Custom Map #731: The Fleet - Survive. By: Sorrontis

Started by AutoPost, April 11, 2017, 07:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorrontis

Quote from: ChaosMaster130 on April 13, 2017, 06:28:45 PM
Personally. I just ignored the "final boss" and settled on beating the map in 24:21  ::)
Just had to figure out the trick  :D

Oh, please share :)
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

ChaosMaster130

Ok I'll try.
Spoiler
A little trick I've figured out that I call the combo collider crash which exploits the fact that ships in motion can overlap each other, I basically synced 4 of the big shielded ships to ram the enemy ship in the middle simultaneously which let me take it out pretty fast.
And then for the end I just used AMP gem range lathes to defeat the progenitor while staying out of range of the missiles.
[close]
Spamming my Up+B Special since 1999!

Sorrontis

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

GoodMorning

I've got to this map - but I'm still working on the final ship. So far all of the firepower I can muster (full fleet, but it won't all fit) has stalled at the missile clouds. I don't have the range to advance, but can hold that position. Time to come back later.

Edit: I finished it - twice. The first time, I found out that if the Progenitor survives the large ship, the mission ends in failure. The second attempt was easier, because I didn't have implied land to work around.

Full fleet, of course. Nice "stars". I initially thought they were the updated form of your ship-killer mines, but realised when trying to trigger them failed. Their footprints did remain unmoved after being lathed, limiting ship placement options.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Johnny Haywire

I enjoy reading about new strategies... thanks for your tip, Chaosmaster!

As for naming maps goes - I know I'm not gonna win any contests anytime soon. Maybe after playing this for a few months... I dunno. Not much time to play these days.

I do love the idea that once you lose a ship it's gone forever. Makes your decisions more crucial. Maybe I'll try this map sometime. December might be cool.  ;)
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

ColonelSandersLite

No casualties, 37ish minutes to kill the boss ship:
Spoiler
[close]

The thing is that I *didn't* find all the ships, so technically I didn't complete the challenge as stated.

I killed that boss ship just a couple of minutes after mission completion.  It's really a pretty easy fight.

Honestly, while I liked the way the ships worked without being able to rebuild casualties, I just didn't really like this map all that much.  Too many cheap shots.  Too little energy.  Very little room to maneuver.  The small twinkling star things are just way too hard to spot.  It's quality work, but just not for me.

Spoiler

Suppress the mk 7s on a flank.
Draw his fire with a few ships.
Move that big ship shown in the screenshot up into there and drive it right through his command section.
Boom!
[close]

GoodMorning

A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

ColonelSandersLite

Yeah still kicking, just been busy.  You know how it goes ;).

Back on topic, I think I found a big bug in this mission.

I was tinkering with this, to try and actually complete the challenge by building all the ships.  I'm pretty positive that I picked up a ship, but didn't want to build it at that moment.  After a little while, I went to build that ship because that was a convenient time, and noticed that it wasn't in the ships panel anymore.  I suspect that if you don't place the ship fairly quickly, you lose the ability to build it...

Sorrontis

Quote from: ColonelSandersLite on July 09, 2017, 08:32:34 AM
Back on topic, I think I found a big bug in this mission.

I was tinkering with this, to try and actually complete the challenge by building all the ships.  I'm pretty positive that I picked up a ship, but didn't want to build it at that moment.  After a little while, I went to build that ship because that was a convenient time, and noticed that it wasn't in the ships panel anymore.  I suspect that if you don't place the ship fairly quickly, you lose the ability to build it...

Not a bug. Not a bug at all. :)

Quote from: ColonelSandersLite on July 09, 2017, 05:53:53 AM
Honestly, while I liked the way the ships worked without being able to rebuild casualties, I just didn't really like this map all that much.  Too many cheap shots.  Too little energy.  Very little room to maneuver.  The small twinkling star things are just way too hard to spot.  It's quality work, but just not for me.

Criticism noted :)

hbarudi

trying this map, but I can't lathe any emitters under my ships and they destroyed me, any ideas?
Why do you put enemy particles on the ships in the beginning of the maps and my lathes just don't work on anything.

Sorrontis

Quote from: hbarudi on September 29, 2017, 12:15:02 AM
trying this map, but I can't lathe any emitters under my ships and they destroyed me, any ideas?
Why do you put enemy particles on the ships in the beginning of the maps and my lathes just don't work on anything.

hello hbarudi,

The map is one with a nasty start. The reason why? Because I'm Sorrontis and I like to make people hate me :P But seriously, its for a nice & different challenge.

As for being unable to lathe the emitters. I don't think that's normal. It is an old map, so I'll have to look at it.

Sorrontis

THey are all flip emitters. If you can't lathe them, there's something wrong with your game.

Johnny Haywire

Well, almost a year later and I decided to try this one. Pretty intense.

As others have stated about little power, cramped maneuvering space, stuff like that... I kinda agree, but I can deal with it.

Didn't notice the twinkling star thing. I picked up 2 bonus ships but didn't use them.

You're always coming up with clever ways to make people pull out their hair or go do something that will get you noticed on the local news. And that's definitely something that's worth more than just an average french fry. It's like a backwards egg!

Thanks for the map!  ;D
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

CyberDyneSystems

I've been coming back to the maps I never could beat.. and this one so far is the only one that remains that way. It is so frustrating, I feel like i've tried everything, throttling back power demands on all the ships at the beginning, just praying to get enough power just to lathe the flip emitters so I can actually play this out, but I still can;t beat that first few minutes, and just lose all my ships.  Not sure how anyone got past those flip emitters.

Sorrontis

I, honestly don't remember how to beat this own. Need a mix of aggressiveness and wearyness ... buts that's usual with me.