New map approval notice

Started by knucracker, September 10, 2011, 03:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knucracker

Just a quick note regarding map approvals.

Starting immediately, map moderators are operating under slightly different rules.  Previously, map moderators only screened for inappropriate content.  Starting now, map moderators will reject maps that are taller than necessary.  For instance, if a map is 80 rows big but only uses the top of the map, moderators are empowered to reject the map.

This is the first expansion of the map moderator rules designed to increase the quality of the submitted custom maps.  There may be other expansions in the future.

What does this mean for map authors?  So long as you think about your maps and put in the necessary attention your map will still get approved.   Just don't leave 58 rows of unnecessary terrain in the map.

Grauniad

This notice expands on an earlier notice which I'm appending here for reference:

Creeper World 2 maps are subject to a community review process. This means that all maps are subject to a 24-hour waiting period to allow map moderators to review and vote on acceptance. Even if your map has sufficient votes, it will not be accepted and become available before the 24-hour period has elapsed.

There are a number of improvements that we might want to suggest to Virgil, but right now the system works and Virgil will probably turn his attention towards the "next great thing" in the Creeper World universe, so I ask that you all be patient with the imposed time limit. It is for your own protection, after all! :)
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

MadMag

Maybe the map needs to be 80 tall for the creator, but only 50 for the top guys..

I dont see this as a problem at all, it is just whining..

Grauniad

You are a map moderator. Go look at the two maps in the approval queue that are due to be rejected. You'll see what we're talking about. :)

lich98

i guess i should agree. top players could ned only 50 map space however a beginer could use all 80
I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra

MadMag

It does not matter what I think, but what the creator of the map thinks.

I understand the 80 heigh might be a waste of space, but what is the big deal about it, a good map maker will not make maps 80 tall if not needed.. A good CW player will never play a bad map, so...

The map maker decides.. shitty map with few scores vs good map with a lot of scores. (they will learn)

lich98

yep i have to agree with that. Why should i play a crappy map?
-Walt Disney
-Yogi Berra

Fisherck

Quote from: MadMag on September 10, 2011, 04:56:32 PM

I understand the 80 heigh might be a waste of space, but what is the big deal about it, a good map maker will not make maps 80 tall if not needed.. A good CW player will never play a bad map, so...

The map maker decides.. shitty map with few scores vs good map with a lot of scores. (they will learn)

They're not learning very fast, and on top of that, we still do not have a difficulty or rating system. I still think those will be key in the "learning process" for map makers. :)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

lich98

Quote from: Fisherck on September 10, 2011, 05:06:50 PM

They're not learning very fast, and on top of that, we still do not have a difficulty or rating system. I still think those will be key in the "learning process" for map makers. :)

Yes we do need a voting/rating thing
-Walt Disney
-Yogi Berra

UpperKEES

I see why this new policy has been introduced, but I have to agree with MadMag.

Many many crappy CW1 maps have been uploaded in the past and none of them have ever been rejected (unless it was an instant win without even flying OC to the totems). They just don't get played and probably got 1 star.

What if a 10 year old kid has created a crappy CW2 map and is just very excited to see it online? His $10 are worth just as much as anybody else's.

My advise is: always read the comments before you decide to download and play. Get to know your favourite map authors and search for more maps by them. Satisfaction guaranteed.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Eric

I think we should let just about any map through. we could even have a crappy map competition, like who can get the lowest score.

Grauniad

Since all map moderators can vote, the best way to decide this issue is to 1) become a map moderator, or 2) vote the way you think a map should be treated.  If only a handful of people are voting and approving maps, then their opinions will count.

J

I agree with extra lines (max 10 or something) to create more space to build for beginners. Currently there's a map in the queue that doesn't use the top rows because there's a background while you can select a 'empty' background in the custom graphics tab.

knucracker

The '80 high map rejection rule' is only intended to address maps that are clearly left at 80 height for no apparent reason.  If a map uses 80 rows, that's great... and perfectly fine.  If it is pretty clear that the map author just didn't even think about lowering the map height, that's what this rule is for.  The intent is the map moderators simple say "I think you just forgot to reduce the map height before submitting this map" in the moderator comments for a map.  Once the author sees this, he can make a quick fix for the map and resubmit the map.

lich98

Quote from: virgilw on September 11, 2011, 06:49:05 PM
The '80 high map rejection rule' is only intended to address maps that are clearly left at 80 height for no apparent reason.  If a map uses 80 rows, that's great... and perfectly fine.  If it is pretty clear that the map author just didn't even think about lowering the map height, that's what this rule is for.  The intent is the map moderators simple say "I think you just forgot to reduce the map height before submitting this map" in the moderator comments for a map.  Once the author sees this, he can make a quick fix for the map and resubmit the map.

Yes that is a quick fix but then they have to replay through it, what if it takes 72 minutes to play through?
-Walt Disney
-Yogi Berra