Custom Map #2547: Trigger v1.00

Started by AutoPost, October 18, 2013, 05:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #2547: Trigger v1.00

Author: Arcady

Desc:
Puzzle map. Use various units and rules to trigger other units and rules to save the captives.

DanHall4Freedom

Need hints. Only was able to release the general. I mean Major C.

Arcady

Can you be more specific about what exactly you're having trouble with?

BCC

I think what DH4F is referring to is the triggers are semi-random - there's not a logical progression of where creeper suddenly appears or not.  It also takes a bit of time to see if the next random step causes failure or not.  The combination means it's not so much a logic puzzle as a grind punctuated with save/restores.

Since there is only 1 way to win (I assume, since the options are so limited) giving hints to what you were aiming for would help - otherwise the player either has to figure out exactly what you were thinking or grind through the map with trial and error.

Just my 2c.

DBN

Brilliant map.

Got 1 problem with clearing the 2000M square in right of the diamond farm. In the end i just removed it with makers, but that took a very long time. Suppose it could have been done faster.

Arcady

Quote from: BCC on October 19, 2013, 03:32:31 PM
I think what DH4F is referring to is the triggers are semi-random - there's not a logical progression of where creeper suddenly appears or not.  It also takes a bit of time to see if the next random step causes failure or not.  The combination means it's not so much a logic puzzle as a grind punctuated with save/restores.

Since there is only 1 way to win (I assume, since the options are so limited) giving hints to what you were aiming for would help - otherwise the player either has to figure out exactly what you were thinking or grind through the map with trial and error.

Just my 2c.

I more than appreciate the clearly written feedback. I can only see 3 places where it may not be obvious with how exactly to proceed, and all 3 of these are intentional.

The first area is the 5x5 area of red dots that go away and come back. No reason to save or reload here, just figure out the pattern.

The second is the red dot which prevents you from saving Major Catastrophe in the lower right corner. This is ambiguous as well, but that's to lend the hand with the third place where it may not be so obvious.

The third is the area bottom center with a path an enemy digger path leading to the left (and a capsule) and a Player digger path leading to the right. This is 100% intentional and I believe that if you look at this area you can get the idea without too much difficulty. I can see making a mistake here and having to reload, but again, that was intentional.

Any other area which may cause the player to reload are clearly obvious if you look and can be gotten around without too much difficulty.

If there's something I've missed or you can give me a good example, I'd appreciate it. Being the maker of the map certainly could make me prone to missing something that may be obvious to someone seeing it without all of the inside knowledge.

Arcady

Quote from: DBN on October 19, 2013, 04:40:41 PM
Brilliant map.

Got 1 problem with clearing the 2000M square in right of the diamond farm. In the end i just removed it with makers, but that took a very long time. Suppose it could have been done faster.

Thanks.

In truth, you're not supposed to actually be able to get those crystals... I did make a mistake there and yes I know that it is possible. I'm currently working on fixing that and a couple of other exploits that I had missed near the end.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that everyone was using at least one of them and completely circumventing the 5x5 box of red dots...

darkniko

im having problems with the part that continues after pressing Start Mission .. any hints ?

Arcady

Quote from: darkniko on October 19, 2013, 07:03:28 PM
im having problems with the part that continues after pressing Start Mission .. any hints ?

That's not a very clear statement. Are you referring to something in this area?

DanHall4Freedom

I got Capt. Crunch! I got Capt. Crunch! I got Capt. Crunch! ... ... ... and finally some salt and butter on Colonel what's his name.

PMouser

huh, i just cant figure out this first part? please help thanks
Hi, I am a Bible believing christian.
I am a Youngevity distributor.

Arcady

Quote from: DanHall4Freedom on October 20, 2013, 12:04:56 AM
I got Capt. Crunch! I got Capt. Crunch! I got Capt. Crunch! ... ... ... and finally some salt and butter on Colonel what's his name.

Congratulations! And that would be Colonel Corn.

Arcady

Quote from: PMouser on October 20, 2013, 02:35:41 AM
huh, i just cant figure out this first part? please help thanks

Can you please be more specific?

BCC

First, the map is well built, and trying to figure out what to do in the editor shows the impressive amount of time you put into the construction.

I'm stuck with both the lower middle area and the far left capsule without a clue to move forward.

The far left I actually dropped the blocking green dot down to 5k and then realized it wouldn't go any lower after quite a bit of time.  Building a rift on top of that didn't work, so was hoping some trigger somewhere would possible change it, then focused on the center capsule.

In the lower middle area the creeper wave back&forth has so far been unstoppable and I am not sure if I'm approaching it incorrectly, have the wrong prep done, or it's timing.  A hint to which direction to attack the middle capsule (clear out the room with green dots with an insane amount of vacuming? Create an AC backlog to the right to unleash right after the capsule is cleared somehow?)  Without that I am unlikely to sink the time to test each one.

Even to know if I have to hit them in a certain order would remove a lot of the feeling that I'm wasting time trying to figure out the map through trial and error.

Arcady

Quote from: BCC on October 20, 2013, 09:56:35 PM
I'm stuck with both the lower middle area and the far left capsule without a clue to move forward.

The far left I actually dropped the blocking green dot down to 5k and then realized it wouldn't go any lower after quite a bit of time.  Building a rift on top of that didn't work, so was hoping some trigger somewhere would possible change it, then focused on the center capsule.

In the lower middle area the creeper wave back&forth has so far been unstoppable and I am not sure if I'm approaching it incorrectly, have the wrong prep done, or it's timing.  A hint to which direction to attack the middle capsule (clear out the room with green dots with an insane amount of vacuming? Create an AC backlog to the right to unleash right after the capsule is cleared somehow?)  Without that I am unlikely to sink the time to test each one.

Even to know if I have to hit them in a certain order would remove a lot of the feeling that I'm wasting time trying to figure out the map through trial and error.

I'll start with the room full of green dots.

Spoiler

In order to progress through this room, you will need to get several enemy dig packets through to take out the solid terrain.

Spoiler
Take a closer look at the amount of anti-creeper in each dot and reflect on how the very first enemy dig packet of the mission was allowed to do its job.
[close]

Spoiler
When the anti-creeper dots are changed to creeper they will allow enemy dig packets through, but not your packets. You will need to prepare for this.

Spoiler
[close]
[close]
[close]

Concerning the capsule on the left side:

Spoiler

Let the enemy dig packets open the left-side passage. You can safely ignore the normal terrain passage going to the right as you will only be able to open one.
[close]

Spoiler
Once the passage to the left has been opened by enemy dig packets, the creeper dot blocking your access to the far right capsule will disappear and you will be able to use the rifts in each corner to obtain the last two capsules.
[close]

Let me know if this is still unclear. Feel free email me a screenshot of your game if you would like me to give you more specific advice.