High Scores - Editing the truth?

Started by drahazar, December 26, 2011, 03:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drahazar

So I'm a bit confused by the high-scores list currently up. Are all of them accurate? As in, is it possible to fake or cheat a high score?

Some of the times seem ludicrously fast. Really, like, not feasible. Case in point. Bonus world 8, fastest time 1:49.
It currently takes 20 seconds to get 40 packets of energy into a nullifier. 5 for it to blow. thats 25 seconds down.
To get power over to there in the map we have to build 3 beacons, that's 36 packets and another 20 seconds.
We'll need to get into the "ring" of the emitter which will take 1 blaster and a further 20 seconds. Total time 1 minute.
We'll also need all of the minable items, a total of 64 packets and ~ 20 seconds all told i think. total time is now up at 1:20.
If we assume 4 blasters are needed to kill off the remaining creeper we're at 1:40 now.

This is rough maths I'm doing here but the point stands, in that scenario I've assumed that I'm building units continously, I haven't built ANY reactors, or any phantom coils. I've not accounted for time taken to fly anywhere (significant under the time spans) or the time taken to actually kill creeper.

How is this time possible???

I understand that few people will want to reveal their secret if they have some excellent tactics regarding the game, but by my maths it physically takes longer than this just to built the bare minimum of necessary units.

Are all the scores posted "real" scores or is there a way to cheat the system??

Drahazar

Grauniad

There always are some ways to hack a game and we know that some posted scores are fake.

However, some of the players here are phenomenal and have posted stunning legit scores that us mortals find it hard to replicate.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Kithros

Most of the times that are up are legit scores - not all, but most. The bonus 8 times are legitimate times (or at the very least possible times even if they aren't legit - because of that I'll assume they are legit) - there are some ridiculously fast ways to beat some maps - in this instance, it helps to fly the LS into the creeper to be able to nullify both the emitter and gateway pretty early on - creeper makers are also very good on this map.

EDIT: A lot of your math is off, because for instance, you do not need to build any beacons because the LS can move, and some of the tasks you listed can be multitasked.

J

I can post a fake score without hacking the game. I will not post it in this topic since everyone can read this.

thepenguin

I know that #1 - 1:49.5 is a legit time (it is mine)
We have become the creeper...

drahazar

I will rescind the assumption that the #1 score is a fake on bonus 8. Well played! But also I'm glad I got my answer at least SOME of the scores are faked.

Ebon Heart

Some people are just ungodly good at this game. Look at the impossible code maps thread, and see some of the screenshots Kithros has posted... then decide what is and is not possible.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

Pigster

I am not great at this game, but I've worked hard to be the second fastest player on Bonus Map 10.

I cannot conceive of how Emperium has got such a fast time, though.

There must be something I've not thought of.

>:(

Kithros

Quote from: Pigster on January 26, 2012, 04:57:37 PM
I am not great at this game, but I've worked hard to be the second fastest player on Bonus Map 10.

Emperium is a known hacker pretty much - he has an impossibly low time on day 2 (and probably posted a hacked time of day 2 under my name also - someone certainly did since that isn't my time, my actual time is 51.7 seconds), bonus mission 8 among some other maps. Don't take any of Emperium's times seriously.

If anyone is curious about the math, I can actually prove that day 2 is 100% definitely impossible to beat in 25 seconds - a reactor takes more than 30 seconds to build, so building more reactors can't help. In the absolute best case scenario you would need at least 26 packets for a blaster (25 + 1 ammo packet) - completely unreasonable to clear all the creeper with only 1 ammo packet, but nonetheless - 6 packets for digging, and 50 for a nullifier which totals to 82 packets. You start with 20 energy, and can generate 2.5 energy per second at the beginning, which totals to only 78 packets in 23 seconds (takes 2 seconds for the game to end even after all creeper is cleared. There are many other issues that would make the time take much longer than this such as packet travel time, the fact that 2 blasters are necessary for an optimal time, building times etc. and needing much more than just 1 ammo packet - suffice to say that this time is 100% definitely impossible.

Emperium

Quote from: Kithros on January 26, 2012, 07:27:50 PM

Emperium is a known hacker pretty much - he has an impossibly low time on day 2 (and probably posted a hacked time of day 2 under my name also - someone certainly did since that isn't my time, my actual time is 51.7 seconds), bonus mission 8 among some other maps. Don't take any of Emperium's times seriously.

It's true.

In fact, is very easy to hack this game ... the easier game i ever hacked. And isnt just me, there other times that are impossible.
The only maps that i could not hack was day 1 and day 20...

Michionlion

Quote from: Emperium on January 26, 2012, 09:04:49 PM

It's true.

In fact, is very easy to hack this game ... the easier game i ever hacked. And isnt just me, there other times that are impossible.

and that is because they are hard-coded, probably.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Kithros

Quote from: Emperium on January 26, 2012, 09:04:49 PM

It's true.

There are probably more times that aren't hacked than you think - while I'm sure that some of them are, the majority of times are in fact possible times even if they aren't legitimate (all of my times except the one you posted under my name on day 2 are legitimate times - and most of them have a lot of room for improvement).

Lord_Farin

Quote from: Kithros on January 27, 2012, 09:09:17 AM
There are probably more times that aren't hacked than you think - while I'm sure that some of them are, the majority of times are in fact possible times even if they aren't legitimate (all of my times except the one you posted under my name on day 2 are legitimate times - and most of them have a lot of room for improvement).
That is, of course, theoretical improvement. It could mostly be attained only if you or somebody more even proficient than you (I don't know anyone) cared to take the time to play the map closer to frame-by-boring-frame perfection.
Behold, Nexus! Looketh skywards, for thy obliteration thence nighs, my foul enemy!

Emperium

Except me, I only know one person who posted a fake score. This person is the one who posted in Day 2 with the name Hmmm. Probaly, he dont play anymore...

Also, "J" said that know how to post an edit time. Actually, i dont know how to do it. In my case, i know how to hack the velocity and rate of fire of the blaster. That why my times arent super impossible and i cant improve my times in day 1 and day 20. In next update Virgil, change the protection of the blaster.

Since im telling you this, you can ask Virgil to remove my times from the highscores. And you dont have to be concerned since i will stop to play this game soon. I will only wait to play Ebon's triology maps.

Kithros

Quote from: Lord_Farin on January 27, 2012, 10:35:58 AM
That is, of course, theoretical improvement. It could mostly be attained only if you or somebody more even proficient than you (I don't know anyone) cared to take the time to play the map closer to frame-by-boring-frame perfection.

Well, yes, of course, when I mean possible I really mean things that physically can be done, not necessarily things that people will realistically do - that said, most of my times don't have overly meticulous timing except for day 1, 2 (the 51.7 second time), 18 and 19, getting a much better time on those maps would be extremely difficult (without hacking).

On the note of day 19 I may have unintentionally used a bug involving bunkers when I put up that score - as for how much it influenced the score I have no clue, but it is slightly illegitimate albeit unintentionally - I don't think it should have too much of an effect on what my time should have been, but still.