Custom Map #6444: The Lost Hive 3 A Small Glimpse. By: Zorashad

Started by AutoPost, September 03, 2018, 06:06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #6444: The Lost Hive 3 A Small Glimpse

Author: Zorashad
Size: 192x192

Desc:
After finding potential clues about the location of the Tyr hive Skars travels to this fortress, where they find it. What will await them on their quest trying to vanquish the hive? The third part in this series is finally here, its a tad bit longer than originally planned but it should be fine. Like my maps? show your support on the forum and try playing the other parts of the series.

Zorashad

Be sure to tell me your thoughts about the map here! I get more motivated to create the next one of this series the more reactions i get :D

Loren Pechtel

Don't like it--your base gets basically obliterated without any recourse at the end.

D0m0nik

Yeah I was enjoying the map a lot until the Sorrontis style event. Loosing a forge at 30 mins is enough for me to give up.

GoodMorning

Loosing a forge:
"Loosing": Unleashing, releasing, siccing (sic).
"Losing": "Ack! My Forge blew up!"

One means that it is raining fury upon your opposition, the other means that it is lost, gone, vanished and probably destroyed.

I mention this largely for the comedy value.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Zorashad

Spoiler
The intention of the map is that when you release the nexus, you have to start from the start with a large save area in the middle with all the remaining units that you managed to save. Afcourse if you made use of the hint to save before destroying the last shield generator you can already beforehand create a lot of reactors in the middle or place a few guppy's for energy storage. After that you can quickly rebuild your base and quickly destroy the inhib. didn't took me longer than 10 min after destroying the middle to finish the map. For this map you have to be able to adjust to the situation, and if you can't do that because your forge is destroyed then this map is not for you(mine afcourse also got destroyed when i played it along with 30+ reactors).
[close]

Silly_Warlock

Spoiler
Turns out, that you can save CN by telling it to move before hive starts shooting :p
Happened on my third try, by the time my forge blew up I have killed almost all emitters and nullifier for inhibitor was already charging.
[close]

Zorashad

damm, i thought that wasn't possible anymore. I even tested that during my playthroughs. Welp seems there is a way to save it.

chaseshaw

I'm sorry but i HATE these maps.

anything with the play style:

OH HAHAHA YOU IDIOT YOU DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT HIDDEN MECHANISM #1234 THAT AUTO KILLS YOU THAT I DIDN"T TELL YOU ABOUT>

it's not fun. it's ragequit and downvote material.

teknotiss

never been a fan of trap maps personally.

it just puts me off replaying really.  especially if i can see a fairly easy win/workaround.  i tend to move onto another map if i play a trap one.
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Zorashad

What do you think in that case should happen in order for this kind of map to work? what would be things that i should have done differently in this type of map?

teknotiss

Quote from: Zorashad on September 09, 2018, 07:29:32 AM
What do you think in that case should happen in order for this kind of map to work? what would be things that i should have done differently in this type of map?

hmmm...

well first, if you like making them this way then do it dude, don't worry about me or other trap haters!

and what can you do in future? i'm not sure really... i get the idea is supposed to be a surprise, but in this case that surprise is pretty overwhelming.  something that can be fought off (perhaps with some sort of CPRL to have a "crew member" warn the player that something is about to occur) is better for me that something that requires a reload!

or perhaps have a safe zone that the player gets a forge and some power in?  essentially giving us a chance to recover/rebuild.

having to reload because of a hidden jack in the box puts me right off replaying, and i think that is because it is an abrubt end that is, in my opinion, unnecessary.
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

toolforger

A map that requires saving isn't a game of strategy, it's a game of cheat.
The initial phase was nice, but the trap took out the fun.