Custom Map #22: Tower Attack

Started by AutoPost, August 16, 2011, 04:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #22: Tower Attack

Author: MadMag

Desc:
Rescue the peope in the tower from the terrorist attack!

MadMurphy

Really hard start on this one. Took me about 4 tries before I was able to complete it.

fraterpotens

so so great!
I missed your maps once they trailed off on CW1, so psyched you are producing again!

antijava

How do you even get a foothold on this?  I can't get enough power to mount a defense, much less an offense.

Kithros

Quote from: antijava on August 21, 2011, 10:32:55 PM
How do you even get a foothold on this?  I can't get enough power to mount a defense, much less an offense.

There are a number of ways to go about this - it's possible to simple build a launcher above the emitters, and have it shoot in - at that point the creeper will overflow still, but not far enough to hit any of your base on the right side of the map (this is a very slow way to go about it, but it should work). The most obvious way to defend would probably be to use shields to hold off the creeper early on and build up several reactors, and then build 2 blasters to defend before the shields break - probably a bit faster, but still fairly slow.

For the less conventional methods of beating it.. you can use shields to stall, then build a microrift and beacon underground, build a microrift up top and stay above the creeper - build a repulsor before the last shields break, that repulsor on short setting will easily be enough to defend your reactor farm virtually indefinitely and you can easily build up from there using the microrifts to ignore the creeper.

Finally, the way I did it (requires pretty meticulous timing on building shields to do well), I pretty much used shields to stall and dug straight down to the ore and built a maker. The pitiful creeper densities make you virtually invincible once the creeper maker is running even on 1x production.
Spoiler
[close]

This is especially nice because the maker makes it extremely easy to start an offensive right away as well, on maps with low gravity like this creeper makers are extremely good.

Grauniad

Hint: The creeper on this map is incredibly thin. Shooting at incredibly thin creeper is wasteful of energy.

Edit: Oh wow. MadMag submitted the evil, harder version. :(

Personally I thought his earlier version was more accessible, but I guess that's his prerogative.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Ebon Heart

Quote from: Grauniad on August 21, 2011, 10:53:23 PM
Hint: The creeper on this map is incredibly thin. Shooting at incredibly thin creeper is wasteful of energy.
Expansion on hint: anti creeper can be used to destroy incredibly thin creeper right away, so your blasters target more important areas. Also, using repulsors or shields can help condense the creeper a bit around the edges so you aren't wasting as much energy. I'm not sure what's available in this map... I'm on my iPod, can't check atm. Sorry.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

antijava

I can just barely dig down to the ore deposit by the time the huge creeper in the basement explodes and overpowers me.  It takes forever to dig down to the ore with 25 energy per floor and nearly no reactors. I can only afford 2 blasters, and even that only barely.  The "evil" version of this map must be the one I have downloaded.  Seems impossible.  Definitely not fun.

Kithros

Quote from: antijava on August 21, 2011, 11:40:40 PM
I can just barely dig down to the ore deposit by the time the huge creeper in the basement explodes and overpowers me.  It takes forever to dig down to the ore with 25 energy per floor and nearly no reactors. I can only afford 2 blasters, and even that only barely.  The "evil" version of this map must be the one I have downloaded.  Seems impossible.  Definitely not fun.

One of the earlier versions had a bunker - but the bunker was removed because MadMag forgot that the bunker could shoot at creeper.

Another method I just found that works decently fast but still slightly slower than the creeper maker rush (probably easier to execute)

I started off by building only 1 reactor and then shielded up as far down as I could, then I built reactors where I could without digging, dug down 1 space and built another layer of shields, and repeated building reactors whenever I had extra energy (build shields the latest you can). Charge up the creeper maker and burst out all the creeper when you make your push upward.

Spoiler
[close]

EDIT: Some of the slower strategies I mentioned earlier if anyone was curious:

Spoiler
[close]
Built 3 reactors behind the wall, then built some shields above the wall to buy some extra time (the creeper wouldn't overflow and hit it on all sides), then built 1 blaster at a time. Easy enough to build up from here.

Spoiler
[close]
Completely ditched all building space, and went straight for a launcher way up in the air. Once the creeper stopped flowing onto the building space I built a blaster and cleared out the creeper on top, simple enough to build up from here.

Spoiler
[close]
Used shields to stall, built a few reactors and then used a beacon + microrifts to send packets past the creeper with a repulsor to defend.

Fisherck

Great map! My technique was similar to Kithros' first post, except I built a blaster before my maker to control the creeper. But there are plenty of techniques available. Some easier than others... ;)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

DethbyIT

First of all, a big thank you to MadDog for jumping into CW2. His maps have always been among my favorites (CW1). I plan on playing a "Tower Attack" marathon on 9/11. Semper Fi!

Next:
A request of the Beta players - describe the techniques you are using to get through the first 30-60 seconds. Obviously, you guys are way ahead of the pack on playing this game - but (for me) it is impossible to figure out how got to that 3-4 minute mark.

The example of dropping the LS down below a shield looks great (at 3:44), but my shield melts under a pile of Creeper in less that 30 seconds. Obviously, I am making some pretty basic blunders coming out of the starting blocks.
Thanks,
dbit

Kithros

Quote from: DethbyIT on August 24, 2011, 06:15:25 AM
First of all, a big thank you to MadDog for jumping into CW2. His maps have always been among my favorites (CW1). I plan on playing a "Tower Attack" marathon on 9/11. Semper Fi!

Next:
A request of the Beta players - describe the techniques you are using to get through the first 30-60 seconds. Obviously, you guys are way ahead of the pack on playing this game - but (for me) it is impossible to figure out how got to that 3-4 minute mark.

The example of dropping the LS down below a shield looks great (at 3:44), but my shield melts under a pile of Creeper in less that 30 seconds. Obviously, I am making some pretty basic blunders coming out of the starting blocks.
Thanks,
dbit

I went through several layers of shields with that - you'll note that I've dug through a few of the terrain blocks on the right in that time so I could move the LS farther down and build more layers of shields (in hindsight I realize I could have dug through the left side to save some energy, but I didn't realize those blocks could be dug at the time). Early in the game this is quite energy intensive so you might want to save a lot to make sure you don't build too many reactors too fast (but still build them when you can afford them)

florrat

I really liked this map. I found it quite hard, but reading this topic I guess I've picked a "wrong" strategy. I used "Kithros first slow strategy". I now realise I hard to rush much faster to the ore.

jason_adams

This map seems excellent, but I'm honestly beside myself trying to solve it. I beat the game, all the bonus missions, and plenty of code missions, but for some reason this one has me stumped! Even with the hints and screenshots!!!

I tried to go off the first image Kithors provided, but I just can't figure how he built so much by less than four minutes into the map. Aside from blasters and launchers, everything I make is ultimately destroyed for the first two minutes as the initial creeper pools at the bottom. At that point, I definitely don't know how I'd clear out what's there with the meager energy I've got, dig out enough room for the ship, set up shields, and establish over a dozen reactors...

The closest I get is clearing enough off the top of the parking garage when I can, and digging a straight line down to the ore, creating reactors as I go. But by the time I got down to it and have my energy up, the tower is flooded with orange creeper and it ultimately overwhelms me every time as I try to survive against it. I miserably end up watching a small fleet of blasters try to keep my ship from blowing up — which is shivering against the top of the parking building.

I must be missing something vital and not starting the map at all correctly, but I just can't seem to see the solution! :(

MadMag