UI Scaling changed in 2.12?

Started by spirix, March 07, 2016, 04:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spirix

Hi Board,

I notice some scaling issues in the new version. On my 4k monitor the text and other UI is waaaay smaller after the update. Unfortunately its quite hard to read now, almost unplayable... Is there any option to zoom the UI back to old scaling?

Attached a screenshot with normal text size in a browser beside the game window for comparison.

Windows compatibility settings (disable/enable UI scaling for cw3.exe) didn't help :-(

knucracker

I'm intrigued... not because the fonts are small but that they were ever larger.  My understanding is that on a high dpi display (say a 24 or 27" 4k display) you are always going to have tee-tiny appearing fonts in _games_ unless you run fullscreen at something lower resolution.  The only way around this is if the game supports some sort of view scaling an a UI by UI element basis.  The dpi scaling feature in windows has no effect on a direct3d or opengl rendered game.

Fonts in games are really just quads with textures (pictures) of fonts on them.  They are basically the same thing as the rest of the geometry and visuals in the game.  The only way to scale is to 'zoom in' in the game, or to change the resolution the game renders at at full screen (in that case your monitor makes everything physically larger).

That's my understanding and there are tons of people that complain about this  (google for things like "unity3d 4k scaling")who get 4k displays at anything less than 37"+ sizes.  I had a just a 2k display at 27" and I couldn't take it (the unity development environment is done in the unity engine and has the same scaling limitations as any game).

So, the question is why was it different for you with the 2.08 build.  It shouldn't have been any different ( I didn't change anything in the game, only rebuilt it with unity 5 (2.08 was built with unity 4)).  In theory, the only way you could have been looking at physically larger fonts is if you were running your monitor at less than 4k, or you ran the game fullscreen and told it to be less than 4k. 

--edit--
Btw, if you want to switch back to 2.08 and compare the difference (take another screenshot, etc). You can do that on steam by right clicking the game, going to Properties, click the "Betas" tab, then select  "Version208" in the dropdown.
Exit and restart the steam client.  On the main menu of the game after you start it you will see 2.08 in the lower left of the screen.

spirix

Hi virgil,

now this is getting strange, even with v2.08 the scaling is the same as in 2.12.

Before I had updated to 2.12 I could see 5x5 maps on the Colonial Space screen, all in normal size on my 4k monitor. Now the colonial space screen is 8x8 maps.
When I move the game window to my second monitor which is 2k everything looks normal sized.

I have played ~260 missions in this game, I would never made it so far with all the small texts/UI...

Does the game maybe update any unity libraries which are then still used even if its downgraded to 2.08?

edit: completely uninstalled the game and removed all unity settings from my machine helped. After reinstall of 2.08 it now looks good. :-)

knucracker

Hold on.... I really want to understand what is going on :)
Updating the game doesn't update any libraries or anything like that.

What settings did you remove? 

spirix

I removed the complete folder C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Unity\ and all of its contents
Uninstalled a Unity Web Player from Control Panel/Programs and Features
Checked the registry for any remains of Unity related stuff

Karsten75

Virgil had to run out, but we're both very interested in this. We think the nwer Unity may be reading your dual monitor setup different than the old Unity.

So, here are a few things we're hoping you can help with.

Everything is fine right now in 2.08? right?
- Can you take a screenshot of Colonial Space panel as above.
- Enter a map and take a screenshot that shows the menu at the bottom of the game window.
- look in %appdata%\Roaming\CreeperWorld3  for the file gamesettings.xml  and attach it here as an attachment.
- Use this post to locate your output_log.txt and attach it here

Now update to 2.12. If things change, then please upload the same set of screenshots and files as above.

spirix

Hi Karsten,

here you go, hope it helps. If you need anything else just tell me.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m9pwpx5hs3ahz0h/AACrdxuEZQ7FX5XGBbQFc7v8a?dl=0
Zip contains all Screenshots and Logs

Karsten75

Thank you. Virgil is looking at it. There is a weird discrepancy and I'm posting some of my monitor data. Can you please post similar data for your monitors?

I have two monitors.

1. (Primary) Asus PA248 1920x1200
2. (secondary) Asus VW224 1680x1050

Unity detection in 2.12 (line from output_log.txt.)

desktop: 1920x1200 60Hz; virtual: 3600x1200 at -1680,0
Same as in older 2.08.

What we see for your monitors is:

Version 2.08: desktop: 3840x2160 60Hz; virtual: 6400x1786 at 0,0
Version 2.12: desktop: 3840x2160 60Hz; virtual: 9600x2679 at 0,0

We can see unity detects something different, but we can't explain it.

For my monitors,  Unity adds horizontal resolution together and takes largest of 2 vertical resolutions.

For your monitors, we can't explain the 1768 vertical.

PS. I'm hanging out in chat. :)

knucracker

Also, are you running windows 10 and have a virtual desktop in use (or using some other software for virtual desktops)?

spirix

Primary: Lenovo Pro2840m 3840x2160
Secondary: Dell U2713H 2560x1440

OS is Windows 8.1, no additional Software for Virtual Desktop or anything else installed but I have an SLI setup with 2 Nvidia Titan Black.
Displays are configured in Windows as Extended. Attached my dxdiag output for deeper info.

Karsten75

One of the things that have us a little puzzled is these lines from your DXDiag:

DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
   User DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
System DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
     DxDiag Version: 6.03.9600.17415 64bit Unicode

In my system,  have:

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
     DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode

You seem to have multiple scalings in effect: 125% user and 150% system.  That makes it interesting to know if the misrepresentation in the Unity output line originates somehow from that combination of scaling values in effect.

spirix

Tested it with same DPI settings for user and system... had no effect on the game, still the same problem after update to 2.12.

Time of this report: 3/8/2016, 10:41:29
User DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)
System DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Enabled

Builder17

And if you change both numbers to 100% ?

spirix

Quote from: Builder17 on March 08, 2016, 06:21:53 AM
And if you change both numbers to 100% ?

then I can't see anything on my desktop because everything is too small... :D
The question here was if it matters if there are multiple scaling settings set, seems like it doesn't.

Builder17

But also Karsten75's number is 100%  ???

Quote from: Karsten75 on March 07, 2016, 05:17:18 PM

In my system,  have:

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
     DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode

Try make user DPI Setting use System setting somehow?