Hardest Tormented Space maps

Started by florrat, October 12, 2013, 06:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord_Farin

Quote from: florrat on October 17, 2013, 01:29:15 AM
Today I tried Kilnaleport multiple times, and I must say: I'm stuck. If "Guardian" could post some screenshots to demonstrate how he did it (preferably of minutes 3-10), I'd be grateful.

I can survive about 8 minutes without essential losses (only a couple of collectors), but even that took me a LOT of tries. And after that the creeper gets me even with 5 mortars and a shield. :-\
I did it! The amount of micro needed was insane (e.g., I had to choose optimal build order for my collectors, and manually manage my mortars to stay below about 50% load so as to direct the other packets to reactors) but eventually I got through.

This easily qualifies as the hardest map I beat so far. I don't think I have energy for playing more CW3 today...
Behold, Nexus! Looketh skywards, for thy obliteration thence nighs, my foul enemy!

catpaw

Quote from: Lord_Farin on October 19, 2013, 10:58:54 AM
Quote from: florrat on October 17, 2013, 01:29:15 AM
Today I tried Kilnaleport multiple times, and I must say: I'm stuck. If "Guardian" could post some screenshots to demonstrate how he did it (preferably of minutes 3-10), I'd be grateful.

I can survive about 8 minutes without essential losses (only a couple of collectors), but even that took me a LOT of tries. And after that the creeper gets me even with 5 mortars and a shield. :-\
I did it! The amount of micro needed was insane (e.g., I had to choose optimal build order for my collectors, and manually manage my mortars to stay below about 50% load so as to direct the other packets to reactors) but eventually I got through.

This easily qualifies as the hardest map I beat so far. I don't think I have energy for playing more CW3 today...

Wow, congrats!

So after all just classical approach works after all, no gimmicks, just have to do it in an awesome way :)

Thx, I'm gonne keep trying...

florrat

Congrats LF!

Interesting that you could survive at 11:00 with less weapons than I had at 8:00. I was already afraid that my mortars were less effective because they shot too far away from the platform. Will try again!

4xC

S200_53: Langkao. Any ideas?

BTW, could we please separate the worlds with/without inhibitors by forum topics? The primary goal is the most inhibitors and the secondary goal is the mot maps.
C,C,C,C

Lord_Farin

Quote from: 4xC on October 21, 2013, 02:35:08 AM

BTW, could we please separate the worlds with/without inhibitors by forum topics? The primary goal is the most inhibitors and the secondary goal is the mot maps.
Start top-left, near the spore tower. Be fast. (Langkao is comparatively easy, btw.)

Since there isn't even a high-score list for number of inhibitors destroyed in Tormented Space, it doesn't seem necessary to split this thread. It's just about hard TS maps. Nothing more to it.
Behold, Nexus! Looketh skywards, for thy obliteration thence nighs, my foul enemy!

catpaw

Quote from: 4xC on October 21, 2013, 02:35:08 AM

Not Langkao specific, but my general strategy for hard maps in CW3 is as follows (and gets a good time on other maps):

First I start the game once without doing anything all. Just watching how the creeper is flowing and how much time I got on the best platform before it arrives and its defense has to to work.

On the second run, I first build a collector net, possibly a tad larger than the area I want to defend later. THen, and this is where it differes from my CW1 strategy or naive approach is to build a few reactors even before the first weapon. The amount you can build before you have to mortar differs from the map. Then I build mortars, maybe one or two PC on strategic places, but the focus is on mortars.

Once I break even counter-attacking is the usual stragegy, more energy, more weapons until it moves back. On tiny maps a TERP comes in handy to make a bit more place, so the reactor/colector grid can be made to fit as closely as possible. Once reaching a totem and having one or two energy efficeny upgrades, it becomes easy, only challenge is a good time and I often don't feel like that and just turn up speed and have time working for me now.

catpaw

S200_78 Auchcardensar was pretty tough

Yalichenta

Well done on doing Auchcardensar the way you did ! I tried ~5-6 time to start there, trying to expend both where you did and to the right of the PZ, but never managed to pull it off... then I placed my CN on the north-western corner, and building a terp quite early (+using the time freeze on the southern emitter) allowed for a easily defensible position (with walls of height 2-3 + 3mortars, you could last a long time), from which I expended a bit and then assaulted directly the inhibitor. If there were an additional emitter on the north west (forcing to use your placement), I would totally agree that it's a really hard map, but that safe spot kinda spoil it :(

iamted

large map, was difficult for me at the beginning, s200_29 lostrakus.  there are a couple of small maps that are just ridiculous in that system, possible imps.   

catpaw

Quote from: Yalichenta on October 21, 2013, 06:53:50 PM
Well done on doing Auchcardensar the way you did ! I tried ~5-6 time to start there, trying to expend both where you did and to the right of the PZ, but never managed to pull it off... then I placed my CN on the north-western corner, and building a terp quite early (+using the time freeze on the southern emitter) allowed for a easily defensible position (with walls of height 2-3 + 3mortars, you could last a long time), from which I expended a bit and then assaulted directly the inhibitor. If there were an additional emitter on the north west (forcing to use your placement), I would totally agree that it's a really hard map, but that safe spot kinda spoil it :(

Interesting. I'm going to try that approach. Lesson learned, the area flooded last without interaction is not necessarily the best starting location.

Yalichenta

s200_153 : Sieioanu (south-west)

This map was just insane. Thanks virgil to have that kind of map in the game, and for allowing that kind of map to be "randomly generated", If I could import it in the map editor, I can't think of any changes that would make that map harder that wouldn't also make it impossible...

I won't spoil anything over the strategy that I used (at least not before a couple other people beat it, to let them discover it themself). I'll just mention :
- I nearly submitted it as impossible when I first tried it, and twice more after that.
- It is possible
- I spent ~12-15h on that map, over a bit more than a week, and tried at least 4 different strategies.
- I could most probably finish that map in 20-30mn less than I did (1mn34), I was just so excited when I finally got to a point where I could decisively push back the creeper that I couldn't bother trying to optimize the late game.

Grauniad

Quote from: Yalichenta on October 26, 2013, 01:42:43 AM

If I could import it in the map editor,

You can indeed import it into the editor.

Create a save of the map.
Create a new editor project and close it.
Copy the saved map into the editor project files and make sure it replaces the save.cw3 file there.
Open the new editor project.

That is how I saved the original Waternaris and Aigues Mortes maps for posterity.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Lord_Farin

Just so people don't miss it: I've edited this reply to include some further hard maps.

Silverite

Map S200-72 Igolurgla was extremely hard

allu

Getting some screenies/vid about S200_54 (2,6) - Kinloneport would be great. With the use of slight terraforming I managed to camp for 15 minutes. Still the creeper was slowly overflowing.