Custom Map #731: The Fleet - Survive. By: Sorrontis

Started by AutoPost, April 11, 2017, 07:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #731: The Fleet - Survive

Author: Sorrontis
Size: 500x120

Desc:
We've landed in a heavy particulate controlled sector. We have to be very careful, there's danger at every corner. #PRPL #MassiveShips #YouLoseYourShip?It'sGoneFOREVER See Forum for Contest Rules!

Sorrontis

Oh boy oh boy oh boy. Was that fun!

So, I'm having a little contest!

Anyone that beats the map, and wipes out the "Endboss" (it has 1000 eps) should post a screenshot of the remain fleet.
If you beat or match my final fleet count (Mine was 16 - I lost 1 vessel) with a completion time of less than 1 hr, you get to name my next map and any ship for that map! (Communitee guidelines must be followed)

If more than one of you can do it, I'll name the subsequent maps in order of contest submission.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Sorrontis

Also, anyone like the little star animation I made? It twinkles!
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Sorrontis

I can tell already, this one is going to be popular!

GoodMorning

I have ~170 maps to go before I get to it, give me some time.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Sorrontis

Wow, that's impressive. You're keeping up pretty well.

GoodMorning

Quote from: Sorrontis on April 11, 2017, 09:50:41 PM
You're keeping up pretty well.
I've found that (now the post-release glut is over) I gradually fall behind, then play a bunch in a few days. I'm gradually getting closer to the present, but most maps seem forgotten by the time I arrive.

svartmes

map clear: 53:45, "boss" clear: ~57:10, no ships lost.

Ugh....I need a break. I'll comment more later when I've had some coffee :P

Screenshot in attatchment.

Sorrontis

FOXX

Quote from: GoodMorning on April 11, 2017, 10:55:24 PM
....... but most maps seem forgotten by the time I arrive.
And then you 'revive' them when playing and give feedback.
As far as i know you are the only one who plays all maps and give feedback [with PF]. I think thats great!!
I thought of doing also but i just don't have the time to play all and make some maps so i stick with making maps and play occasionally.
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!
Including  CUSTOM MODULE MAPS & SHIPS

GoodMorning

Quote from: FOXX on April 12, 2017, 01:47:53 PM
[...] plays all maps and give feedback [...]

I try to say something only when I have something to say. With that being said, having played every preceding map (in a more or less mediocre way) does give me a sizeable reference pool. Although it may be skewing my more recent opinions - I can't help but improve with practice.

"When I have something to say" comes into play now, so I shall halt use of this thread until I reach the map.

svartmes

So, interesting map mechanics and a challenge for sure. I like the lose ships forever mechanics and it would be interesting to see more maps that uses it. Actually it would have been cool to have had this added to the base game as a "hardcore" setting or something but I'm guessing it might be too late to implement such features at this stage.  The mechanics does require more carefully balanced maps though as random destruction never is much fun. Especially cannons would be hard to balance and/or in this case the superstrong particles.

Twinkling stars were cool, once i noticed them that is...  I was halfway thru the map and had destroyed several of these annoying "invisible" things Before I noticed that they actually were not invicible :P  I never really understood what they did though, make struc?

Boss design was cool but the battle felt pretty underwhelming. A more tactical approach with maybe cannons on the land behind him that you would convert had been more fun for me atleast.

The "contest" was a fun idea and I could not pass up on the challenge even though I'm slowly moving away from this game as it's beginning to feel abit stale after 400+ hours played. I try to play new maps by the designers I like and Sorrontis is one of those who continuesly puts out cool stuff with new ideas. It became a tradeoff as you had to chose between playing safe to not lose ships vs getting a good time and as such my time isn't perticulary impressive.

I find this map hard to rate. All in all I think that each idea and mechanic of the map was great and I liked the challenge but the map as a whole would have been more enjoyable (to me) if there was far fewer ships (I only used 4) and not so much focus on energy (a lot of the time was spent waiting for tanks to fill up).

FOXX

Quote from: GoodMorning on April 12, 2017, 06:45:43 PM
I try to say something only when I have something to say. With that being said, having played every preceding map (in a more or less mediocre way) does give me a sizeable reference pool. Although it may be skewing my more recent opinions - I can't help but improve with practice.

"When I have something to say" comes into play now, so I shall halt use of this thread until I reach the map.
I agree to all of the above.
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!
Including  CUSTOM MODULE MAPS & SHIPS

Sorrontis

Quote from: svartmes on April 13, 2017, 04:41:37 AM
Twinkling stars were cool, once i noticed them that is...  I was halfway thru the map and had destroyed several of these annoying "invisible" things Before I noticed that they actually were not invicible :P  I never really understood what they did though, make struc?

Yep (4 of them), at a random rate, while the other four give you ships.

Boss design was cool but the battle felt pretty underwhelming. A more tactical approach with maybe cannons on the land behind him that you would convert had been more fun for me atleast.
I thought about it but decided not to go for it. I think the fight with the Great Station was more fun.

The "contest" was a fun idea and I could not pass up on the challenge even though I'm slowly moving away from this game as it's beginning to feel abit stale after 400+ hours played. I try to play new maps by the designers I like and Sorrontis is one of those who continuesly puts out cool stuff with new ideas. It became a tradeoff as you had to chose between playing safe to not lose ships vs getting a good time and as such my time isn't perticulary impressive.
Thanks!

I find this map hard to rate. All in all I think that each idea and mechanic of the map was great and I liked the challenge but the map as a whole would have been more enjoyable (to me) if there was far fewer ships (I only used 4) and not so much focus on energy (a lot of the time was spent waiting for tanks to fill up).
It was a proof of concept - so I needed enough ships for everyone :) I agree with the energy issue, but after beating it for the third time, I didn't think about it :D

ChaosMaster130

Personally. I just ignored the "final boss" and settled on beating the map in 24:21  ::)
Just had to figure out the trick  :D
Spamming my Up+B Special since 1999!