Custom Map #729: Around the Block. By: Sorrontis

Started by AutoPost, April 09, 2017, 02:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #729: Around the Block

Author: Sorrontis
Size: 159x161

Desc:
Well, not really a round the block, but close enough. Also, act quickly, things are going to get dicey quickly (maybe). #PRPL

Sorrontis

That was fun.... count the ships!
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

FOXX

ShipSlotMagic from Sorrontis :)
Very Interesting.
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!
Including  CUSTOM MODULE MAPS & SHIPS

ChaosMaster130

Well that was... something.  :o
But hey I beat it!
Spamming my Up+B Special since 1999!

Sorrontis

That's the goal... to make my maps "something" ... *grumble fumble mumble*
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

GoodMorning

Nice.

I admit that I spent some time trying to assemble my Destroyers into a Destroyer pattern, but only having two dozen made it hard. Still, it gives me an idea some scenery in that ship factory (still sitting as a concept).

Some ships look nicer when in storage configurations than others.

Edit: It did break the first time, as a Cruiser had a plan broken/malformed at some point. It built without modules, and when it was destroyed (oh well, still good as a ram!), it broke the main loop. Forgot to get the log, though. Restarted, didn't have the same problem.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Sorrontis

Johnny Haywire

Well, this map WAS something. Until it became nothing. Then it was anything but something.

Not knowing what evil horrors awaited me, I virtually filled the lower portion with ships. Not sure how many total, but 100 wouldn't be too far off. Then the game locked up. It was still "running" in a way. My energy storage went up over 4,000 which normally would be really cool, but nothing would move. When I self-destructed my base the energy storage stopped, but stuff was still happening. I just couldn't see it.

So maybe if you hit 100+ ships there's some sort of game mechanic that forces the game to go haywire. Wait, haywire? Hey that's ME! Go me!  :P
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

GoodMorning

JH, there's an option to specify image width: [ img width=1234 ] (with spaces inserted here mext to the brackets, to stop SMF interpreting this as me trying to put in an image).

That said, your screenshot was familiar. Specifically, look at that Cruiser near the pair of Hammers on the border. Blank hull was the symptom I got before it broke for me (in my case, the ship had to die to trigger it).

I don't know what's happening, but if you have a save from shortly before, then V might be interested.

Also, that kind of ship count is positively conservative next to what I ended with. So I don't think it's that.

Sorrontis

Johnny Haywire

QuoteI don't know what's happening, but if you have a save from shortly before, then V might be interested.

Oh yeah, another weird note. If I clicked on that not-quite-finished cruiser the game just locked up. I could get it to resume by clicking on an item from the build screen, but after that I could not save the game. I was able to keep playing until I launched the attack but I couldn't save it. Go figure.

Sorrontis

Thinking about this. I never had this problem. Maybe it has something to do with your system?

I use Win7 - 64 bit. 8 gb ram. How do your systems rank?

Johnny Haywire

I use Win 7 64-bit too, with 8g RAM. It's not a new comp - Intel Core 2 extreme Q6850 @ 3.0 Ghz.

I also have Murphy's Law 1.1 running in the background. I'd love to be able to remove this program from my computer but it's interfaced itself with the rest of my life so I just put up with it.  :P

GoodMorning

Well, it seems from the wiki source snippets that the ship CM is a unit which is bound to the ship. So perhaps the freeze is caused by part of the backend looking for the CM when the ship plan parse has failed silently.