Custom Map #144: Whips of Fire

Started by AutoPost, September 03, 2011, 05:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #144: Whips of Fire

Author: Kai

Desc:
The Red Dwarf rifted to a highly volcanic world. Revamped my first map a bit. Playing around with fields, graphics and such. Hoping it provides a bit more of a challenge.

burguertime

shock and awe. and burn too.

awesome map kudos and thanks for the fun.

Wiped 10 times already damned creeper shots

P.S: 30 wipes. I really do not understand why the creeper barrier breaks on sides.
Don't make a slog just because. Be like Master Mapmaker SPIFFEN:
Quote from: themaskedcrusader on October 05, 2010, 05:09:33 PM
(...)Difficulty is subjective. (...)
SPIFFEN chooses to rate each map as trivial because they believe that the difficulty of the map depends on the capability of the player.
BAD RATING: MEASUREMENT OF MAP HARDNESS.
Quote from: DumbCreeperGamer"Ugh, me no finish map, map too hard, ME RATE ONE.
oOga OoGa to you too.

burguertime

Ok , wipe #20. Definitely need a clue.
SPIFFEN chooses to rate each map as trivial because they believe that the difficulty of the map depends on the capability of the player.
oOga OoGa to you too.

Ichikai

What exactly are you having trouble with?

xing

Quote from: burguertime on September 04, 2011, 08:01:14 PM
Ok , wipe #20. Definitely need a clue.

I'm no expert but something that I found helped me

Spoiler
move one of the pre-built anti-creeper makers down to the tec as soon as the came starts and grab the teck .. as soon as you have the conversion bombs staying alive is allot simpler
[close]

burguertime

Quote from: xing on September 06, 2011, 09:24:36 AM
I'm no expert but something that I found helped me

Oh lolz, did the map maker intended it?
oOga OoGa to you too.

Ichikai

Oh damn it.. it was supposed to be slightly harder to get the tech, but oh well.. not much I can do about it now :P

MadMurphy

I just recorded myself playing this map. Was a lot of fun, good job on making this map.

Grauniad

Dang it, I'm pretty sure I beat this map, now I can't manage more than a Mexican stand-off.  :(

Edit:

OK, I must have been mistaken. I beat it, but I would have remembered. I'm not particularly fond (to put it mildly) of emitters with multiple strength and the micro-management required to beat maps like this one.

Edit 2: I think I've figured it out. I must have played the early version with less cowbell.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Kithros

I managed to rush it with 4 creeper makers just charging forward pretty much - I killed the first emitter, then built shields and 6 conversion bombs to convert all the denser creeper, nullify the 2 health emitters and build shields to hold in the creeper from the middle and got a conversion bomb on the really dense creeper before it breaks free - with that anti-creeper I could just nullify everything without needing any more weapons.

Grauniad

Quote from: Kithros on September 12, 2011, 10:16:40 AM
I managed to rush it with 4 creeper makers just charging forward pretty much - I killed the first emitter, then built shields and 6 conversion bombs to convert all the denser creeper, nullify the 2 health emitters and build shields to hold in the creeper from the middle and got a conversion bomb on the really dense creeper before it breaks free - with that anti-creeper I could just nullify everything without needing any more weapons.

Your time is absolutely stunning. I didn't think it was even possible to build enough nullifiers in the time you posted.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Kithros

The key to it is getting the conversion bombs in there before the creeper breaks free - if you can do that, you won't need to spend any energy maintaining weapons since the anti-creeper can do it all for you, which meant I could put almost all of my energy towards nullifiers.