (as long as you redirect the anti-creeper away afterwards this is enough to win) - the good solutions however will be able to focus *all* the creeper into a single subcell, that way you don't need to spend so much time clearing off the creeper afterwards (essentially 50% chance of having more anti-creeper than creeper at that point after nullifying the emitter - depending on very specific times you nullify the emitter etc.).

Before digging anything out, you should be sure to look at the fields using 'R' (and having the show fields on) - if you dig too much it will make this map much much harder to solve.

DethbyIT

"if you dig too much it will make this map much much harder to solve."

Which is exactly what I did - cleared away ALL the terrain around the upper Emitter.

Anyone have a link to a discussion of the creative use of Repulsors to make AC? I noticed for the first time in the "Annoying" game that this can be done.
Thanks,
dbit

Kithros

Quote from: DethbyIT on October 20, 2011, 09:37:35 AM
"if you dig too much it will make this map much much harder to solve."

Which is exactly what I did - cleared away ALL the terrain around the upper Emitter.

Anyone have a link to a discussion of the creative use of Repulsors to make AC? I noticed for the first time in the "Annoying" game that this can be done.
Thanks,
dbit

Repulsors are only useful when the densities are *EXTREMELY* close to the maximum - even being 2145M density repulsors will not be able to do the trick (on their own) - in this case the density maximum of the emitter is 2000M, so you'll have to make use of the fields to get it to overflow (I did not use any repulsors on this one).

DethbyIT

Hmmm...thanks for the 'puzzle' you added to "The puzzle" - LOL!

I put one Repulsor on the right and two on the left in an attempt to duplicate what you did in 'Annoying'.
The one on the right didn't do anything, but the two on the left must have done enough compression to create the AC - which flowed down and cleaned out that bottom box.

I'll have to ponder your puzzle for a bit, because right now I am flummoxed about how you managed this.
dbit

Kithros

Quote from: DethbyIT on October 20, 2011, 09:53:58 AM
Hmmm...thanks for the 'puzzle' you added to "The puzzle" - LOL!

I put one Repulsor on the right and two on the left in an attempt to duplicate what you did in 'Annoying'.
The one on the right didn't do anything, but the two on the left must have done enough compression to create the AC - which flowed down and cleaned out that bottom box.

I'll have to ponder your puzzle for a bit, because right now I am flummoxed about how you managed this.
dbit

Actually, if you just dig all the terrain it will produce anti-creeper (without any repulsors) - however, you will always be left with a cleanup phase once the creeper density reduces, because the creeper will not be entirely focused onto a certain point - at that point, there will still be ridiculous densities leftover, but you will not be able to get it to overflow anywhere anymore (as it just goes in circles), leaving nothing to do but tediously kill it off with launchers.

MadMurphy

No idea how to make AC!

Nothing about doing this in the help section of the game.

Kithros

Quote from: MadMurphy on October 20, 2011, 09:39:34 PM
No idea how to make AC!

Nothing about doing this in the help section of the game.

If creeper density goes above approximately 2147M, it will overflow and become 2147M anti-creeper. I also suspect this map might be different on older versions of the game since the density cap on emitters used to be 1B, but I can't say for sure since I haven't actually played on an older version.

NNR_Alex

So this whole 'making AC' thing is exploiting a glitch, or is it a legitimate tactic with some explanation (in story) about how creeper at high concentration can become anti creeper?

UmberGryphon

Quote from: NNR_Alex on October 21, 2011, 02:11:26 AM
So this whole 'making AC' thing is exploiting a glitch, or is it a legitimate tactic with some explanation (in story) about how creeper at high concentration can become anti creeper?

It's a glitch.  In computer programming, numbers are often stored in a size called "signed 32-bit", which can hold numbers from −2,147,483,648 to 2,147,483,647.  And when you add 1 to 2,147,483,647, you get −2,147,483,648--the numbers "wrap around".  So 2147M creeper turns into -2147M, which is 2147M anti-creeper.

DethbyIT

Quote from: UmberGryphon on October 21, 2011, 02:51:08 AM
It's a glitch. 

In some circles, that is called an 'undocumented feature'.

Grauniad

Quote from: UmberGryphon on October 21, 2011, 02:51:08 AM
Quote from: NNR_Alex on October 21, 2011, 02:11:26 AM

It's a glitch.  In computer programming, numbers are often stored in a size called "signed 32-bit", which can hold numbers from −2,147,483,648 to 2,147,483,647.  And when you add 1 to 2,147,483,647, you get −2,147,483,648--the numbers "wrap around".  So 2147M creeper turns into -2147M, which is 2147M anti-creeper.

It is actually a design decision.. Virgil chose to do this. There were several ways this could have been prevented, but Virgil thought it might make for a few interesting scenarios.  And the players and mapmakers then found several other ways to exploit this.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

MadMurphy

Not a fan of these glitches. I would at least like some documentation on it so that it is clear.

Makes me think a lot of the high scores are suspect to glitching now.