Creeper World games system requirements

Started by Ce Tecpatl, November 10, 2016, 03:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ce Tecpatl

Hi.

I ponder about purchasing the Creeper World Trilogy but I can't realize the exact system requirements (more precisely - the minimum Windows version required). Steam and Gamersgate give the different info, and there's no info about it on Knucklecracker own site. I plan to install all three on WinXP PC.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Forgot to mention that I don't use Steam and as I can guess the Trilogy is DRM-free.

knucracker

There are demos for all three games.  I'd start with that.  Nothing will tell you more about what to expect than running the actual games.
http://knucklecracker.com/common/demo.php

Ce Tecpatl

Well, I thought my question was very simple and I was waiting for a simpler answer than that :) I don't need demos, I know what to wait from these games, I just want to know do they run on WinXP? If there's no person in Universe who knows exactly what OSs are supported by Creeper World trilogy?

GoodMorning

Virgil does not seem to be suggesting that you play the demos for content, but rather to check that they run. This should answer your question, as the demos are largely the same software as the full game.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Ce Tecpatl

C'mon, guys, is it really no one knows the sysreq's (without need to download demos)? :D

Karsten75

Creeper World 1 and 2 were developed when XP was still a thing. As such they will run and might work. Depends on Adobe AIR support -For that you will have to go and ask at Adobe.

Creeper World 3 was developed on Windows 7.  By then XP was not supported. So no-one test for unsupported software and hardware.

Particle fleet started when Windows 10 was a thing. It will run on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 as well. No-one (again) has tested on unsupported software or hardware. It may or may not run. If you don't want to find out for yourself, then that's too bad.

If you can't be bothered to download a free demo to test capability on your specific configuration (which would be the best possible answer), then stop bothering us.

Ce Tecpatl

Quote from: Karsten75 on November 12, 2016, 10:10:01 AM

If you can't be bothered to download a free demo to test capability on your specific configuration (which would be the best possible answer), then stop bothering us.

Well, for your terrible bothering you may thank the developers that couldn't be bothered to clearly describe the system requirements for their own games on their own site. Just a couple of lines of text on three web pages (CW 1-3). It's so hard to implement, right? Much harder than downloading demos, of course.

Karsten75

Perhaps I should blame those users who find it hard to read? Or is it that you expected us to explicitly test the games on all old, obsolete hardware platforms?

GameMinumumRecommended
Creeper WorldOS: Windows 7 or later
Processor: Dual Core 2Ghz
Memory: 1 GB RAM
Graphics: Any
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Storage: 500 MB available space
Processor: Quad Core 2Ghz
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 1 GB available space
Creeper World 2OS: Windows 7 or later
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Creeper World 3OS: Windows 7 or later
Processor: Single Core 2 GHz
Graphics: Shader Model 2.0 or better
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Particle FleetOS: Windows 7 or later
Memory: 3 GB RAM
Storage: 2 GB available space
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Storage: 4 GB available space

planetfall

K75, I think you overlooked this:
Steam and Gamersgate give the different info, and there's no info about it on Knucklecracker own site.

For the record: my Wine environment is configured to Windows XP and the windows versions of all KC games (incl. particle fleet) run fine. However, there's a big gap between that and an actual windows system, which I unfortunately have no access to. It perhaps does merit testing, especially for the less draining CW1/2, which may find some new players on older systems.

However, Ce, unless you have very limited bandwidth, you could have downloaded the demos and seen for yourself in less time than you have been hollering for others to do so for you.
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

knucracker

Windows XP is no longer supported.  Gamersgate/etc. may have outdated info that I will try to get corrected/updated.  That said, the games might still work on XP.  CW1 and CW2 anniversary editions probably will (and the anniversary editions will become the official editions here in a few days).  CW3 and PF might work as well.  Unity still supports them, for the time being.  But I don't have an XP system anymore so I don't test or support XP anymore.

Sorrontis

Quote from: virgilw on November 12, 2016, 09:38:58 PM
Windows XP is no longer supported.  Gamersgate/etc. may have outdated info that I will try to get corrected/updated.  That said, the games might still work on XP.  CW1 and CW2 anniversary editions probably will (and the anniversary editions will become the official editions here in a few days).  CW3 and PF might work as well.  Unity still supports them, for the time being.  But I don't have an XP system anymore so I don't test or support XP anymore.

CW3 works "well" on my work winXP PC, but PF barely "runs." But that's a 10yo rig, so I'm not surprised.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Ce Tecpatl

Well, things has changed a little :) Now I have Win7 desktop, so the sys-reqs don't matter no more. But there's still a matter of DRM. With all my disgust about Steam it's good that they know what 'regional pricing' is. So the question is whether Creeper World games do run WITHOUT Steam client running? My gaming PC doesn't have Net connection (and won't ever have), so I'd wish to purchase CW trilogy via Steam, download it, burn to flashcard and install on my gaming PC. Is it possible?

Thanks in advance.

GoodMorning

There are two potential ways you could play:

Steam version: I do not know if the "Offline Mode" of Steam would work on your setup. If so, that answers your question.

There's also the non-Steam version which can be purchased directly from the KC site. The installer for this can be copied to your file transfer medium of choice and installed, requiring only the product key.

Ce Tecpatl

Well, so does it mean that Steam-version (the version purchased on Steam or Gamersgate or anywhere else where Steam-keys are sold) requires Steam client not only for downloading but for playing too?
I ask because there are many games that use Steam only as a distributing platform, not using Steam DRM.
So I'd prefer to purchase the Trilogy via Gamersgate (where I have a score of games), donwload it via Steam and play it offline on PC without Steam installed.

GoodMorning

You exceed my knowledge, so you can either test it yourself, or wait for someone who knows more.