Main Menu

Rating a map

Started by Ebon Heart, March 17, 2011, 02:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ebon Heart

The ratings of 1 are what bug me the most. Hence I think it'd be a good idea to only allow people who have beaten the maps to post a rating. So that newbs that can't beat the map the first try won't just rate the map as 1 and move onto an easier map. That, and it will deter jerks who go across the custom maps screen and give allthe recent maps a rating on 1 because they think it's funny
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

UpperKEES

Just forget about it, nobody looks at the ratings. Of course it's nice to have a good rating, but anyone playing maps knows you should look at the comments, so that's what frequent players do. Being a map maker you should also look at these.

Apart from that I think it should also be possible to rate a map that was too boring or annoying to beat. I wouldn't be surprised if the ratings disappear completely for CW 2 maps as they don't have much value.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Kamron3

Quote from: UpperKEES on March 17, 2011, 10:09:38 PM
Just forget about it, nobody looks at the ratings. Of course it's nice to have a good rating, but anyone playing maps knows you should look at the comments, so that's what frequent players do. Being a map maker you should also look at these.

Apart from that I think it should also be possible to rate a map that was too boring or annoying to beat. I wouldn't be surprised if the ratings disappear completely for CW 2 maps as they don't have much value.

If you look at the number of comments on the old system vs. the number of comments on the new system; there are not as many posters. I believe allowing people to comment off-forum is much simpler.

It's just simpler if we have two separate systems and an easier-to-use Custom Maps section.

UpperKEES

To avoid abuse you'd still need an account, so that wouldn't matter. The need for 2 accounts would even be a nuisance. I believe still quite some people leave comments, but you can't compare with Dec. 2009 - Jun. 2010 when CW1 was most popular. I've never heard anyone complain about the current Custom Maps section anyway.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Kamron3

Quote from: UpperKEES on March 18, 2011, 01:54:29 AM
To avoid abuse you'd still need an account, so that wouldn't matter. The need for 2 accounts would even be a nuisance. I believe still quite some people leave comments, but you can't compare with Dec. 2009 - Jun. 2010 when CW1 was most popular. I've never heard anyone complain about the current Custom Maps section anyway.

I'm not complaining; I'm just voicing my opinion that it should change. It really needs an overhaul.

Grauniad

Quote from: Ebon_Heart on March 17, 2011, 02:19:22 PM
I think that cw needs a differnt map rating system, anyone agree? There are too many people who just go around and give every map they see a 1. it's so annoying! Maybe you can only rate a map after you've beaten it?

If one can only rate a map after one has beaten the map, don't you think that may in itself skew the map rating to only those players who can complete the map? Rating a map may legitimately express some opinion about the time/effort or complexity of completing a map - such as the ultra-long maps in this search.

As a map maker one should probably grow a thick skin - analogous to the random insults leveraged at game makers at gaming forums. Even the best games get some negative comments.

A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Ebon Heart

true... even cw has been slammed a few times. (I have no clue how you could hate this game) It's just too bad there's no way to make it so that they need to try the map before rating... it'd be nearly impossible to control.

Destroyer333

I think, they should get rid of the rating system of stars, and have only comments. Maybe out of twenty. That way, maybe people could be like 'level movers' so if a level got 5 comments rated 18+/20 that level would be moved to the best section. 4 rates of 15+/20 and it would move to the good section. 3 rates of 14-/20 and it would move to the unapproved. And 3 rates of 7-/20 it would be moved to spam. The unrated levels could all be posted in the User Level section. That would be ideal, In My Opinion.
5 rates of 18/20 or better = Best
4 rates of 15/20 or better = Good
3 rates of 14/20 or worse = Unapproved
3 rates of 7/20 or worse = Spam
New levels should be posted in the User Made Level section. (UML)
And upon request, harder levels could be sent to the Hard Level Section. (HLS)
   ;D

Ebon Heart

But then there's the issue of maps that get noticed a lot when first released, so they get more and more popular, while good maps that don't get noticed a Lot, or get haters that can't beat it and give it a 1/20  just die off. Im happy with the way map search works. And a hard level section would be nice... Though not decided by the map editor, every newb thinks their map is expert only.

mthw2vc

Funny, I set my first map as 'Easy', but since its release, almost every mention of it I get includes its mislabeled difficulty. :P

RGW

Is there a way to search for maps by rating?  The value of a rating system depends greatly on three things: how often ratings are entered, how accurately they are entered, and how they help in the decision process.  I personally would like to not click on every map to see the ratings.  It would be nice to search by rating for any map that has 10 or more ratings.  I may have missed the search feature and my apologies if I have.

Michionlion

no, you have not missed it.  there was a discousion going on about adding them, and that was how the author search was introduced, but nothing else so far has been
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Ebon Heart

if you had a search based on rating, half the maps on the site wouldn't be played after the first newb downloads it then gives it 1 star because they don't feel like trying to figure it out, or they die their first try.

Michionlion

Quote from: Ebon_Heart on May 04, 2011, 05:21:20 PM
if you had a search based on rating, half the maps on the site wouldn't be played after the first newb downloads it then gives it 1 star because they don't feel like trying to figure it out, or they die their first try.

thats true too... but it could filter it so that only ones with 5 or more rating (good or bad) were counted, and anything below that didn't get sorted, but stayed in the end results.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Ebon Heart

there's also those who could rate a map from 5 differnt places, just to get their map played more, you know, home computer, cell phone, work computer, friend's computer, etc. etc.