Custom Map #29: MD 2: Nowhere

Started by AutoPost, August 19, 2011, 10:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #29: MD 2: Nowhere

Author: Fisherck

Desc:
Denied the ability to retake the test, the Counsel sends you to the middle of nowhere, for seemingly no reason. But you soon find out their true intentions...

Sqaz

Really liked this map, guess I'll be playing the whole series.

Fisherck

Thanks! I have been thinking of this series for many months now. But gameplay wise, I want it to be very diverse. Every map will hopefully be very different. 8)

Dax Joven first saw decayable terrain off to the side, with no threat to him. You first see it above you. Oh yeah... ;)
The key of this map is to get moving straight away. You will need to build up protection. Of what is up to you.
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

Ranakastrasz

I was confused when I got the white crystal, because I stayed at the top, built 3 reactors, and used 2 blasters and a repulser to take out the top two emitters, and worked my way down. It was quite easy as a result, and I the message when you get the white crystal does not match the situation if you *take the high ground*. I then tried doing it the *right* way, and I have no idea how you are able to get the energy to build 2-3 makers, and get the remnants, before the creeper comes crashing down. For the first mission, I also was totally unable to stop the flow of creeper, even with several layers of shielding, and quite a few mortars. Only other thing I can think of, Is maybe I can dig in on the sides.

Sqaz

Quote from: Ranakastrasz on August 19, 2011, 02:22:55 PM
I was confused when I got the white crystal, because I stayed at the top, built 3 reactors, and used 2 blasters and a repulser to take out the top two emitters, and worked my way down. It was quite easy as a result, and I the message when you get the white crystal does not match the situation if you *take the high ground*. I then tried doing it the *right* way, and I have no idea how you are able to get the energy to build 2-3 makers, and get the remnants, before the creeper comes crashing down. For the first mission, I also was totally unable to stop the flow of creeper, even with several layers of shielding, and quite a few mortars. Only other thing I can think of, Is maybe I can dig in on the sides.

When using the "right" way, you first grab the remnant and then built some makers at the top, after which you easily take out the emitters since you have enough Ore and Makers don't use energy.

Fisherck

Quote from: Sqaz on August 19, 2011, 04:10:34 PM
When using the "right" way, you first grab the remnant and then built some makers at the top, after which you easily take out the emitters since you have enough Ore and Makers don't use energy.

Oh, that's funny! This is what happens when you get to used to a map your making. You start thinking inside the box. :) Unfortunately I had thought the lure of all those gems (and ore) would make you move down, but you have just enough time to grab the silver gem and run back up. Heres how I did it...
Spoiler

[close]

And the lesson here. Never assume anything. And to think I beat impossible maps.... ;)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps

Ranakastrasz

Managed to beat the first mission *properly* now, I dug in on the right side, after plugging the initial hole with 4 shields, and the hole I made for the ship with about 8 shields. I managed to build up behind that, and managed to get out a maker in time to prevent the last 2 shields from disinigrating, and set up a few blasters when I had the energy. I found it harded at the start than the *plunge into the creeper and take the *high ground* works fine.

For second, I see how you are intended to do that, I think I may be able to purely grab the items and go to the top, which would have probably worked, although I don't know if it would make it faster significantly.

Fisherck

Quote from: Ranakastrasz on August 19, 2011, 05:17:27 PM
Managed to beat the first mission *properly* now, I dug in on the right side, after plugging the initial hole with 4 shields, and the hole I made for the ship with about 8 shields. I managed to build up behind that, and managed to get out a maker in time to prevent the last 2 shields from disinigrating, and set up a few blasters when I had the energy. I found it harded at the start than the *plunge into the creeper and take the *high ground* works fine.

For second, I see how you are intended to do that, I think I may be able to purely grab the items and go to the top, which would have probably worked, although I don't know if it would make it faster significantly.

I took away shields on this map... Do you mean MD 1? :)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps

Ranakastrasz

Quote from: Fisherck on August 19, 2011, 05:25:51 PM
Quote from: Ranakastrasz on August 19, 2011, 05:17:27 PM

I took away shields on this map... Do you mean MD 1? :)
"Managed to beat the first mission"
Yes, I probably ought to post my comments on the series in their specific comment section, but if it is an issue/comment, then I am unsure where to put it then.

Katra

I was confused when I got the white crystal, because I stayed at the top, built 3 reactors, and used 2 blasters and a repulser to take out the top two emitters, and worked my way down.

I did the same, except I didn't add the repulsor until the third pair of emitters. (Once three blasters couldn't keep the creeper off my nullifier.) One of the perils of making in game messages assuming a particular strategy - someone who doesn't follow the same plan may get messages out of order/out of context.
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

Fisherck

Quote from: Katra on August 22, 2011, 10:18:29 AM
I did the same, except I didn't add the repulsor until the third pair of emitters. (Once three blasters couldn't keep the creeper off my nullifier.) One of the perils of making in game messages assuming a particular strategy - someone who doesn't follow the same plan may get messages out of order/out of context.
Simply put, I learned my lesson... ;)

(I hope)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps

Ranakastrasz

This is why we want conditional Messages :D