High Scores - Editing the truth?

Started by drahazar, December 26, 2011, 03:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperium

Quote from: Kithros on January 27, 2012, 10:47:42 AM
On the note of day 19 I may have unintentionally used a bug involving bunkers when I put up that score - as for how much it influenced the score I have no clue, but it is slightly illegitimate albeit unintentionally - I don't think it should have too much of an effect on what my time should have been, but still.

:o Even Kithros has has his rotten. You just came down from the position of god.

Kithros

Quote from: Emperium on January 27, 2012, 11:00:44 AM
Quote from: Kithros on January 27, 2012, 10:47:42 AM
On the note of day 19 I may have unintentionally used a bug involving bunkers when I put up that score - as for how much it influenced the score I have no clue, but it is slightly illegitimate albeit unintentionally - I don't think it should have too much of an effect on what my time should have been, but still.

:o Even Kithros has has his rotten. You just came down from the position of god.

It was pretty much an inevitable bug in earlier versions -if you saved and loaded the bunkers would fire again immediately, but the bunkers on the left couldn't fire missiles at the dense creeper so it has virtually no effect on that side, though it would somewhat reduce the creeper densities on the right bunkers since I saved/loaded a lot resulting in the bunkers firing very often - but I didn't attack that side until I already had rescued the bunkers on the left side so I already had a ridiculous amount of energy, and probably shouldn't have influenced my score too much.

For that matter everyone who has ever loaded a game on day 19 has probably very slightly used this bug as well (except in fairly new versions of the game).

J

Quote from: Emperium on January 27, 2012, 10:43:34 AM
Also, "J" said that know how to post an edit time. Actually, i dont know how to do it. In my case, i know how to hack the velocity and rate of fire of the blaster.
Yes I do and I posted it on the forums once (post has been removed). I don't have to edit blaster fire rate because I can edit another part of the game what will make blasters useless. You can edit and hack anything you want in the game. If you don't post a score or leave before you win, no problem. Everytime I find a new hack I PM Virgil about it or post it on the beta board. Be careful about what you post on the public forums.

Emperium

Quote from: J on January 27, 2012, 03:08:27 PM
Everytime I find a new hack I PM Virgil about it or post it on the beta board. Be careful about what you post on the public forums.

Of course i will not tell how i changed it to anyone  ;). I dit it just to see your reactions. Kithros reaction was the best  :P.
Anyway, im sorry about that. As you can see i didnt posted any score after i confessed here.

Why my highscores have not been removed yet?

2b3o4o

Quote from: Emperium on January 28, 2012, 09:37:13 PM
Everytime I find a new hack I PM Virgil about it or post it on the beta board. Be careful about what you post on the public forums.

Of course i will not tell how i changed it to anyone  ;). I dit it just to see your reactions. Kithros reaction was the best  :P.
Anyway, im sorry about that. As you can see i didnt posted any score after i confessed here.

I doubt it is very easy to remove scores as virgil probably didn't plan on having to do so.

CobraKill

Not only that, but he is incredibly busy.
Never trust a computer that doesn't fit through your nearest window.

Michionlion

Quote from: 2b3o4o on January 29, 2012, 09:37:57 AM
Quote from: Emperium on January 28, 2012, 09:37:13 PM

I doubt it is very easy to remove scores as virgil probably didn't plan on having to do so.

I'm pretty sure they can be removed, its the time, virgil is VERY busy at the moment... ;)
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

(e)

My first reaction to a seemingly impossible score is that there is some tactic that I have not yet thought of. If it is an interesting map then i will try again. Sometimes I actually come up with it, and get a really fast score. Eventually I give up trying and assume either the high scorer is brilliant or cheating, but probably more often brilliant.

(e)

2b3o4o

Quote from: (e) on January 29, 2012, 04:14:22 PM
My first reaction to a seemingly impossible score is that there is some tactic that I have not yet thought of. If it is an interesting map then i will try again. Sometimes I actually come up with it, and get a really fast score. Eventually I give up trying and assume either the high scorer is brilliant or cheating, but probably more often brilliant.

(e)
Me to, and I think this is the right way to go about it, complaining wont change anything since at the moment virgil is quite busy.

SmileyCoder

In any map that tries to make the user think, and use a certain strategy, you have the inevitable problem of being 1 designer trying to think about every possible strategy and account for it or prevent it, while there are 100+ people trying to find that little detail that you didn't consider.

I believe my own map "Trapped" in which Kithros manages to completely beat my "safeguards" is a good example of such a case.
Best of luck with your game,
TheSmileyCoder

TheSmileyCoders YouTube channel feat. tutorials on using Treeviews in Access
I might have promised fool proof, but I never promised user proof.

Emperium

Ah, did you see the new scores in the mission days? Agent P. did day 15 in less than 3 minutes... definely impossible. It seems that we have another hacker in action. And it seems that his hack is similar to what i did since he dont have a good time in day 1 and 20.

haloguy48

"empty" on mission academy 1 has 2 seconds.  ::) I think that is an obvious one.
~Pew Pew Pew!~ 
Building campaigns from the echos of forgotten experiences.
~Pew Pew Pew!~

SmileyCoder

I fail to see why people bother posting hacked scores. They gain so little themselves and ruin the experience for so many others.

Its like a theft we had once in our school. 30.000 worth of damages to the doors, and they got off with <1000 from the basket for coffee money....
Best of luck with your game,
TheSmileyCoder

TheSmileyCoders YouTube channel feat. tutorials on using Treeviews in Access
I might have promised fool proof, but I never promised user proof.

Emperium

Hum, i cant post scores anymore. Virgil do have a way to block it.