Custom Map #136: Last Defense

Started by AutoPost, September 02, 2011, 02:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #136: Last Defense

Author: MadMag

Desc:
SG1 is as usual on a mission on a faraway planet when General George Hammond calls them up.....

MadMag

DethbyIT

Another MadDog beauty!
Working it.
dbit

rpvc

No idea how to start this level?
Build defenses around ship = FAIL 
Setup a microrift below for more reactors = FAIL

HELP!!!!! before i smash my laptop

Is it Daniel Jacksons secret passage????

Kithros

The easy solution is to just put shields in front of the spaces the creeper teleports to - if you're fast, you can also nullify some of the emitters/gateways with shields while the terrain is decaying. As far as the drones go, I recommend using shields to defend from them. It shouldn't be that hard to turtle up and defend yourself with repulsors, digging down once the gateway starts digging through the terrain playing normally though.. I imagine your problem playing it normally is that you're using blasters instead of repulsors, repulsors would be much more effective for defending on this map (if you were turtling)

rpvc

Yep i was using blasters, Tanx ill give it another go

DethbyIT

Looking at the only 4 players to post scores, I'm thinking it is going to be a while before normal carbon based life forms will figure this one out.
:)
dbit

Kithros

The start is extremely easy if you use shields to stop the creeper up top, this is how I started it though:
Spoiler
[close]

There are 3 shields hidden by the top bar blocking the creeper from teleporting up, the right gateway has already been nullified (the shields there were protecting the nullifier), and the left emitter and gateway are being nullified by the same nullifier. I built another layer of shields around the creeper on the left side and it never broke free, so I could build down the left side right away.

It's probably possible to nullify the right emitter early on also, but I didn't feel like it would make much of a difference since it isn't really very threatening and the bottom of the map took longer to finish off than the right side anyway.

DethbyIT

@Kithros,
I tried to duplicate your picture, but ended up with a deluge of Blue Creeper (3 columns) coming down from the top - at about 1:15.
I did have the shields in place down low, but can't figure out how you prevented them from deploying.
dbit

Kithros

Quote from: DethbyIT on September 03, 2011, 09:02:53 PM
@Kithros,
I tried to duplicate your picture, but ended up with a deluge of Blue Creeper (3 columns) coming down from the top - at about 1:15.
I did have the shields in place down low, but can't figure out how you prevented them from deploying.
dbit

There are 3 shields at the top of the screen that can't be seen because of the bar at the top that stop the creeper from teleporting.

burguertime

Oh well, now flesh and bone can make it. And right 3M emitter can be nullified without spilling too.
Don't make a slog just because. Be like Master Mapmaker SPIFFEN:
Quote from: themaskedcrusader on October 05, 2010, 05:09:33 PM
(...)Difficulty is subjective. (...)
SPIFFEN chooses to rate each map as trivial because they believe that the difficulty of the map depends on the capability of the player.
BAD RATING: MEASUREMENT OF MAP HARDNESS.
Quote from: DumbCreeperGamer"Ugh, me no finish map, map too hard, ME RATE ONE.
oOga OoGa to you too.

DethbyIT

@Kithros -
Thank you for the help - couldn't have finished without it.

MadMag - another magnificent game.
Thank you.
dbit

Kithros

Shielding off the top is a completely unintended tactic - I think the way it was meant to be played was to maybe nullify some of the gateways/emitters early on, and then defend your base with repulsors etc. (might be advantageous to dig the entire LS underground once the gateway starts digging), and I don't think it should be too too hard to play like this, albeit much slower.

DethbyIT

One of the great things about MadMag games is that they are 're-playable'.
Even after getting through it (once), they are a lot of fun to make another run at.
dbit

MadMag