New Computer, very old CW3 backup files

Started by Helper, November 18, 2018, 02:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helper

Several years since I played, but would like to start again.
I backed up all of the CW files I could find from the computer(s) I had way back when, and know there is a way to copy certain old files into the new User location.
If someone would provide the actual name of the files containing my prior history, and the location where they belong (Windows 10 64 bit), I would appreciate it.
Also any warnings/advice/etc.
Thank you,
H

Builder17

Helper

Hi and thank you.
I read through the suggestions, but didn't see anything that helped.
I did not back up the User profile, just the CW files.
H

Builder17

If you go to your personal documents folder, copy game files to there? :)

GoodMorning

As plan B...

You'll have your key file (even I could find that one), so you could reinstall the game and then copy/paste the old files over the new ones.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Karsten75

Helper, welcome back. It has been a while. :)

I don't recall specifically which CW game you played. 1, 2 or 3?

For quicker help, hit me up on the Discord. :)

https://discord.gg/XWZhWa

Grabz

1. The "Creeper World 3" folder containing files and directories such as "CW3.exe", "CW3_Data" is the main game. You should be able to place this anywhere, and launch the game through "CW3.exe".

2. The "creeperworld3" folder containing directories such as "colonialspace", "data", "WorldEditor" is your save file and goes in your Documents folder. By typing
%userprofile%\documents
into Windows Search, it should pop you right into the Documents folder. Place the "creeperworld3" folder there.

3. The "creeperworld3" folder containing files such as "GameSettings.xml", "InputManager.xml" is the game settings folder. It goes in your appdata folder. By typing
%appdata%
into Windows Search, it should pop you right into the AppData/Roaming folder. Place the "creeperworld3" folder there.

___

If you are missing #1, you will have to redownload the game from here.
If you are missing #2, you will have lost your save file, unless you played on Steam, in which case you will be able to recover your Steam Cloud backup by just launching the game, meaning you did not need a local backup in the first place.
If you are missing #3, you should be fine, although some of your settings will be reset. Prospector Zone and Tormented Space might also be locked and could need re-unlocking, unless you mess with the configs.
For quicker response, reply to me directly at Grabz#4707 on Discord. Find me on the KC server: https://discord.gg/knucklecracker

Helper

Thank you all for the replies.
@K75 - it's been about 3 years and I have managed to forget just about everything I once kind of knew. Back when, I played all three Creeper games, and think I Beta tested 2, 3, and PF.
The CW3 files I found were kind of random, and I can't even remember why I saved them - but no matter.

The good news is I found my various licenses and have started playing CW3 again - from scratch. I realized pretty quickly that I need to go back through the entire start up series to re-learn the game and how to use the units.

I'm going to muddle through and just have some fun with it.
Thank you again, and see you around the boards.

Karsten75

OK, well, if you list the filenames, we can probably try to figure out which game they belong to and where to restore them to.  Otherwise, good luck on your journey, :)