Custom Map: Nice Job 20: The Snake Charmer

Started by AutoPost, June 22, 2010, 11:45:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: Nice Job 20: The Snake Charmer

Author: UpperKEES

Desc:
Probably between 'Hard' and 'Expert Only', but definitely harder than my other hard rated maps. All emitters can be capped, only the snake eyes will free themselves after a while. Do you dare to go in between or rather play it save and go around?

UpperKEES

Title:
Nice Job 20: The Snake Charmer
Difficulty:
Expert Only
Creeper type:
Land only
Remarks:
Probably between 'Hard' and 'Expert Only', but definitely harder than my other hard rated maps. All emitters can be capped, only the snake eyes will free themselves after a while. Do you dare to go in between or rather play it safe and go around?

Description:
Because you needed even more excitement than you experienced during your previous jobs, you applied for the vacancy of snake charmer.

"Show me what you've got!", says the owner of a Thai snake farm.
"Are you ready to show your skills?"

Before you can answer him he shows you a room with some giant snakes.
When you take your magic flute out of your bag the door is closed behind you.

Two eyes stare at you....

"Sssssshhhhhh!"

Download page:
Nice Job 20: The Snake Charmer
Full size screen shot:
More maps:
Apply here for another job ;)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

snowmaker (JM)

I enjoyed the map. You definitely need to stay away from the middle.

jlansink

damn. i thought i was pretty good at this but this maps is kicking my butt. do you go after the mortars quickly or wait?

snowmaker (JM)

Quote from: jlansink on June 22, 2010, 04:16:21 PM
damn. i thought i was pretty good at this but this maps is kicking my butt. do you go after the mortars quickly or wait?

Blasters are enough to take and hold the bottom three mounds. Don't advance to quickly without energy. I held the initial mound with four blasters until I had enough energy.

Hint: I turned on/off the top two blasters so that I could build faster.

UpperKEES

Quote from: snowmaker (JM) on June 22, 2010, 03:59:12 PM
I enjoyed the map. You definitely need to stay away from the middle.

Thanks JM.

Spoiler
I would indeed stay away from the middle until you have the drones to clear the path.
[close]

Quote from: jlansink on June 22, 2010, 04:16:21 PM

Spoiler

I wouldn't go for the mortars or drones before you cap the bottom emitters first, because you wouldn't be able to hold your position.
[close]

Quote from: snowmaker (JM) on June 22, 2010, 05:09:37 PM
Blasters are enough to take and hold the bottom three mounds. Don't advance to quickly without energy. I held the initial mound with four blasters until I had enough energy.

Hint: I turned on/off the top two blasters so that I could build faster.

Spoiler
Indeed. Just conquer terrain step by step and build more energy at every free spot. Once you capped one emitter you'll have enough space for a working economy.
[close]

Spoiler
You should be able to build 4 collectors and 11 reactors before you need to defend yourself. Make sure you have enough space left to build these blasters.
[close]

NNR_Alex

*looks at his score* um yeah....I enjoy maps like this but it takes me a while to finish them, i know a few things i'd do differently if i try for a better score, like getting the drones and using them more, i hate them usually but if i got a little farm of those guys running to bomb all the uncapped emitters, i could get blasters and collectors in pretty fast.

Fisherck

Definitely a map that tested my ability to both multitask and defend while building energy, often at the same time. By the time I had only two totems left on the other side of the map, I had plenty of blasters and a few drones and had most of them attack in a massive assult. It almost failed. I lost two of the four relays I was building, and barely held on to the other two, because of the lag from space by then. That was stressful. But I held the ground, and it worked. Wooooooo...
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

mthw2vc

Your link to the download page goes to The Paleontologist... You might want to fix that.

Fisherck

Thanks. I (obviously) didn't know it was doing that. I only just found out how to do that, thanks to SPIFFEN. I am still working out the kinks, but I think I got it fixed. When I clicked on it though, it did not take me anywhere because it was not complete (I ran out of room and did not realise it).
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps

Blaze

Quote from: Fisherck on June 22, 2010, 11:46:59 PM
Thanks. I (obviously) didn't know it was doing that. I only just found out how to do that, thanks to SPIFFEN. I am still working out the kinks, but I think I got it fixed. When I clicked on it though, it did not take me anywhere because it was not complete (I ran out of room and did not realise it).

Wrong map much?

UpperKEES

Quote from: NNR_Alex on June 22, 2010, 10:36:46 PM
*looks at his score* um yeah....I enjoy maps like this but it takes me a while to finish them, i know a few things i'd do differently if i try for a better score, like getting the drones and using them more, i hate them usually but if i got a little farm of those guys running to bomb all the uncapped emitters, i could get blasters and collectors in pretty fast.

Spoiler
Yeah, once you get to them the drones are probably more useful than the mortars. I built 4 of them as support for my blasters. I would also do it a bit differently next time (I should have paused more often). I might try to get this one under the 20 minutes.
[close]

Quote from: Fisherck on June 22, 2010, 10:56:22 PM
Definitely a map that tested my ability to both multitask and defend while building energy, often at the same time. By the time I had only two totems left on the other side of the map, I had plenty of blasters and a few drones and had most of them attack in a massive assult. It almost failed. I lost two of the four relays I was building, and barely held on to the other two, because of the lag from space by then. That was stressful. But I held the ground, and it worked. Wooooooo...

During testing I had my complete network collapse once, after one of the blasters used to cap the snake eyes blew up. I was 1 collector away from the last totems at that time.... :P

Pretty close times by the way!

Quote from: mthw2vc on June 22, 2010, 11:08:06 PM
Your link to the download page goes to The Paleontologist... You might want to fix that.

Thanks! Fixed.

Quote from: Blaze on June 23, 2010, 12:59:28 AM

Wrong map much?

I guess so....

Fisherck

Quote from: mthw2vc on June 22, 2010, 11:08:06 PM

Thanks! Fixed.

Quote from: Blaze on June 23, 2010, 12:59:28 AM

Wrong map much?

I guess so....
[/quote]

Uhm... I am starting to think that was not for me. :P Well, it still helped, so oh well.
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps

snowmaker (JM)

Faster times are definitely possible after making two mistakes that cost me 1-2 minutes with my current strategy.

UpperKEES

Nice job JM! :) Glad you took this map out of the 20-30 minute range. 8)

I'll retry myself in a couple of days, but I don't have the time right now.

NB: changing your name to "snowmaker (JM)" unfortunately creates a new player in the Nice Jobs high score table, so these scores don't add up to your JM total.