Custom Map #2766: The Treasure Chamber

Started by AutoPost, April 03, 2016, 07:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #2766: The Treasure Chamber

Author: Binz

Desc:
You barely make it in, then a door shuts and you are trapped inside. I guess that's how it goes with treasure chambers.

kittychow

Kittychow

Karsten75

Binz

Quote from: kittychow on April 06, 2016, 11:49:38 AM
What is the trick?

I don't know how the tacticians with faster clear times than myself did it, but here is how you can take the map by force:

Part 1
Spoiler
Optionally grab the nullifier tech before navigating the Liberation Ship down to the only safe haven on the map. If you don't do it quicly enough, the creeper will catch up on the ship; but with a slow and steady pace, you should have no trouble getting there. Once there, collect all techs and set up a 20-somewhat amount of energy collection. Make sure that the tech domes at the very bottom of the map are all in the light of beacons, and make sure you build a micro rift so that the domes can be supplied. While upgrading your systems, start shooting at the creeper stream with blasters and mortar launchers. After sitting it out for a while, you'll notice that the creeper slowly dwindles and the stream is taken over by your own anti-creeper. So you can start working backward through the shaft, back to the top.
[close]

Part 2
Spoiler
Fill your walls with additional reactors until you have ca.+50 energy collection. The final battle is the vertical waterfall. Prepare 18 mortars and 36 blasters, and place them in vertical rows of 9 each, from left to right: mortar - blaster - blaster - mortar - blaster - blaster. This ought to be able to kill a creeper wave before it reaches the left wall. In the few precious seconds between one wave and the next, advance your back three rows to the front. Repeat until you reach the emitter. Cover the emitter with shields and place 9 nullifiers around them.
[close]

Part 3
Spoiler
Cannot claim victory yet? At the bottom left of your map, there is an inaccessible chamber with a minimal amount of creeper and an anti-creeper maker in it. The presence of the creeper is keeping you from clearing the map. Collect the Anti-Creeper Maker tech, build an anti-creeper maker anywhere in the stream, and set it to "vacuum". It will collect anti-creeper and pass it on to the other anti-creeper automatically, clearing out the last bit of creeper.
[close]

Bongo

I've played a lot of maps but for some reason I just can't get this one. I can't outrun the creeper no matter how well I time the digging. It's mostly because I'm waiting for the stupid Gate to send Dig Packets while taking damage from Creeper.

I'm playing the version with the embedded Adobe Air and there are some subtle differences between the main version. For instance you CAN'T use Repulsors to blow Creeper/Anti-Creeper off of poorly designed Fields. An example is "Third" (#2657) by Mavelost. With the normal version I distinctly remember being able to blow the Anti-Creeper at the top off to the left where it then rained down. I'm wondering if there is some other difference that makes this map impossible for me while 70+ other people seem to have finished it just fine.

Or maybe I'm missing something ridiculously simple?

Karsten75

I've alerted Virgil to this post. It may be something that we need to investigate, sicne I don't see how imbedding AIR in the game will change the game mechanics.

knucracker

I'm not seeing how there could be a difference.  Embedded AIR just means the version of AIR necessary to run the game is included with the game and doesn't have to be installed separately.  All of the game logic is in AS3 at a high level.  I could imagine scenarios where it was totally broken and wouldn't run in one case vs the other, but a subtle high level difference in game logic would be a very improbable event.

Bongo

I don't know about this map but I'm (almost) sure that the Repulsor thing did change.

It was like this before:

1. If you have a square of Field arrows all pointing inward.
2. The arrows 'contain' some Creeper (or Anti-Creeper), and it can't get out.
3. As long as there is only ONE layer of Field arrows a Repulsor pointed LEFT or UP (but NOT right or down) could push the (Anti-)Creeper OUT of the 'field container' even if it was made of level 4 Field arrows.

It's not a big deal because most good mappers make double layers of Field arrows to contain Creeper. There's only like 5 maps where it can really be used to one's advantage. It seemed obvious that it was some sort of bug or logic flaw because it only worked in two out of four directions. I only noticed the change after I installed the embedded AIR version but maybe it changed before that (for everyone?).

---

As far as this map, I was thinking it might have something to do with random number generator or seed affecting the order that the Terrain receives Dig Packets. Like the Repulsor thing it wouldn't be a big deal except for a few maps with overly 'tight' (insane) timing like this one.

I'm really just curious. In this game, it's not often that 70+ people figure something out that I can't.

Karsten75

I have the non-AIR version of the game and I recall this map well. Played it several times to optimize whatever score I have on it. I just played it again to the point where I went all the way down and re-established a beachhead at the top.  I stopped, since I used up all the stored energy and thus would be limited in future energy use (bad energy management during build-out phase).

Binz

Quote from: Bongo on September 03, 2016, 02:50:12 PM
I'm really just curious. In this game, it's not often that 70+ people figure something out that I can't.

So I doubt that it has something to do with you. Getting "into the cave" requires a bit of tight timing, but it has a pretty straightforward strategy. I don't know if this helps, but here is a video of me playing this part of the map. I think I've tried at least 20 times, it works like this for me every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVWNhmglX_I&feature=youtu.be

Cheers.

SirNee

So, I haven't posted before, but I came looking for answers as to why I couldn't beat this map.  The video by Binz was great because I got to see how the creeper was supposed to be acting.  I tried to attach a screenshot to show that on the second column the creeper did not behave the same way as in the video.  This made the map impossible to do.

I'm starting to wonder if there were any other maps that this sort of thing was happening to me on.

Karsten75

Quote from: SirNee on December 23, 2016, 02:34:58 AM
So, I haven't posted before, but I came looking for answers as to why I couldn't beat this map.  The video by Binz was great because I got to see how the creeper was supposed to be acting.  I tried to attach a screenshot to show that on the second column the creeper did not behave the same way as in the video.  This made the map impossible to do.

I'm starting to wonder if there were any other maps that this sort of thing was happening to me on.

What version of the game are you on? most recent?   http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld2/patches.php

There are also non-Air versions now, I'll see if I can dig up the links...

knucracker

The versions on that patches page are non-standaloneAIR versions.  They will install with their own installer and should be the latest anniversary versions.

SirNee

I am using the Anniversary edition, title page says ver: 0800

Karsten75

Stay "tooned" - developments are afoot. ....