Main Menu

Server down

Started by SPIFFEN, May 31, 2010, 12:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPIFFEN

If it's know that the server will be down for an while ,
it would be nice to get an notice about it =)
( When and for how long )

If it happends unknown , it's okey , but still confusing =P
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

Karsten75

Hmmm makes me think of this instruction:

"all unplanned outages should be preceded by 48 hours notice."

:D

But additionally, would you like it if an unplanned outage occurs and Virgil posts a notice here?
Two problems with that:
1. Virgil can't post it, because the site is down!
2. You can't read it because the site is down!   :D

SPIFFEN

He he =) i'm SPIFFEN , and says things a bit to fast as usally =P

But nice rules you made  ;)
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

The smoking revolver

I found this a problem, and i spent 15 min pressing the refresh button! :P
There is always a I in team

UpperKEES

It wasn't the server, but the provider, so really nothing you can do about that.

I just hope that nobody tried to submit a score for one of my maps after playing for more than an hour.... ;)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

knucracker

Yeah... this one caught me off guard as well.  I was in the middle of some server side work when linode (who hosts my servers) went out (it was actually the network at their co-loc facility I believe).

If you ever can't get into knucklecracker.com, head over to twitter and search for "linode".  If you see bunches of tweets about linode (in Dallas) being out recently,  then that would mean knucklecracker and thousands of other sites are AWOL as well.

Normally this should be a very rare thing.  But it has happened a few times in the last two weeks.  Hopefully, they will soon stop tripping over cables over in Dallas...

Kamron3

Quote from: virgilw on May 31, 2010, 04:31:15 PM
Yeah... this one caught me off guard as well.  I was in the middle of some server side work when linode (who hosts my servers) went out (it was actually the network at their co-loc facility I believe).

If you ever can't get into knucklecracker.com, head over to twitter and search for "linode".  If you see bunches of tweets about linode (in Dallas) being out recently,  then that would mean knucklecracker and thousands of other sites are AWOL as well.

Normally this should be a very rare thing.  But it has happened a few times in the last two weeks.  Hopefully, they will soon stop tripping over cables over in Dallas...

Echo51

You can never stop tripping over cables, its a classic ;)
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...

cquante

Quote from: UpperKEES on May 31, 2010, 02:17:16 PM
It wasn't the server, but the provider, so really nothing you can do about that.

I just hope that nobody tried to submit a score for one of my maps after playing for more than an hour.... ;)

I did for your last one!!! It was 9000 in .25 seconds.... Any chance you can just take my word and add it to the score table?

LOL!

UpperKEES

Hehehe! I take your word for it, but unfortunately I don't have access to the database.

UpperKEES

The forums seem to be rather slow over the past week. Why is that? Topics sometimes take 10-15 seconds to load and occasionally they don't load at all ("Server could not be found").

Is this because of testing issues, heavy network traffic / database queries, or is something else going on?

J

Quote from: UpperKEES on June 11, 2010, 04:00:48 PM
The forums seem to be rather slow over the past week. Why is that? Topics sometimes take 10-15 seconds to load and occasionally they don't load at all ("Server could not be found").

Is this because of testing issues, heavy network traffic / database queries, or is something else going on?
I got the same problem, I have a fast PC but if I load this site it costs 5 seconds to load (normal = 0-2 seconds)

UpperKEES

Yeah, other sites load as fast as always, so it's not my pc or internet connection....

Edit: typo

knucracker

Not sure why it seemed slow.  I've not seen any problems from here (North Carolina).  The server is hosted in Texas.
I've checked the CPU and other logs over the last month and don't see anything that is out of the ordinary or really high.  I would guess that it must have been a network problem.  Could have been anywhere and might have only affected some people depending on global location.

J

I don't have a network problem because the other sites are even fast as normal.
It's not the global location because this site was fast, but now slower.