Main Menu

Linux version

Started by cclloyd9785, August 02, 2011, 07:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

You guys should go moan at Adobe. Virgil is not in a position to help with this. It speaks to the market-/mind-share of Linux after nearly 20 years of development. Great for servers, not so great for consumer desktops.

knucracker

Here are Adobe's reasons:
(From http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/408/kb408084.html )

"Why did Adobe decide to discontinue further support for Adobe AIR for desktop Linux®?

As the market shifts to mobile devices, Adobe is investing in bringing its runtime technologies to new hardware and operating systems. Adobe is increasingly investing in mobile authoring. The recent Creative Suite 5.5 release is focused on enabling customers to deliver their experiences across devices using Adobe's technologies. Adobe has responded to the changing market trends by providing AIR support for a growing number of platforms. These platforms include Android, iOS and BlackBerry Tablet OS, televisions, and set-top boxes. Lifetime AIR for Linux desktop downloads represent less than 0.5% of total AIR desktop downloads, which number over 450 million. Therefore, Adobe has decided to change the distribution model for Linux and direct these resources toward its mobile efforts. Adobe's efforts are focused on supporting operating systems that are most important to its customers, and that demonstrate the greatest opportunity for future growth for its partners and developers. Adobe continues to provide partners the opportunity to license source code through the Open Screen Project. You can download AIR 2.6, the last version to support Linux, at the archive build page.

Adobe no longer supports the full AIR developer SDK for desktop Linux implementations. And, the AIR Debug Launcher (ADL) is no longer supported in the SDK."

jkljkljkljkl

Quote from: Grauniad on August 24, 2011, 01:33:08 PM
Have you tried running under WINE? That would be the first step.

I have now tried.  I downloaded and installed the latest version of Adobe Air (version 2.7.1) and it installed.

After several hours and an immense amount of fiddling and trying variations, I eventually got it to install. The only way it works is to simply blow away .wine, reinstall adobe air then install the 0307 "patch" directly. If it has seen CW2 before, then the patch won't install.

It seems to run, but the kicker is that the "find maps online" feature doesn't work.  :(

knucracker

Out of curiosity, what does the "find maps online" do?

jkljkljkljkl

Quote from: offsides on August 24, 2011, 03:15:13 PM
Base CW2 install ran fine under WINE (technically Crossover 10 Professional).  However, if I try to upgrade to the 307 patch, the AIR updated tells me something is corrupted and the whole thing is borked (and won't even try to run again).  The only way to even get CW2 reinstalled was to manually purge all traces of it and start over...

This is really disappointing, especially since Adobe fully supports AIR for Android, which is just Linux running on a different hardware achitecture...

This worked for me:

erase .wine, destroying everything installed under wine

Install adobe air.

then execute cw2PATCH-0307.air

If you have already installed another version of CW2, then the patch won't install.

jkljkljkljkl

Quote from: Karsten75 on August 24, 2011, 03:28:05 PM
You guys should go moan at Adobe. Virgil is not in a position to help with this. It speaks to the market-/mind-share of Linux after nearly 20 years of development. Great for servers, not so great for consumer desktops.

Well, Adobe won't listen. Virgil will at least find out if Linux users are a significant enough portion of his customers to worry about. If not then bad for us, but OK for Virgil.

jkljkljkljkl

Quote from: virgilw on August 24, 2011, 04:12:47 PM

A large white box appears in the widget area below the buttons. It looks like a widget of some sort has popped up, then failed to execute.

jkljkljkljkl

Also, there are several more bugs (probably wine specific).

CW2 doesn't remember which maps have been played, so the list of maps and times is always empty.

If you have quick-saved a custom map, then restart jumps to the quicksave point.

Grauniad

Quote from: jkljkljkljkl on August 25, 2011, 07:09:29 AM

CW2 doesn't remember which maps have been played, so the list of maps and times is always empty.

If you have quick-saved a custom map, then restart jumps to the quicksave point.

Strange. This was the behavior of Restart at one point in the game development. Are you sure you're running a latest version?
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

jkljkljkljkl

Quote from: Grauniad on August 25, 2011, 09:39:14 AM
Quote from: jkljkljkljkl on August 25, 2011, 07:09:29 AM

Strange. This was the behavior of Restart at one point in the game development. Are you sure you're running a latest version?

Certainly - the custom maps button works. Having investigated it further, it bugs out when there are no games saved in the main slots, and doesn't seem to when some (not investigated fully) games have been saved.

krazykit

Seems a shame that the new update isn't compatible :/. I was looking forward to custom maps.

Grauniad

krazykit

I did, but I can't get the game to install at all. Air gives the utterly useless message "Something went wrong trying to install this application. Please install the latest version of Adober AIR from ... and then try again.", which won't really help anything, as this is a fresh .wine directory and the latest version of AIR.

I'd hate to have to go back to running a VM for creeper world :/

Grauniad

Try getting the actual AIR install from the Adobe site.

Then extract the CW2 .AIR package from the .exe file you download and see if that will install...  Just an idea, not sure it will help any.

krazykit

That's exactly what I did. I get the same error using either the first installer or the patch.

wine airappinstaller.exe /path/to/cw2.air