Fearure resquest: open maps with Creeper.exe

Started by dkloke, December 10, 2010, 07:05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkloke

Hi there, love the game, now getting interested in community maps.

When I download a map i have to save it somewhere and then Import Custom Map. This is not killing me, but it would be nice if I could tell the browser to open .CWM files with "Creeper World.exe". When the EXE gets a CWM passed to it on the command line, it installs the map (and maybe saves to CWM somewhere in it's folder or some configurable location). This would save several steps that must be repeated for each CWM file.

I have not use Adobe AIR for development, bt I did find some references to getting arguments from the command line:
http://cookbooks.adobe.com/post_How_do_I_use_command_line_arguments_with_my_AIR_ap-8003.html 

Another question is if a second invocation of the EXE would pass execution to one that's already running; I usually have to game already open when I go to browse for more maps.

Some other aspects may be platform dependent.

So it may not be completely trivial.

Bu it would be really cool.

Thanks for a great game,
DK

UpperKEES

Welcome to the forums! :)

Yep, that's a good point. I suggested the same thing here, but I'm afraid we shouldn't expect many more updates in the near future....

Enjoy the custom maps!
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Echo51

Has to not be .exe induvidual, but the .air executable dependent, as im rather sure virgil likes mac support :)

(just rambling, anybody know how much virgil use his mac compared to the windows?)
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...

Kamron3

Quote from: Echo51 on December 10, 2010, 07:39:40 AM
Has to not be .exe induvidual, but the .air executable dependent, as im rather sure virgil likes mac support :)

(just rambling, anybody know how much virgil use his mac compared to the windows?)

Who would use a Mac?

Echo51

People who think paintbrushes are too oldschool :P
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...

Blaze

Quote from: Echo51 on December 10, 2010, 07:39:40 AM

From what I heard, not much.

Kapoios

Quote from: dkloke on December 10, 2010, 07:05:45 AM
When I download a map i have to save it somewhere and then Import Custom Map. This is not killing me, but it would be nice if I could tell the browser to open .CWM files with "Creeper World.exe". When the EXE gets a CWM passed to it on the command line, it installs the map (and maybe saves to CWM somewhere in it's folder or some configurable location). This would save several steps that must be repeated for each CWM file.
You can skip a step by dowloading the .cwm directly into the customgames folder (this is somewhere in Documents and Settings in Windows). Virgil said somewhere that all "Import Custom Map" does is to copy the map into that folder and give it a random name. The random name isn't important, you can simply save the map directly there. Not the best solution, but might help you a bit.