Too easy: do you agree?

Started by Clean0nion, October 07, 2013, 06:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clean0nion

How to win: get a line of shields and dump a nullifier at the end.

Does anyone else agree that this is too easy?

(This is one of my Noob posts, from when I was more Noob than I am now. Don't judge me by this post.
Well, you can. It's not like I can stop you.
Actually, yes, do judge me! Then you can see that I've improved. A bit.)

Michionlion

Which map?  Where?  Is this always possible?  Is it always the fastest way?  Is it always the most fun?
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Clean0nion

Quote from: Michionlion on October 07, 2013, 06:46:41 PM
Which map?  Where?  Is this always possible?  Is it always the fastest way?  Is it always the most fun?
All maps. All maps. Probably. Usually. Of course not.

Michionlion

Quote from: Clean0nion on October 07, 2013, 06:49:21 PM

Shields are not always strong enough to do this, and you usually don't have the energy to do something like this before you start to be encroached on by the Creeper.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

teknotiss

yeah ok  ::), wait til you see some of the tormented sector maps, and some of the player created maps (alpha sector maps by the beta testers for now, general user maps to come) then tell us shields are enough.
here, try beating this one, S200_101 Jovencoting in the tormented zone! if you do you are a CW3 deity :D
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Michionlion

Or maybe try to use that strategy on Waternaris in G's Alpha Sector
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Katra

That strategy does work much better when you have a few mortars or a bertha or three for fire support. ;)
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

Cavemaniac

Quote from: Clean0nion on October 07, 2013, 06:44:00 PM

Shields are totally ineffective against digitalis - wait 'til you end up knee deep in an ocean of digi!
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Grauniad

Quote from: Clean0nion on October 07, 2013, 06:44:00 PM

Yes, if true, it would be too easy. But therein lies the rub. It is not feasible as a strategy. Shields consume energy like crazy, is not effective against dense creeper and is not, as has been pointed out, effective against digitalis and assorted other enemies, such as runners and CRPL-crafted enemies.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

4xC

Exactly!

Why do you, general public, think so many emitters in Tormented Space have large digitalis areas? ;D

Like the KC community would really let you slide on that.  :D
C,C,C,C

koker93

In CW1 and 2 the story missions were a lot of fun the first time through as a new player.  I feel the same way about CW3.  The story maps are not designed for an advanced player (at least they don't seem to be to me)  The real genius of the games (all 3) are the community maps.

As everyone else here has said play alpha sector maps.  They are (sometimes) a LOT more challenging.  And very few of them can be beaten with shields.

Fisherck

I would have to disagree, the vast majority of the time :) There is only one map in the Story series where I believe that this is the most effective strategy.

Anyways, your tactic has flaws on island maps, like Farbor, where you are forced to clear a space before you can start a "shield line".
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

Katra

I was able to use shields to good effect on at least two of the story maps; though not simply 'throw down a line of shields.' More like a wall I could shift forward as mortars/berthas killed the creeper.
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

pawel345

I agree that shields are a powerful weapon, and my usual tactic for remote assault is fly a shield or two with about 2~3 PC and a mortar to target area together with guppies to power it all and a Bertha shot at the moment they land. This proves an effective strategy often. BUT the amount of preparation needed to do that is so big that often it would be easier to just attack strait. And shield is one of the most expensive weapons of CW3 costing 75 so it's appropriate to be useful else nobody would build it. And shields do not kill creeper just push it back, so on maps with large amounts of creeper the most they can do is shield your units form the creeper while mortars kill the condensed creeper just outside and PC keep digitalis at bay :P

4xC

Let's just say the best strategies call for the best micro-skills.

Space to include enough macro-acceptability is another matter altogether mind you.
C,C,C,C