Force Weapons in CW4: shield, repulsor, 'driver', other?

Started by Twi, July 10, 2018, 07:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twi

So having weapons that push (anti)creeper around without causing direct damage is a pretty neat thing that happens in the Creeper World series (and Particle Fleet, if you count that), and I'm pretty sure it'd be pretty neat if it happened in CW4 too, at least in some form or another.

Shields already exist in CW4, at least in totem form, but they could be units too. But we already had shields in the last game, and they're perhaps a bit too spammable for my tastes?

Repulsor beams like those in CW2 could be interesting. Having to set a cone or beam direction for the force to go makes them potentially much more strategic in their usage, and they might have more utility in pushing AC around where you want it to go instead of having incidental anti-spore utility. (My only major concernis how precise would their aiming need to be?)

A weird idea I had was a 'driver', not to be confused with the other driver that was a thing at one point. Basically imagine something like CW2's missile where the projectile flies into the creeper, but instead of blowing up when it runs out of life, the 'driver' projectile basically grabs the creeper around it and drags it along, effectively shoving some of the creeper away from the weapon. (Though it could blow up when it runs out of life too.) Imagine it as a tiny black hole that you shove into the creeper to push the creeper away from you. It's... funky, so I'm not sure how much I like it, and it might need more details and be altogether a bit too complicated?

You could also do something else if you wanted, but those are the ideas that come to mind for me specifically, and again, a force-based/field manipulation weapon just feels like something right to have in the game, personally!
Currently watching: ARIA, Dog Days, and other unlikely things.
And some likely things, too!

Chimera++

You know what would be cool? Being able to freely push creeper with your mouse.

I don't care how you do it, make a super expensive antigrav weapon that burns energy on use, limit the force of the push, the range on the map where you can use, I am sure that being able to create waves with the mouse would be more fun than some static shield, or repulsor beams.

ShadowDragon7015

Don't some of the PAC maps have that ability to draw a field with your mouse to push creeper around?
Hiding the golden creeper for years to come.

GoodMorning

I thought the original PaC was made with that function - I could be wrong. If so, though, it's "all, not "some".
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Twi

So watching K75's alpha streams got me thinking, and I kinda figured I'd use this topic again.

How much could utility could you get out of a tile-thick, zero-range wall? Obviously, it'd have limited offensive potential (since it's one tile large, each unit is probably cheap and quick to build, so you could possibly use it to turn a kinda-clear spot for building a nullifier or whatever into a clear enough spot to get your units there). But I could see it being useful for that extra bit of defense to counter, say, waves of creeper from stashes. Or it could be something that you could spread around inside your base so that if you get hit by a spore or a glider or whatever, the problem is contained until you can rush units to the scene. But again, having zero (or near-zero) range means you can't push with it much if at all, which is obviously a major limitation.

I'm also unsure how this thing would work in terms of health. One idea is it being indestructible (but not impenetrable) so long as it remains powered. Another idea is that it takes health damage and you send it energy to repair it, so it can basically hold up as long as you can spam energy at it.
Currently watching: ARIA, Dog Days, and other unlikely things.
And some likely things, too!